1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which 2018 Trim and a few other questions before I buy

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Autumn Willows, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Autumn Willows

Autumn Willows New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello everyone! I am new to the hybrid and Prius world, so I hope someone out there can give me some advice before I purchase. My questions:

1) In your opinion, which 2018 trim should I go with Two or Three and why?
    2) I live in an area that does see it's share of snowfall per year. How well does a Prius handle in the snow?
    3) Side moldings, yes or no?
    4) What is typical annual maintenance on a Prius and is it pricier then a regular gas car?
    5) I know it's early in the year, but has anyone encountered anything yet they didn't like about the 2018 models?
    6) Finance or lease? (Typically I like to keep my cars for years. I currently have a 1998 Corolla that I bought new, but someone I asked did bring up a good point in that perhaps years down the road I may want to lease because technology is always improving.)
    7) Any advice of what to watch out for/avoid/or do for when I go into the "lion's mouth" (AKA Toyota Financing Dept)?

Thanks!

2. goinskiing

goinskiing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    1. I ended up getting the Two Eco (for the price of the 2) and for my uses the Three's upgrades weren't worth it for me. SofTex, Audio Nav, and Qi charger didn't justify it in my opinion, though the Li-ION on the Two Eco and Three are awesome.
    2. The Prius has always handled well in the snow for me (Boise) and we had 4 inches yesterday and it handled it like a champ.
    3. I will be getting side molding down the road.
    4. Not sure, would be curious on this as well, but first two years have Toyota care.
    5. I don't have anything to compare it to other than the 2014 Prius C3 I had. The Audio head unit is not my favorite.
    6. I leased my Prius C back in the day, definitely glad I bought this time around! Not that the lease was bad, but owning it feels so good.
    7. Say no to all the extra warranty nonsense and don't let them intimidate you.

Final bit of advice, get the car that YOU want, I'm glad that I didn't cheap out since I am happy with what I bought and should be good for a long time. :) Good luck!

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    1. I would get 2, and grit my teeth over the lack of 3 door touch to unlock. It has the spare tire, and is the best value for money.

2. Get snow tires, mounted on Corolla steel rims would be cheapest route. If possible, avoid additional TPMS sensors (Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor) on the snow tires. This can be difficult in the States, you would need to research your federal and state reg's. Also, sound out a few tire shops, see how they respond, to mounting tires without TPMS. There may be work arounds.

The car itself: it has limited ground clearance, and plastic panels that can snag. Deep snow, especially wet, is best avoided. On the plus side, the traction control is pretty good now.

3. Skip the side moulding.

4. Maintenance is comparable to other cars, or should be.

5. No clue, but don't think there's any change, say from 2016/17?

6. Pay cash would be my approach, all I've ever done. If you do need to finance, do it through a bank, and pay cash at the dealership. The only time I've ever gone "into the hole" is with our house, other'n that, I save up till I've got the bucks. It might be pig headed, but it works for me.

7. Extended warranties exist to make money, for everyone but you. Fugeaboutit, just save for that rainy day.

Prodigyplace and goinskiing like this.
  4. goinskiing

goinskiing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was able to negotiate getting my Two Eco for the price of a Two, it has the 3 door touch to lock and the Lithium Ion battery, at the expense of a spare and rear wiper blade.

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah that sounds like a good deal, the lithium Ion battery is a plus, and the Eco somehow is supposed to lead in mpg, it's not just tire pressures or whatever. The rear wiper is pretty useless too, I never use ours, at least not seriously. Personally, the lack of a spare would tear me up though.

Pretty much all the levels involve some frustration, so many trade-offs. :(

pilotgrrl and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Two ECO, starting late 2017 lacks the cargo cover or any way of fastening one too.

7. goinskiing

goinskiing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, for example I like the fabric seats over the SofTex. I can see how the lack of spare tire would be off putting to some people, but for my city driving it's not a huge deal. It all comes down to what you're willing to pay for and what you prefer.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. goinskiing

goinskiing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I haven't looked into this yet since I've never had the cover before, there does seem to be several places to hook things on the 18 Two Eco, but not sure if it's for the covers or not.

9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think the ECO originally had the flexible fabric cover like the Two. Mid 2017 when they added some safety features they removed the cover, mounting hooks, & buttons from the ECO.

goinskiing likes this.
  10. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    Be sure and price compare with the prime, When I bought my prime (feb 2017) it was less than the prius.

11. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I believe you're right, as my 2016 Three/ATP has the soft tonneau cover, rather than the cover similar to the Gen 2.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO likes this.
  12. priusman09

priusman09 I used to be a TDI

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a ‘17 Prime in August in NJ and drove home to WI because they were none in stock here AND there were no rebates in Wi. In NJ they had Toyota factory rebates of $3500 plus the $4500 tax credit if you’re eligible as well as a $2000 dealer discount.

There is currently a $4000 Toyota rebate going on now in February. Others I know have bought in NY with similar incentives and discounts. And selection is outstanding. I just checked one dealer that had 30 2017 Primes in stock. Pick your color and equipment. Fly in and drive home! Got all my deals via internet quotes.

Save a bundle!! Thousands less than an equivalent Prius. Over $10,000 or more to be exact
    Joel

13. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe that's why there are very few (if any) inducements over here. All the plums go towards get USA to buy cars they don't really want and there are only pits left for the rest of us. :(

14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not always. I only got $500 off for my 2017.

RCO likes this.
  15. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you loaned me $500 and I didn't pay you back, I don't think it would suddenly be "only $500" anymore!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Autumn Willows

Autumn Willows New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer my questions and for all the advice. I'm learning so much from it all and from reading other posts on this message board. I will take it all in to consideration when making my final choice.

This has be quite an experience for me so far, since I'm new to hybrids and having to handle the whole car shopping/purchase craziness by myself. (Last time was 20 years ago for my Corolla. I sent my then mother-in-law in to handle negotiations and finalizations. (She was stubborn and a seasoned bargain shopper. Perfect for the task!) I am looking forward to becoming a Prius owner!

Prodigyplace and bisco like this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe all these suggested retail prices, coupled with near-constant discounts, are just a sales ploy? Yah think...

19. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not/a/Chance! ....o_O

20. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model: