1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to get HID for 2nd Gen prius? Other than dealer.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GalenB, Feb 18, 2022.

1. GalenB

GalenB New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've searched the website for this problem and most links are too old and don't work. I read that Philips bulbs sold on Amazon are best but I've tried two from there and neither worked for more than a few seconds. I thought possibly it was the ballast so I moved my good bulb to the other side and it still works but any new bulb shuts down after a few seconds on the side that the working bulb just vacated.

I tried:

and this ( though I think this was the wrong type)

Where are you buying your bulbs? Could you provide a link?

This is my father-in-laws car who recently passed and we are trying to get it ready to sell.

Thank you for your help!!

2. GalenB

GalenB New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry, not sure why the links didn't show up.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, first off Gen2 Prius in the US were only built until 2009 and according to your profile you have a 2010 Prius. I don't have enough experience with Gen3 headlights to help. But assuming this car is a Gen2 and the year your car was built is in error, these stupid HID headlights suck in every way!

Day before yesterday the nearest auto parts store in town quoted me the outrageously stupid amount of $149 for just one bulb. And how do you know it's the bulb, not the ballast or the type of bulb as you've clearly demonstrated...

The best solution I always tell people is to spend $150 on a pair of replacement lenses/case that hold standard type 9003 headlight bulbs and rewire the system using Dorman Headlight Sockets 84790. Once that's done you and the future owner will have all kinds of headlight bulbs to choose from that will work without issue and no more stupid ballast that's main feature is ripping people off due to lack of compatibility with other headlight bulbs.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's a good price... Do you have any sense how often the failure of one of these lights is actually the bulb vs. how often it's the ballast?

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I take care of 3 Gen 2s with HIDs and have never replaced a ballast...over a period of 7 years?

PriusCamper likes this.
  7. GalenB

GalenB New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Thanks a lot! I'll give them a try!