1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to put my iPhone

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by mikenancy1, Mar 9, 2013.

1. mikenancy1

mikenancy1 2012 PiP (Base), '10 Highlander Hybrid, '05 Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Has anyone come up with a good place to put an iPhone so it is easily visible to the driver? I like to use Waze for my GPS, rather than the Toyota version, so I need to have it where I can see it. I don't want to cover the heating vent with one of the clip holders, and I don't have any other great ideas that wouldn't involve sticking something permanent to the dash.

2. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We mount a Garmin (about the same dimensions) with it's suction cup mount in that little triangle window to left of driver. Maybe there's something like that available for IPhone?

4. mikenancy1

mikenancy1 2012 PiP (Base), '10 Highlander Hybrid, '05 Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good thought. I'll try that.

5. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Around here street people (ie Bums) see the mounts (or the ring left when you dismount them) and break into the car looking for the GPS that you put in the glove box.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Firephoenix1980

Firephoenix1980 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    zhutton and mnml like this.
  7. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I keep mine in the front cupholder and let MapQuest turn-by-turn talk to me. I keep a mental picture of the route in my mind so I seldom need to look at the screen.

BCP likes this.
  8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    "Where to put my iPhone?"

In the trash... Android guy here. :D

SalixIncendium likes this.
  9. eyespii

eyespii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have this Mountek mount, and can attest to how sturdy and solid the thing feels. Super easy to install, and completely removable without any permanent damage to the vehicle. Also love how it's adjustable too. Do note that when installing it in the PiP however, a small part of the mount will obscure the top part of the LCD screen. For that reason alone, I actually don't use mine much any more. I've used ProClip mounts before, and I'm thinking about picking one up.

ChipL likes this.
  10. EOB

EOB New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got a cupholder phone holder for my galaxy S3 in my 2010 P3 from amazon. I put in in the holder that's under the sliding armrest (the rearward cupholder). I'm really tall so have my seat all the way back (I'm getting seat extenders installed) and have the seat-back tilted back. This means that I can rest my arm on the slid-back center console armrest and operate my touch screen without extending my arm. The cupholder phone holder is really sturdy - but the actual cup holder under the armrest is removeable, so I need to lock the actual cupholder down somehow to make the phone really locked in so I can push the physical buttons on the side of the phone without the holder wobbling.

Plugged phone into the cig lighter in the center console and then also hooked up the phone earphone jack to the aux plug also in the center console and am streaming iheart radio (which I like better than paying for xm or listening to ads on FM). The aux setup I just connected, and found that the phone thinks an earbud/mic's installed, so the bluetooth speaker/mic is over ridden. I'm guessing there might be a setting to prioritize bluetooth. The 2010 P3 doesn't appear to stream audio via BT, just phone.

hope this helps ?

11. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like what I saw.... But the LCD thing, would that be the same issue for any G3 Prius?

12. eyespii

eyespii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I believe so, yes. However, I've never tried it personally.

13. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I took the suction cup part of a garmin mount off and filled the bottom up with 7 minute epoxy. Just as it was about to harden i put saran wrap on the area of the center console where it was going and pressed it down onto that so it would custom fit to the curve. Then I used 3m double sided permanent tape to hold it in place. It's amazing how strong that stuff really is. To me this was the perfect iphone/ipod mounting area.

The cradle is a DICE iphone mount. It rocks and it can fit any apple device on it. I also used 3m doubled sided take to stick the socket part of the garmin mount to the back of the cradle. Just needed to dremel off the curved bits that normally hold a gps.

[​IMG]

14. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
  15. eyespii

eyespii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here you go - just snapped this on my 2013 prius plug in.

Attached Files:

16. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  17. iClaudius

iClaudius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My pocket. Bluetooth rules. I use the tethering hotspot option from AT&T. All the phone and Entunes functions work from the Prius touch screen.

18. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I stream Pandora a lot so need to connect through Entunes.. have a cradle/spot allocated for it would be great.

19. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought the universal mount so I could watch gauges on Dashcommand. It works very well for that and is quite rigid. Mounting to the A-pillar window keeps it out of the way yet in reach.

20. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    thanks.. I love the idea but it does block the navi screen as suspected. I'll post the $2 one I found shortly!