1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which 12v replacement to buy?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Samosa, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Samosa

Samosa New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2007 Prius base model:

looks as if my 12v is dead; it was showing lower charges while in standby and running, and then yesterday i couldn’t unlock the doors (had to use key and the lock button wouldn’t do anything inside the car either) or use any of the lights+couldn’t start the car.

So now I’m shopping around for batteries, and they range from $135 at carquest (car quest auto craft) to $205 at Toyota dealership.
    I found one at Napa that is a AGM for $186, but I don’t know the difference between all these, or if there is a difference. It looks like the main concerns are the size of the battery, dimesionally, and the inclusion of a vent. Anything else I should be taking into consideration / any cheaper batteries or reasons not to go with the cheapest one, from car quest?

Thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    go with the cheapest one that's agm, vented and correct size. safety is important

padroo likes this.
  3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is there a difference in cold cranking amps and at least a three year warranty. I am not big on warranties but batteries are an exception. Some have four year warranties.

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Bisco's a safety nut. My wife's 1970 VW beetle used a non-vented, non-AGM battery that is mounted under the back seat, inside the passenger area. The only thing I'd worry about that battery is it falling through the floor due to corrosion. There's a lot more to worry about that car than the 12V battery. Still in daily use by our neighbor.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. don't ask me, ask grandma bisco :cool:

6. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You an oops?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i never heard the hole story (n)

8. Samosa

Samosa New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct size as in?

9. AquaJan

AquaJan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Places that sell batteries usually can tell yes/no on whether this battery fits your car. The Prius' battery compartment will only accept a certain size battery with correct terminal placement and vent port.
    I just replaced the 12v in my 2007 w/sks with a Bosch 51-440BAGM from PepBoys for $155.So far so good.
    Easy job but watch several youtube vids before you start.

btw, The battery I replaced was an Optima Battery from 2013! Still available but very pricey

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    length, width, height, terminal post diameter and position

11. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally, from my research, CARid has the Exide battery for about $153? and it's the only one I found with a full 4-year warranty. You can't get much cheaper and that's a good warranty.

12. AquaJan

AquaJan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I'm seeing $173 plus $19 shipping for the Exide S46B24R ...did you have a coupon?

13. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    No, it looks like they killed the Edge and now have the Marathon Max, which is probably the same thing, but it looks like it's gotten more expensive. You still might consider whether it's worth it. With the warranty, it's still better than all the other cheap options, but compared to the Toyota battery, it's up to you whether the extra 3 years of pro-rating (on the Toyota) mean $50 more to you.

14. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does you car have SKS or not? They only make 2 sizes. If your car does not have SKS you might want to get the SKS battery and a new battery tray from the dealer to fit it. The tray is not that much and the non SKS battery is more and harder to find. You would get a more powerful battery also.

15. marcas

marcas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Here's a good deal in the UK now for the Gen 2 replacement 12v battery...
    Lion 054 Battery with 3 Year Guarantee - Product Code: 444770541
    It's just about £40 after deductions and is a higher spec than the Yuasa battery that was fitted. I fitted one in our 2007 Gen 2 Prius...the only thing is the battery posts are reversed but the earth lead reaches ok & I made an extension metal strip for the positive connector...all good so far