1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to Drill Safely In Key Fob

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Buddhacrous, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Buddhacrous

Buddhacrous New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have a 2007 Prius.

Some time ago the key fob was damaged. I dropped it in water and after lots of troubleshooting I could never get it to work. None of the buttons worked and the proximity sensor for unlocking and starting the card (without inserting the key fob) also stopped working. This is the fob with the silver Toyota logo.

I didn't think it was a big deal because I was fine with taking the emergency key in and out to lock and unlock the car and to start the car I simply put the fob in the slot. I live paycheck to paycheck so I cant afford to replace it.

This past week the little notch that you slide over to unlock the emergency key broke and now every time I want to unlock the car I have to fiddle with it for a few minutes to release the key. They key itself is on a key ring and I have no way to hold the fob other than in my pocket, but I'm afraid it may be easily lost that way. If that happened I would be boned.

I had an idea and this is where I am asking for help. Does anyone know if I could drill a hole in the corner of the fob without damaging whatever the car recognizes to start the car. The idea would be to put the fob by itself on a key ring along with my other keys.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just snap it apart and take the electronics out temporarily. You'll see right where the safe spots are, and the electronics will be out of the way if you slip, anyway.

another option, make a short loop of some string, nylon wire tie with the head snipped off, etc., and Plasti-Dip it to the housing. Use a few coats. It'll be fairly secure, and no drilling or further damage to the case.

-Chap

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Amazon and eBay will sell you a "key fob case" for about $10. Be sure to transfer the transponder chip as well as the circuit board to the new case.

Buddhacrous likes this.
  4. Buddhacrous

Buddhacrous New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Practical and cheap, I like it. Thanks for the tip