1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to take power for auxillary?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Lari, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Lari

Lari Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello to everyone,

I've bought a second hand 2013 3rd Gen Prius Plug-in. It's still running great and I'm super happy with it. No issues whatsover.

Now as a radio amateur, I've got a bad tendance to install a ham-radio in my car. Best option would be to have continuous power from the battery, but as I've understand - Prius doesn't like if it's 12V battery runs even a bit low. So my question is, what would be a good spot to draw power from? Preferably a connection which would cut power when car is turned off.

Thank you in advance!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    cigarette lighter wires... Of course it's always better to run your HAM radio on it's own 12v system so it doesn't turn on and off everytime you turn the car on and off. So you could connect wires direct to the 12v battery, or you could connect it to a seperate 12v and plug it in to charge 12v while car is on.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You may want to have a look through this thread from 2016, also about a ham installation.

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Wrong.

It is made to be turned on and off just like any other radio receiver.

And if it is OFF at the radio......it won't even "know" if the car is on or off.

Ed Beaty likes this.
  5. BrokeBack831

BrokeBack831 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    With a relay you could get power from battery directly and use a switch or a signal from car to turn it on or off.