1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to place suction cups?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by archie70, Sep 26, 2010.

1. archie70

archie70 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Aside from the windshield any other place to place a suction cup, as in to hold my cell phone or GPS unit? I tried using the silver trim but that didn't hold for long. Currently, Im resting my cell either in the front cup holder or resting against the center screen.

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I put my GPS suction cup on top of the dash, to the left of the MFD.

My GPS came with a round flat dash disc, which accepts the suction cup. You can either stick the dash disc on with its adhesive backing, or use Velcro tape which is how I do it --- I don't want to alert thieves by leaving a very visible dash disc there.

First photo below shows the Velcro squares on bottom of dash disc and top of dash; and the second photo shows the GPS in place:

[IMGLINK]http://priuschat.com/forums/attachments/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/8529d1207855474-where-do-you-put-your-aftermarket-gps-in-your-prius-013.jpg[/IMGLINK]

[IMGLINK]http://priuschat.com/forums/attachments/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/8530d1207855474-where-do-you-put-your-aftermarket-gps-in-your-prius-014.jpg[/IMGLINK]

Notice that I used only one of those small, pre-cut Velcro squares. It's been on for over two years and it still works and the glue hasn't run. However, you might want to use more Velcro squares or a larger strip of Velcro, especially if you're in a hot climate.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A cautionary note: in the past another poster was inspired to use the MFD screen as a convenient suction cup mounting surface. That was a really bad idea which destroyed the screen, resulting in a four-digit repair bill.

4. archie70

archie70 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Boo, thanks for the visual and Pat thanks for the warning.

I was hoping not to use anything sticky as in velcro. Guess I'll just have to continue resting my cell against the MFD screen. Actually works well with my evo since the screen auto rotates between portrait and landscape but does slip off on brisk accelerations.

5. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use the proclip centre mount to hold mine in the same position... pricy but very nice.

6. krg03

krg03 Not expert, just experienced

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I used silcone on the top smooth of the dash (vent cover) just to the right of where Boo put his base at. Big blob of Silcone, peals off if you need to without any problem or maring. I use it to paste my iPhone base down to and also leveled it with a bit higher on one side than the other. One warning. It still gets very hot in this area even with the AC on since the sun is directly on the phone. The velcro for me pealed off in the heat as the glue melted.