1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to start? Red triangle and codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Elisa daSilva, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Elisa daSilva

Elisa daSilva Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I almost ran out of gas two days ago. After filling up, I got the red triangle when I turned my car on. It probably has nothing to do with what’s going on but just trying to give all the information.

My oil was a little low so I added a quart. The triangle is still there so I took it to Auto Zone to check codes.

The codes are c1241(low battery positive voltage),c1310(malfunction in HV system), c1343(malfunction in hydraulic system RR, c1344(malfunction in hydraulic system RL)

I know this means I have a problem with my Brake system but don’t know what.
    I’m wondering if it could be something easy to fix or am I looking at something that’s too hard to take on with little experience and/or going to cost a lot?
    Edit: They checked the 12v battery and it’s fine.

#1 Elisa daSilva, Apr 11, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would look into the C1241 first. It doesn't always mean the 12 volt battery (because the code is about the voltage arriving at the skid control ECU, so all the wiring and connectors on the path between the battery and that ECU could also be suspects). But a quick check of the 12 V battery voltage is an easy call when you've been given this code.

If that battery shows without a good charge, you might give it a good full charge, then clear your codes and see what comes back. You've already posted the codes here, so clearing them won't risk losiing important clues.

3. Elisa daSilva

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, I forgot to put they checked the battery and it’s fine.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Still C1241 after "they checked the battery and it's fine"?

That means it's time to break out the multimeter and the wiring diagrams (more info) and track down where the voltage drop is happening on the way to the skid control ECU.

5. Elisa daSilva

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So you think it’d be the skid control and not the actuator?

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would be guided by what the skid control ECU is telling you, by way of the trouble codes it has given, and I would not be too eager to shoot the messenger. Most often when a car's ECU gives a trouble code, it doesn't mean the ECU is bad, it's just doing its job to tell you about whatever the trouble code means.

Do you still have that C1241 code? If so, something is inadequate about the power reaching that ECU. You say they've ruled out the battery, so it's now a matter of going over the rest of that power path that they haven't ruled out yet.

There is more on troubleshooting C1241 in this post (just ignore the stuff there about other codes).

If you have other brake system codes too, but one of them is C1241, I would still be inclined to focus on that one first. Get adequate power coming to the brake system, then see what it says about any other codes.

Edit: speaking of 'actuator' and 'ECU', it looks like in that post I just linked, I talked about the 'actuator' having a 'system 1' and 'system 2', when I meant the ECU. Oops.

Elisa daSilva likes this.
  7. Elisa daSilva

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m wondering if it could be a relay or fuse.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Everybody says that because those are the two electrical components they've heard of. (Outside of wires and connectors, which also are worth checking.)

There's rarely much point in trying to leap out ahead of diagnosis. The wiring diagram will show everything (including relays and fuses) involved in that path. Using a multimeter to trace along that path from where the power is to where the power isn't, eventually you find the one place the power arrives and doesn't leave. If that's a relay or fuse, then you've found it. If it's something else, you've still found it.