1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where would you like to see a plug to charge a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by 1davide, Aug 12, 2006.

1. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Aug 15 2006, 02:14 PM) [snapback]303727[/snapback]</div>
    I would imagine it would be like what I've seen at Costco and some malls...a box to plug in to.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Aug 15 2006, 04:23 PM) [snapback]303733[/snapback]</div>
    Yep.

Kyocera has a "Solar Grove" over their parking lot. Solar panels shade the cars and generate electricity. I see this concept expanding to shopping malls and places like CostCo. Businesses with large buildings should be putting solar on their roofs anyway. If they invest big, they can provide what they need plus charge their customer's cars. Charge your car while you shop. If they're smart they'll provide it for free. Because while you're waiting for your car to charge.....you're shopping.

3. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    When I saw the question my reaction was "why not have multiple access points"?

The success or failure of a "plug-in" will in large part be determined how well it integrates with everyones needs. So to actually ask the question "where" it should be located really begs a different approach.

Ease of use will promote use. That small concept is usually the difference how the public will view the plug-in concept. The Prius has proven itself being innovative. A plug-in Prius should continue to be as innovative.

I suggest three points of charging:

1. For those who have a garage I would suggest that a system to provide for inductive charging. That way the main place you would charge the car (your home) would make it the safest and easiest. Inductive charging would prevent the "oops" I forgot to unplug the car when I drove out of the garage.

2. An interface on the front of the car. In the front bumper.

3. An interface on the back of the car. In the rear bumper.

This configuration would allow all users "easy" access no matter if it requires front or rear charging. It also would allow users to automatically connect to the charging system at home.

The multiple points of charging in the front and back of the car would allow access to different charging stations configurations. I would suggest that the "oops" factor would be less when charging at a location other than your home.

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The cheapest alternative:
    I would like to see my plug in anyone else's outlet. :lol:

Just kidding . . . but, in the future, I can see that being more of a concern -Covert drive-by electric rustling. :eek:

Never before in our technological history will the average person have had the capacity to steal large quantities of electricity via a mobile platform.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For those of us who might tend to forget the car is plugged in before we drive off, a 'lapple' plug might work. What's a lapple, you ask? An Apple laptop computer, of course! I'm thinking of the magnetic 'break away' plugs that just fall off when you trip over the cord.

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For those who *don't* have a garage or private parking, see my
    earlier post. Jeanie, could you lift a fairly compact box weighing
    about 30 pounds into the back of the car? 40? What would be a
    good "pack weight" for most people to schlep in and out of a vehicle?
    _H*

7. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Aug 15 2006, 10:44 PM) [snapback]303876[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with front AND rear charging ports, but IMHO, an indutive charging port should be an option (at additional cost). Inductive ports will only be another point of failure, not to mention that there are power losses due to the nature of the connection.

The other thing is that I don't like the retractible cords to be built into the car. This presents another failure point in the system. Standard male-sockets (as are used on RVs) are readily available and an inexpensive solution, that already has a quick-release feature. The power cords needed can be obtained anywhere at very low cost, compared to what a built-in retractible would cost. There are already stand-alone retractible cords made for RVs that can be stored in the trunk (as another option).

Lastly, whoever designs these ports must really consider securing them, like a locking fuel door. If they are covered only by rubber boots, they will be targets for curious children and vandals! I suggested (above) having the ports open with an SKS, but that too should be an option (at additional cost) for people like me. The simplest way to secure the port, would be to use the exact same mechanism as in a fuel door.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth...

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rand Reed @ Aug 16 2006, 07:37 PM) [snapback]304388[/snapback]</div>
    I'd like to add to get them up off the bumper. The bumper is an area that gets damaged more than the rest of the car. Putting them in either the front or back bumper invites damage and if a bumper needs to be replaced, it adds to the cost and complication.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Aug 16 2006, 07:30 PM) [snapback]304381[/snapback]</div>
    20lbs

I have two herniated discs and am not supposed to lift anything heavier than 20 lbs.

I'm not the only one. I had no idea how many people also have back problems. My Dad. My brother-in-law. His friend. If you're talking about battery packs that are switched in and out....I think that's a bad ideain the short term. To get more and more people to switch over to electric of any kind you have to keep it simple. I think that's why the Prius is so popular. You *don't* have to plug it in. For those willing to go the next step (while some of the population hasn't even gone to the first step yet) you need to keep it simple. Having to lift a heavy battery in and out isn't the way to go. Not yet. And by the time it is, they'll be lighter and more powerful and maybe worth the bother. We're not there yet.

9. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm also a little worried about forgetting to unplug the cable after awhile. So I would vote for a plug in the passanger door, next to the handle. That way I can't get in the car w.o. unplugging.

Joking aside, I think that either front (radiator) or back (trunk lid) works, maybe an option to get both?

I would like it to stand out a bit style wise but look cool. Think IPOD. I want people to see that I'm plugging it in. As part of driving a Plug-In will include getting peoples attention to the fact plug-in exists.

10. 1davide

1davide New Member

Excellent input so far, from all of you! Thank you! :D

I tried to summarize your input so far in our wiki:

http://hybrids-plus.com/pmwiki/index.php?n=Ext.YourInput
    • Regarding inductive charging: we love it too. But we are not sure its extra cost is worth it.
    • Regarding driving off while plugged-in: you can't; our system makes sure of that.
    • Regarding lugging batteries inside for charging: it takes 2 people to lift one, plus more reasons.
    One question that I feel wasn't answered adequately yet is: how high would you prefer to see the plug, or how high could you accept it to be?
    • Just below the bumper?
    • In the bumper?
    • Just above the bumper?
    • In the rear hatch?
    • In the front hood?
    • 2, 3, 4, 5 feet of the ground?
    But, really, I am really thankful for your input so far!

D'de

11. stevedegraw

stevedegraw Member

Maybe a standard plug like for an RV under the front hood. If the hood is up, you can't see and you can't forget you're charging. I agree that bumper areas are too prone to bumps and damage.

A portable energy stealing platform, that's pretty clever.

It would be great if Toyota would chime in with what they are thinking...

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe Toyota is waiting to see what we come up with? Personally, I like the idea of another fuel filler door opposite the existing one. The tooling wouldn't require extensive changes, and I think people would understand the symbolism of "filling up" with electricity instead of gas.

13. mmmdowning

mmmdowning Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I would like to see it behind the lisence plate's. In Virginia we have to have tags on the front and rear of the car. I think concealment is the best. Remember the older cars that had the gas cap behind the pull down tag?

14. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mmmdowning @ Aug 17 2006, 11:31 AM) [snapback]304774[/snapback]</div>
    My favorite were the cars with the gas cap hidden behind the tail light. SO . . .

What I would like to see for the Plug-in Prius:

1) The left tail light swings out of the way to reveal a regular household current extension cord on a spring loaded retracting wheel.

2) The left headlight pops up to reveal a recharging slot compatible with the electric car recharging stations already in service.

If either of these doors are open, a dash indicator will be lit and the car will not be allowed to be shifted out of park.

15. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For the oops-I-forgot-to-unplug concern, this can be easily solved by adding a signal from the plug to the ECU. When the plug is plugged in, the car won't start, and a light on the dash will light up when trying to start.

I would also want to see a solution for people without a garage.

16. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is an interesting discussion as I'm seriously considering a convertion should one come available.

I don't want it on the bumper as the risk of bumper replacement in low speed accidents.

I think I prefer in the back next to (level with) the license plate. It's doesn't have to be completly hidden but should look "cool" somehow.

It would be great if it had a retractable cord in it as we would have to lug extensions cord otherwise.

But don't let this hold you up! Back to the drawing board and/or lab... I don't care if I have to open the hood or crawl under the car as long as I can buy a kit soon! ;-)

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand the need to have a cord available, but the retractable idea reminds me of my Grandmother's vacuum. I don't want people teasing me about driving a dust buster...

18. tduescher

tduescher New Member

A way to hide a short cord would be a rear license plate cover that could flip up (or down) revealing the power cord box. I am sure the wiring could be routed through the hatchback lid.

Kind of like the gas fill opening in cars years ago.

19. randreed

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Davide Andrea @ Aug 17 2006, 11:20 AM) [snapback]304660[/snapback]</div>
    NOT on the bumper - too easy to damage the connection in very minor accident - too costly to repair.
    NOT on the hatch or hood - these are moving parts - don't run wires through those.
    NOT below the bumper - some of us old farts don't like bending down that far.
    Maybe behind the tag assemblies - remember Olds 88s with the gas cap behind a folding tag?
    Next to the hood or rear hatch would be cool - the port does not have to be very big at all.

Looks:
    I prefer the port to look like part of the car (like a fuel door) but we can always accessorize (decals, etc)

Function:
    NOT retractable - again this is a MAJOR cost issue. external cords are much more economical.
    NOT induction - let people buy this as an add-on if they want it - from a third party (NOT Toyota) - again MAJOR cost issue - research and testing dollars for these things will impact the overall cost of the car.

Safety:
    Car should simply not start if plugged in - if it rolls for some reason, the plug should pull out - can't get much simpler than that, and simpler is generally safer.

Removable batteries:
    A big N.O. - if Toyota does that, this customer is gone!

20. randreed

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 15 2006, 08:39 PM) [snapback]303822[/snapback]</div>
    If the car takes 4 hours for a full charge, that's just one cup of coffee and maybe a hotdog or a muffin for me - the rest of the time I could window-shop. Business owners know this because there are lots of people like me out there who will take advantage of situations like that.

On the other hand, it would be easy enough to swipe a credit card to turn on the juice for a while - and even if they charge normal fees I would pay it if I needed the charge - mostly I would charge at home.

If I move to a retirement condo, I would make sure they have the infrastructure to support my needs - even if it means running an extension from my unit to the car.

I don't know what I would do in a high-rise situation, but this brings up a good point - one that we can ALL take action on - I suggest that people contact new developments (condos, retirement villages, apartments, etc) especially befroe the ground-breaking - and ask if they are including provisions for pluggable vehicles. If lots of people are asking the developers and investors they will take notice - If no one asks - they will not even think of it.