1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which 4 gauges do you use on your ScanGauge II?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by rdalemercer, Jun 13, 2010.

1. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My understanding is that in warp stealth mode (ICE off above 42 mph) the engine is still turning, but the valves are open and no gasoline is flowing, so I think you would still see something on the RPM.

This can be calibrated, according to the thread linked by fuzzy1 (and is now resolved, AFAIK).

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes the RPM still indicates when fuel flow is off, you can also monitor fuel flow or TPS. I usually just use the HSI indication to tell me when I'm in warp stealth, however sometimes below 42 MPH it fools me and I just glance at the tach to see if it's at 0 RPM or still at idle speed.

The MPH and odometer readings in the scan gauge can be calibrated. I was pointing out that, in my car at least, the scan gauge MPH was right on and the car's speedometer was off and that can't be calibrated. Not a problem just an observation. :)

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True, but when it is spinning in WS, I always see (at my speeds :)) just one number, 992 RPM. When gas is burning, RPM is higher.

The 2010 has some hysteresis between WS and Glide, so when I'm in the speed range of uncertainty, the RPM display tells me which mode the car is in. Sometimes I have to try a little harder to knock it from WS to Glide.

4. E-GINO

E-GINO Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    My Scangauge set-up is usually this:

- RPM (ICE)
    - KPH (GPS calibrated speed)
    - AVG (per trip average fuel consumption) or FlV (Xgauge for the fuel quantity)
    - AMP (Xgauge "battery amp)

The Xgauge "Flv" gave me the opportunity to discover that there is always a difference between the fuel that I pay and the fuel that I'm getting. I'm taking note of the FlV indications before and after the refueling. The difference varied between 3% and 8%. It is not much, but IMO it explains the difference existing between Prius trip computer calculations, and real consumptions "at the pump".

5. JThayer

JThayer Cubic Zirconium Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It varies depending on what I want to see...most often I have these four:

ICE RPM
    Traction Battery Current
    Water Temperature
    MPG

Why? Because I've found that these give me a pretty good general feeling for how the car is running. But if I am interested in some particular aspect, I'll usually swap one or more for the thing(s) that I am specifically interested in. MPG is the one most likely to be swapped out (after all, there's a gauge of the dash that provides essentially the same information...)

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is why I like monitoring kilowatts and injection time.
    It's a follow-on piece to my old "sweet spot" article with a
    bit of refinement on optimal power ranges and how some internal
    calculations done in the Scangauge plays nicely into it.
    One thing I'd like to see is a mapping between the Scangauge's
    notion of power output vs. the HSI in a third-gen, at various
    road speeds. Any volunteers for a little data-collection?
    _H*

2 people like this.
  7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    OK, I can program an xgauge for KW and fuel injector time (although there is a note that scaling is unsure for injector time). I have a level stretch of road I can use and hopefully find a day with no wind. So I think what we need is a list of RPM, injector time, and KW at different road speeds compared to HSI bar position at those speeds - is this correct? I also need to know what speed range (i.e. 45 to 70 MPH?) and what increments (every 5 MPH?) would be useful.

I am willing to try and collect some data over the next week or two. I have a friend who I can coerce into riding along and recording data and maybe there won't be much traffic so I think I can get some fairly good data.

Let me know if I have the right idea, as to what is needed.

8. lonestar

lonestar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have had a Scanguage now for only a few months and have settled into using it for two main purposes. (1) Help guage more accurately how to control the gas pedal for fuel economy and (2) monitor normal operating parameters to gurarantee the engine is operating correctly. The latter consists mainly of various temperatures for upper/lower converters, I1, I2, M1, M2, and inverter coolant temp. There are a number of interesting parameters, but I have not figured yet how to use them to help with fuel economy (e.g., amp). I intend on studying Hobbit's article to look for some hints.

I have settled on two main parameters to help with fuel economy. These I set up together with IGN on the top and GPH on bottom. These help me lock the Gen III into super highway mode, since I mainly drive above 46 mph. GPH is what it is all about. I have found out the correct values that the 2010 wants for its various GPH ranges in the best fuel economy modes, so I quit using TPS to help me identify how the two engine types are working together. I end up controlling the gas pedal to get the GPH where I want it (based on road slope and speed).

The third one that I always have on the guage is FWT for reasons given earlier. Mainly to guarantee proper operation and knowing when the car has heated up properly.

The 4th guage is one that I change a lot in order to see how various parameters are operating that are of interest for me at the time. I think that I will end up leaving the 4th guage setting mainly on inverter coolant temperature as a generic one that best minimally monitors proper operation. In this way, one guage will monitor ICE temperature and one guage temperature will monitor proper electric motor operation.

9. SquareWheels

SquareWheels "15kW or stealth" driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to bump this thread, but I have been itching to discover:
    which parameter is the "longterm fuel trim" -- it's not INJ, surely?

Seeing your excellent writeup of its usefulness in page 2 of your
    100k-maintenance article, in determining the effects of a bottle of
    fuel-system cleaner, I wanted to try using it too!

BTW this is me de-lurking, hi all from London UK!

Squarewheels.

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    It varies a bit but normally 12 volt battery, rpm, mpg, and water temp

1 person likes this.
  11. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    RPM, HP, ICE coolant temp, Inverter coolant temp

12. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It varies a bit but normally 12 volt battery, rpm, mpg, and water temp

13. jstraw20

jstraw20 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    12 volt battery, rpm, ign, water temp.

14. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It was odd, I received a notice that this tread received an update while I was playing around with a new OBDII device and software.

Recently I upgraded to an android phone and was doing research on OBDII apps. I found a $4 app call Torque that works with a $30 Bluetooth OBDII adapter. Here is the default view.

[​IMG]

I am in the process of converting all the Scangauge XGauge codes from the spreadsheet for the 2010 Prius to this app. I have most of it figured out. Every gauge needs the PID, min, max, scale factor, unit type and the equation. I will release the file to everyone when I am done.

4 people like this.
  15. rickkop

rickkop New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    tedjohnson;1222793]RPM, HP, ICE coolant temp, Inverter coolant temp

Excuse me but did I read that right? Inverter coolant temp? I don't think I have that setting on my scanguage. How do you monitor inverter temp? Rick

16. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    [​IMG]

17. rickkop

rickkop New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ok well, I don't have a clue as to how to get this on my scanguage. I guess this is just way beyond me. Rick

18. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's an Xgauge; there should be directions in the manual of how to input them. You take each of the fields from this spreadsheet and enter them in, and then you can select that gauge on the gauge display.

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    that is why i dont have them. i only have the original version of scangauge. can it be upgraded?

20. masini

masini New Member

Model:
    IV
    I really do not know if all that will cost to much.