1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to power external lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Davidude, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Davidude

Davidude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Looking at installing two small light bars on my 05. I installed a lightbar on my motorcycle and wired it to the headlight of that. Didn't have to do any work for that. However, I can't wire my external lights to the headlights on my Prius. Where should I power them? I'd rather not run a wire all the way to the battery but I can if that's the only option. I can't use an always-on power source. I would like to plug them into my fuse box but I really have no idea how to pick one and what to do to plug it into. I'm going to be buying something like these. Looking at this harness, which leaves me only looking for a power source. Can I wire them in addition to my fog lights?

#1 Davidude, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. Davidude

Davidude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base

Awesome, thank you! I never updated my profile after getting a new Prius. Can I plug it into any fuse I want to? I'd like to use the engine compartment if I can, maybe plug it between 24 and 25.

4. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Fuse 25 is for the right hand headlight low beam, which is 55 watts, or 4.5 Amps, the fuse is for 15 Amps and you are going to add 3 amps, so it should NOT blow the fuse, and should come on with low beams!
    Page 305, If you have HIDs, they are only 3 Amps so you have even more 'room'.

Davidude likes this.
  5. Davidude

Davidude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Can I plug it into 25 while still being able to use my right hand headlight low beam? I want to control these aftermarket lights individually. I was thinking of plugging it into the empty fuse spot between them. Not sure how to figure out how much power that empty one has though. No HIDs, my lights are almost useless

6. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you add the switch shown in your harness, you will be able to control when to add the light bars.

I have no idea if the blank fuses have power to them, but you can test!

Davidude likes this.
  7. Davidude

Davidude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Cool, I'll plug them into fuse 25 and also 27 if I need to. Thanks for the help!

8. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another option is to tap and wire in a fuse to the jump point in the front of the car. It has a 10mm nut, and it's easy to buy a connector to fit on it. IIRC, it's wired to the battery with a 100A fuse. I tapped this point, adding a fuse holder and 15A fuse for installing fog lights.

When adding light bars, make sure and research your regulations! They either need to be "fog lights", mounted below a certain level, only on with low beams, and project the light below where the headlights project, or be "driving lights", and only on with high beams. I've added both aftermarket fog lights and driving lights on my Prius.

For my driving lights, I used a H4 extension, and then just tapped the high beam wire. Example:

#8 Kevin_Denver, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  9. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have installed both fog lights and LED light bars to my Prius. I had a very electric minded person help me so forgive me if the terminolog is not 100% correct. Both times we grounded one wire to the bottom of the car and pushed the other inside through where the A.C. drips out, than ran the wire behind the dash to the switch and than powered it with an add a circut from the fuse panel under the steering wheel. Only thing is you cant put the fuse cover back on. I think it works great and was pretty hassle free all things considered. I have some pictures just ask if you are interested