1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to go for transaxle fluid change?

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by justlurkin, Jul 24, 2009.

1. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for reading my question!

It won't be long before my '07 reaches 20K miles, and having gone through the various threads on properly maintaining the Prius in the Technical forum, it sounds like a good idea to have the WS transaxle fluid replaced at 20,000 miles to get rid of all the metal filings and dissolved contaminants that accumulate from the normal wearing-in of the moving parts in the Power Split Device... Especially considering that the windings in the MG1 and MG2 motors are exposed to the fluid.

So my question: Where should I go to get the transaxle fluid changed? I asked the service rep at Star Toyota in Bayside and he says the fluid should not be changed for the lifetime of the car, so I'm hesitant about asking them to do it for me (not sure if their techs have the experience to do it right if they recommend against changing the fluid for the lifetime of the car.)

Thanks for helping a fellow Long Islander out!

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I can't point you to a shop in Long Island, only offer some general comments.

Since you've apparently done your homework, you probably also have read that many dealers have told owners the fluid never needs changing. You might educate yours: Print out from PriusChat some of the results of actual testing of the fluid that show viscosity breakdown and accumulation of particles.

If you still prefer to use a shop other than the dealer, then refer the dependable shop of your choice to this. Studying that should assure the technician it takes no special skill or tools to do it. I consider myself mechanically challenged, but I plan to do my own tomorrow.

As for your 20K schedule, some might consider that a little aggressive. For a 2001-2003 model, that would be appropriate, but the fluid in the redesigned 2004-2009 models seems to lead a considerably easier life. The consensus seems to be about 60K for a change. Mine is at 58K+.

3. NASCAR Mike

NASCAR Mike Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Trans fluid is cheap. It's worth every penny to get rid of the metal residue that occurs from normal wear and tear.

I plan to change my trans fluid every 20k miles including the filter.

4. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The European maintenance schedule says to 'inspect' the fluid every 4 years/36,000 miles in normal operation, and in 'severe' use, to inspect every 3 years/27,000 miles, replace after 6 years/54,000 miles.

Our engine oil change interval is 1 year/9,000 miles!

5. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I do not see it as a necessity at 20K Ml but I would shop around for a Toyo dealer with a large service center facility and ask for prices and ask for the training that their "PRIUS" mechanic had being involved.
    Of the 4 local toyo service stations I had visit for warranty matters, 3 out of the 4 were arrogant morons with not experience.