1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to get error codes read? Red Triangle, (!), check engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Syl, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Syl

Syl New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2005 prius has been throwing dash lights and having starting (and also turning on on acc-mode, and not powering off, requiring a computer reset) issues in the last couple weeks.

I just replaced my 5.5yo 12v battery this month.

I replaced the hybrid battery in summer of 2015 with a rehabbed GreenTec battery (18mo warranty).

I do not have access to a Techstream but I'd love to plug it in to read error codes. I called a local AutoZone and they can "only read check engine error codes" and tried to diagnose based on the lights I was reporting.

Just the other day, in bitter cold, it threw these dash lights and wouldn't turn on beyond this. It also wouldn't turn off for me. My partner could get it to turn off and on several times 30 minutes later.

3%C6EV7SQNm5EFn5lWeeTw.jpg

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    how many miles on her?
    test the 12v even though it is new.

might be a bad combo meter

if you don't want to buy tech stream and an old compatible lap top, dealer is your only option.
    there are some phone apps that work pretty well, you can find threads here .

3. Syl

Syl New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks bisco!!

It's got 166k on it, with 99k having been my miles in the last 10+ years.

I have been searching for the iOS apps and OBD-II readers on here today.

I'm wondering if the 12v isn't installed properly.

Tried starting it up since I park on the street and need to move for tomorrow, and it proceeded to do the following: (see photos)
    Not a happy car. The green P(arking) light was flashing on and off.

Attached Files:

bisco likes this.
  4. Syl

Syl New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Reviewing my options....Will the ScanGauge II offer the same code readings as the OBD2 readers like the Kiwi 3, VeePeek BLE with the apps OBD Fusion or Car Scanner?

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Disconnect the 12V battery for a few minutes, then reconnect. The point of that is to allow all ECUs to reset. Maybe the car can be started.

If you have a multimeter, read the voltage on the 12V battery. If you don’t, turn on the headlights and see how bright they are. Maybe the battery needs to be charged although it is relatively new.

Skibob likes this.
  6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I noticed your gas gauge is showing one dot. Is it a blinking one dot? If so, but you're confident you have more fuel than that, it's a very good indication you have an intermittent connection at the 12v battery, or a battery state of charge issue.

The fuel level always defaults to,one blinking dot after loss of 12v power. It will calibrate itself and return to normal.Sometimes 15 minutes, sometimes significantly longer.

SFO likes this.
  7. Syl

Syl New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, that's brand new with the strange dash lights. At last drive, it was more than 1/2 tank and I've never had issues with my fuel gauge.

8. Syl

Syl New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Having checked a number of threads, my sense is it's the 12v not properly connected.

My second hunch would be a problem with the hybrid battery.

The symptoms don't seem to fit the combo meter going bad.

I'm going to see if my mechanic can reseat the 12v for me (I had PepBoys do the install on a Sunday), and ensure he's got the code readers to assess the 12v and hybrid batteries. If not, I'll contact the two/three repair shops in the area that specialize in hybrids.

We've had a good ride and I don't want to throw it out the window... I plan on getting another few years from Pri! It's been paid off for five of the last ten years with the following maintenance and repairs:

front wheel bearing x3 replaced, brake calipers x1, exhaust system x1, muffler x2 (covered the second time), hybrid battery x1 at 136k, 12v battery x2.

#8 Syl, Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    bisco likes this.
  9. toymo

toymo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]

This is what happened to me last month with the lights, message, and everything. The remedy was EXTREMELY SIMPLE and only took ONE STEP.

Did you follow the instructions on the screen????

What I did was depress the parking brake all the way down into the floor mat per the message (yes, it really is that simple), the cars computer resets, and the DTCs go away. Drive as normal.

#9 toymo, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is the parking brake the regular brake or the emergency brake?

11. Syl

Syl New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good question. Evidently it's something that occurs when the 12v battery is so drained that the sensor cannot ascertain whether the brake is fully engaged or not.

I checked this morning, and my 12v battery is only 4.8-8.3 volts. I couldn't even go in and check via the accessory mode. Don't want to go back to PepBoys to have them check whether there's something else wrong besides a junk 12v battery... whether it's the HV battery or the DC-DC inverter. I ended up bringing it to a local shop that has someone trained in hybrids. Jumped and drove it there. They'll get to it this week and I hope to know more!

bisco likes this.
  12. HyperStryker

HyperStryker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IIRC it is referring to the emergency brake (the one with the small lever in the leftmost area of the footwell). It only makes sense because if the computer detects and issue with the parking pawl, it cannot be sure that the car will not roll away. Thus, the emergency brake would need to be applied.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco likes this.
  13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's the one with the pedal that ratchets down and locks, so it can hold the car in one place when it's parked and you're not in it to hold the pedal down.

It doesn't make a great emergency brake really; too easy to lose control trying to brake a moving car with a ratcheting-pedal parking brake, unless you have the presence-of-mind-under-pressure to double-press it right at first so the ratchet's off. If it was the only way to not fall in the river, yeah, I guess I'd use it....

While it's fun that toymo's issue seemed to go away, in connection with applying the parking brake, that's really just how it worked out in that case. It doesn't mean applying the parking brake 'resets' something, or fixes the P lock problem.

The reason the MFD message tells you to apply the parking brake, when the transmission P lock isn't working, is to keep your car from rolling away, since without the P lock working, nothing else is going to do that.

A very common reason for a P lock error to be logged is aux battery voltage too low to work the P lock motor. "4.8-8.3 volts" definitely qualifies as too low. Take care of that problem and any P lock issues will probably be solved.

-Chap

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but its a brand new 12v

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Aaaack! I spoke carelessly and violated my own rule! :eek:

... when the transmission control ECU complains about low voltage, it's complaining about low voltage at the transmission control ECU ... which could be very much about wiring, connectors, or other sources of voltage drop, and not an automatic guilty verdict for the battery. Has to be tracked down.

But didn't Syl say 4.8 to 8.3 volts were measured at the battery? Again, even that doesn't necessarily mean the battery's the ultimate culprit. Maybe it's not getting charged. But that's easy to test. Is it 13.8 or so back there when the car is READY?

Either way, the battery will be happier with some charge pumped back in....

-Chap

Syl and bisco like this.
  16. toymo

toymo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I completely forgot to mention the fact that prior to experiencing the OPs symptoms, the drivers-side door was open for over 3 days which left a few lights on and inevitably drained my 12v aux battery. When discovered on the 3rd day, I had to crawl into the trunk and access the 12v battery (an 5+ year old OPTIMA yellow top) and connect it to a Schumacher Electric 1200 Amp Car Battery Jump Starter Charger where I was able to revive the Prius and get it to the Transmission P lock mechanism MFD message to re-engage the Transmission Control ECU back to normal driving.

If Syl had tightened all loose electrical connections to the 12v aux battery, turned-off all accessories, properly engaged and locked all electro-mechanical doors, and established there aren't any other sinks nor leakages, there would not be only 4.8-8.3 volts remaining on a brand new 12v battery.

#16 toymo, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2018
    bisco likes this.
  17. Syl

Syl New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps. We'll have to see! I don't have a way to establish that there aren't any other sinks or leakages, or to test that it's even charging. I'll let you know what I find out later this week. Currently a one-car household.

18. Syl

Syl New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    SURPRISE!!! Fuel sensor failure. According to them, my battery is testing fine at this point. They added fuel, and it was ok. But if the fuel sensor goes, and it thinks it has no fuel, the gas engine won't start and neither will the electric motor. Thus why my car was suddenly behaving oddly in the middle of the week? I'm not feeling psyched.

Diagnostics, part and repair cost $1200. I'm expecting another shoe to drop if I repair this, and it'll be something else (too). They did say I could just keep it topped up and it should be ok at the moment.

I had seen all those reports on here about the fuel sensor being funny. I thought I was darn lucky that I had never had issues with the fuel gauge in my 10+ years. :/

19. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replacement of the fuel gauge sensor requires replacement of the entire fuel tank. You potentially could buy a used tank and have that installed.

However, how low do you allow the fuel level to get when this problem happens? You should not allow the fuel level to get under two bars (out of 10) even it all is well.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV