1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

where to find a battery replacement in NYC?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bkcriz20, May 23, 2017.

1. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I KNOW, another one stuck with a dead battery..

I received the "Red Triangle" yesterday and I'm trying to find a reasonable route into buying a replacement Hybrid battery. I know Toyota dealerships will hit me with $3000-$4000 to replace the Hybrid battery which is insane. Toyota does leave a bad taste in my mouth considering Im a first time car owner, wouldn't they want to keep me as a loyal costumer. I bought a 2007 Prius with 90,000 miles and I was aware about the dark side of purchasing a Hybrid vehicle but I didn't think I would receive the "Red Triangle" so soon at 109,000 miles.

I want keep my 07 Prius for at least 2-3 years, do anyone know someone or a shop in NYC in the 5 boroughs that can replace or restore Hybrid batteries?. Any information will be helpful.

#1 bkcriz20, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  2. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you're a loyal customer who bought the used car from a Toyota dealership or have used their service department Toyota might be willing to give you a goodwill discount on a replacement. Contact Toyota directly instead of having the dealer do it for you.

Some dealerships are starting to install refurbished packs at a discount, too.

It never hurts to ask.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The first step is to get the codes behind the idiot light read.

It might still be under warranty. Register the car at http://www.toyota.com/owners to see the in service date and the maintenance history.

If the car is out of warranty ask the dealer about a goodwill adjustment or call Toyota if turned down.

A refurb battery isn't going to be dirt cheap and it won't be as reliable as a new one. Before going that route read the warranty and understand what it covers and doesn't cover.

SFO likes this.
  4. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So the service date is stated "April 17, 2007" so I guess I'm out of the warranty. .

5. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I do believe it's the battery. I drove two after not driving for two days. The Res Triangle indicator came back on and the Hybrid fan started to make a noise. When I try to accelerate my car bearly could home.

Idk I can be wrong but from many post, articles and readings it sounds like symptoms of a dead hybrid battery..

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You first need to make sure the diagnosis. Bad 12v sometimes causes issue, and a few other things like overheat due to clogged fan.
    Toyota has been pretty good about helping when so close to warranty. Be nice.

HV Battery Goodwill Warranty Listing - Toyota Prius USA | PriusChat

7. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So I'm off by a month from getting warranty. I received codes P0A80 and P03017.

The dealership didn't want to give me assistance and then I went outside the dealership called Toyota directly and they didn't want me to give me assistance.

I have an 07 Prius with 108,840 miles. I only had the car for alittle over a year (I'm the second owner). I had the warranty for 10yr/150,000 miles and since the car was first used on April 14, 2007 I'm not longer available for warranty. So I'm stuck with $3471.65. Don't know what to do now.

8. Errrrick

Errrrick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey bkcriz20, did you find a solution for this? I'm in the same boat. PriusKings in BK does rebuild replacements. Great reviews and the owner picked up first time I called and walked through options. Gen 2 battery starting at 895+tax, 6mo warranty, 350 to install. Gen 3 starts at 1295, 1 yr warranty. (includes diagnostic to make sure you indeed need battery replacement)

I haven't been able to get quotes at other places like Falcon Hybrid in Jersey bc they won't call back.

9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here on PriusChat we have had very few people with good rebuilt battery experiences from the companies selling them.Properly rebuilding, balancing, & testing the battery pack takes time and the replaced modules are also used, success cannot be assumed.
    BTW, Toyota lowered their battery price at the beginning of this year.
    For DIY we have a user here selling a kit of new cells that has been giving good results. They may be back-ordered though. Link is in my signature.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. Errrrick

Errrrick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, thanks for the insight. Will look into the new kit as well.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. marsplex

marsplex New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i watched some videos and it seems fairly simple to replace this battery, have done many timing belts, wheel bearings, axles, swapped doors and fenders, all kinds of stuff and many makes of cars and trucks and putting a new battery in a Prius seems simple, at lest to me. That said did you ever take more action on this situation?

12. gregheadman

gregheadman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought a Dorman Hybrid battery replacement with a 3-year warranty having issues now at seven months they're sending me another battery no charge so that's an option. I installed it myself. It's a lot of work but it's more affordable. And I understand they are using a new improved conditioning and balancing?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

13. gregheadman

gregheadman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And I think the battery ships out of like New Jersey somewhere near the east coast. because I asked why it takes so long to get it to me and they said because it ships out from the East Coast. Takes 2 weeks for me to get it to the West Coast (Las Vegas.) $1300 after core return. All shipping included.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.