1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which C is the best bang for the buck?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Oldwolf, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    The C1 might be Spartan for some, the C4 may have more features than you might need and want.

So which model offers the best bang for your buck do you think?

C1-Spartan and cheapest! $19K:thumb:

C2-Better fabric $20K

C3-Better fabric + nav system and a touchscreen! Smartkey...cruise control! $22K

C4-Large and non functional sporty looking wheels and simulated leather. Counter productive (energy consuming) heated seats, heated side mirrors and fog lights? $24K:eek:

Seems like the sweet spot for comfort and functionality might be the C2 or C3. I favor the C3 simply because of the audio and touchscreen upgrade.

2. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I vote c2 after purchasing a c3. You can do better by installing a good aftermarket stereo for the money of the c3 upgrade. isn't cruise in the 2, also? I did like the smart key after having it in our 07 prius, so that was a c3 attraction.

3. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The c with the biggest Bang for the buck is..........

The c you really, absolutely want!!!:rockon:

4. arlotone

arlotone New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yes the 2 has cruise, and also heated mirrors and Bluetooth connectivity for phone and music. I prefer using my iPhone GPS, so the in-dash nav system would be an unnecessary distraction. That leaves the Smart Key system, which would have been convenient, but not enough to justify almost $2000 more. I'm very happy with the 2.

I didn't consider the 1 because it doesn't have a split-fold-down seat (you have to fold the entire back seat down at once), a center console/armrest (don't quote me on that) or cruise control. I feel like those features are real functional differences, while the differences between the 2 and 3 are bells and whistles.

5. moezer2112

moezer2112 Futurist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    ?
    Did your dealer tell you that the Two has heated mirrors?
    All the literature I've seen indicates they don't show up until you get to the Four...

Like someone else said, the Four appears to introduce some heavy hitter electrical loads like heated seats and mirrors that tend to work against efficiency. I'm shying from the Four because I don't like those circuits drawing "unnecessary" load on the battery pack, possibly leading it to premature failure.

Therefore I think the Three is the sweetspot in the lineup, with the 15" alloys and moonroof of course.

6. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    The C2 DOES come with cruise control. +1 for the C2!

Does anyone know if the map updates for the Navigation system are free? Does Toyota provide them?

7. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I settled for a C2

I was wanting all the bells and whistles with the C4, but yes
    it was added cost that I did NEED to spend.
    I have GPS on my phone and a stand alone GPS...both are barely used.

C2 was what was available and the necessary options I needed were:
    60/40 rear seat
    cruise control
    bluetooth (included, but not sure if I will use it)
    power windows, door locks

I did not NEED the sunroof or the heated seats/mirrors

The only thing I didnt get was the alloys...but then I didnt get them on my last car either
    OR the color I wanted I got Super White, but wanted the Magnetic Grey.
    (after it was washed and paint protected....the Super White C2...is AWESOME!)

$20,885 total with mats and delivery.

I thought this was the best deal for me.
    Ordering (and waiting long) would have not justified $5k + more
    for useless "fancy" items.

8. TytaniumK

TytaniumK New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Previously Posted By arlotone:
    I didn't consider the 1 because it doesn't have a split-fold-down seat (you have to fold the entire back seat down at once), a center console/armrest (don't quote me on that) or cruise control. I feel like those features are real functional differences, while the differences between the 2 and 3 are bells and whistles.

I originally had my selected dealer searching for a C4, more recently a C3, but the more I think about what I really want/need--I'm thinking the C2 will suffice. I test-drove a local <not my selected dealer> C1 & knew I did not want it mainly because of NO CRUISE CONTROL. I cannot imagine driving cross-country without it. But, the push button start, NAV, Leather, Moonroof, Alloy Wheels, etc--(we have all that on our MAZDA3 SGT). Do we really NEED it on a Prius C also? Methinks not. Ergo, gonna tell my selected dealer to just hunt up a C2 & be done with it. It gets MY vote ~ today!:D:rockon:

9. moezer2112

moezer2112 Futurist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The thing that keeps me out of the 1 and 2 is the lack of the 15" alloys. After looking at pictures and c's in person for 3 weeks, I find the base wheels with plastic hubcaps to be truly hiddeous.

Narrys_bae13 likes this.
  10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the c1 is primarily something that exists so that Toyota can advertise a $19,000 dollar entry price.

"If" you can find one? Or are patient enough to order one, I think it's obviously the cheapest way to get into a totally new HSD hybrid. From that standpoint it's a great value.

I think most people are going to gravitate to Prius c 2, or 3....I probably would based almost solely on the idea that I want the rear seats to split.

Bit tricky of Toyota to make the seat backs 1 piece in the Prius c 1. I can't imagine that even saves much money in production.

It's all subjective to what your expectations and goals are for the vehicle. If it was a second vehicle? I think I'd go with a Prius c 2, maybe even a 1.

If it's my ONLY vehicle? I'd go Prius c 3 or higher.

11. TytaniumK

TytaniumK New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I AGREE re: the base wheels/hubcaps, but I will def get aftermarket alloys [like from tire rack or elsewhere]--why be restricted to toyota alloys??

12. strongbad

strongbad Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm thinking the C1 is the best bang for the buck. It has the same drive train as the more expensive models and the cost that Toyota is charging for higher "packages" is usurious. Toyota is charging $10 for every dollar it cost them for the add ons. Want cruise control? Buy the c1 and install cruise control yourself. Want a better radio? Go aftermarket and get much better quality for much less money. Want virtually anything else? Wait for the wreckers to start turning up the parts you need for pennies on the dollar. This frees up a lot of money for options like LED headlights that the Japanese get and other cool stuff. You pay for just what you want in options instead of having to pony up tons of money for stuff you don't need to get the one item you really do. Plus, if you buy from the dealer you pay a hefty sales tax for it and then keep paying (at least in CA) for those options forever in yearly registration.

13. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Unlike some of you guys, I don't want or like to buy a new car and then start adding new stuff or modifying the factory equipment. I like to buy a car with what I want or need and then just enjoy it all for a long time. A C2 would be the minimum for me just because of the cruise control and the versatility of the 60/40 rear seating.

I just saw a C1 at my dealer today btw.

14. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I'm with Oldwolf. Good for those of you who like to make modifications to your cars, but not everyone is willing or wanting to do that. I wouldn't even know where to start installing cruise control, and I honestly have no desire to learn. The extra cost of the 2 is worth it to me. The extra cost of the 3 and 4 is not. For me. It's all personal.

15. arlotone

arlotone New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hmm, I read about it in the manual in several places and it didn't say "selected vehicles only" or anything like that. (Just lots of warnings about how you shouldn't touch the mirrors because they get hot.) I did drive the other night when the mirrors were covered in dew ... turned on the rear defrost (which activates the heated mirrors) and in a few minutes they were clear. Maybe they did that naturally -- I didn't touch the mirrors to see if they were hot.

I guess you're right, though, I just looked in the brochure again and heated mirrors were only mentioned for option 4. Oh well!

16. Kenny_n_Steve

Kenny_n_Steve New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am semi-retiring my 1996 Miata by making the C our second Prius for my daily 28-mile (round trip) commute. Given the fact most local C's are sold before hitting the dealer lots I'm looking for a little feedback

Although still on the fence, I have by and large decided most of the differences between a C2 and C3 are not worth the additional $1,700. I am interested in feedback on one: is there a significant difference between the fixed steering wheel on the C2 when compared with the tilt/telescoping wheel on the C3? Steering comfort is not critical but is nevertheless important.

When compared with the no-frills Miata, none of the other options seem terribly important, including having controls on the steering wheel. No one seems to find great value in the Entune system and everything else is pretty minor.

I'd love to read more feedback comparing both models from those of you who have compared. Thanks!

17. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    IIRC - the C II has tilt/telescoping wheel. I'm sure others will chime in to confirm or deny.:)
    Edited to add: tilt/telescoping wheel is standard equipment at all levels according to the specs listed at beginning of the C main forum. YMMV

PS: I ordered a C II - I don't think Entune works much, if at all, in Hawaii?

18. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    that's correct. :(

19. Kenny_n_Steve

Kenny_n_Steve New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ewaboy - yes, I see now, you're right it is included in all versions. I think that pretty much settles it - saving $1,700 sounds better and better! Between now and August I'll make every effort to get eyes/hands on a C2 and C3 in an effort to make a final decision. Thanks!

20. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    KnS... have you seen this review of the c? One of the best, IMHO.