1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to get Prius service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bgrant, Aug 7, 2008.

1. bgrant

bgrant New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Anyone have any tips on how to pick a good service station for Prius service? I'd rather not pay for dealer service, but I don't have a good sense of how different servicing a hybrid is compared to other cars to know whether a service station with a generally good reputation should be competent to service a Prius. (If anyone has a recommendation specifically in the Bethesda MD area, that would be great.) Thanks.

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    All you should need are oil & filter changes and tire rotations. Nothing special so DIY or take the Prius where you took your last car.

3. Prius_Gnome

Prius_Gnome Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never understood why people don't get the oil change and tire rotations at the dealership and insist on a non-dealer. At the dealership, oil change is about 24.95 and tire rotation is about 21.95. There might be some environmental fees and taxes. My dealership regularly sends me coupons so I get the oil change at 14.95. How much would you save per visit if you went to a non-dealer... $10? I see that $20 per year as insurance in case my Prius craps out and I can prove to Toyota that it was properly maintained at one of their dealerships.

4. Prius driver

Prius driver New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  5. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    obviously you do not live in california, where the going rate for an oil change + tire rotatation and "free" yes "free" 21 point inspection is $95

if people are going to keep insisting that toyota dealers are "are not that much more expensive then non dealers" im going to start posting scans of actual ads and coupons that prove they are not.

oh yeah and the going rate for changing your cabin air filter is $69.95

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Each dealer is free to set its own pricing, and each customer is free to shop around. My local Toyota dealer in south OC charges $27 for an engine oil and oil filter change.

7. bstanier

bstanier New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Only $95? Nearly double that in the UK. But they give you extra value by overfilling!

8. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    and how much more do they want for a tire rotation and the "free" 21 point inspection?

or is it included?

Each dealer is free to set its own pricing, and each customer is free to shop around. My local Toyota dealer in south OC charges $27 for an engine oil and oil filter change.

9. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    generally all that is needed for maintenance is an oil and filter change. most people are scared of the dealer because, in case you dont know, the service writers are paid by commision only and are going to upsell you things you likely dont need. that said, unless you are too green when it comes to service, the dealer is a great place for maintenance as long as you are not afraid to say NO!

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do all scheduled maintenance myself, so I haven't inquired about that. In general, if you have to pay for tire rotation, you would be better off not having tire rotation done and saving that money for your new tire fund.

If you don't have your tires rotated, then the front tires will wear out relatively quickly. At that point, move the used rear tires to the front and buy two new tires for the rear.

If you like the idea of periodic tire rotations, most tire shops will offer free rotations after you have bought tires from their store.

I rotate the tires myself, and think of that as part of my physical fitness program. However I recognize that most owners do not have the facilities or motivation to DIY.

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i'd sooner do maintenance myself. but if it requires equipment i don't have (lately, tire machine), i already know most of the people at the dealership. helps that they all know i know my stuff and don't bs me.

service writers aren't the only 100% commissioned employees at the service shop. techs are too, and they're the ones who are upselling your service. sometimes that's in your best interest, sometimes not. they're more inclined to find things like torn boots that DO need replacing and push you to replace them before you need half shafts- stuff that costs many, many times more than boots. you get a hell of a meticulous inspection by a tech who needs hours. but you also could get pushed into buying something you DON'T need... that's the not so good for you part.

12. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have yet to get hosed by my service dept but then I do watch them like a hawk. I have said "No" on occassion, and did stare down the Service Mgr once. But I kind of like the GM. a nice guy if a bit young (30's). I guess it helps to have rich parents who put your name on the dealership..

13. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At most dealers you will pay a lot less if you insist on doing *only* what is shown in the Scheduled Maintenance Guide instead of letting the service writer stick you with one of their "packages". I prefer a dealer because they at least nominally know how to drive the car and have no excuse if they drain the inverter coolant instead of the oil, etc. Kwicky loob places can be death.