1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

which cells can I use to rebuild my pack?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by oil_burner, Jun 16, 2018.

1. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is there a sticky or some thread that describes which cells from other years of prius can I retrofit to function in my gen 2? I am looking for a pack in a local junkyard and they have a lot of Prius V packs for around $1000, would one of these fit? I am not interested in a refurbished or new pack because I am in Canada and shipping would be prohibitive.

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The cases will not fit in your car so you'll need to dismantle the pack and harvest the modules.
    You can swap entire set of cells.
    Do not mix your pack modules with the other pack.
    Choose any pack with the same (or more) modules than yours.

I don't think there is a sticky like you mention but perhaps you could add your notes to this thread so as to help others?

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    IIRC, it's different. Stay away from other Toyota hybrid models: camry, prius c, lexus, etc as they can have different type modules or count. Easy rule of thumb is to stick with other prius liftback packs. Also, I've noticed some LiOn packs getting included in search results so be aware of that; def. can't use those.

4. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    wish there was a summary table out there showing the different module types/count. So the only thing I can get is Gen 3 cells? I seem to recall seeing that Gen 4 cells would also fit.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Gen 4 modules will work as long as it's the NiMH model battery, NOT the LiON. The Gen 4 NiMH has 28 modules.

All Gen 3 Prii have 28 modules. The Prius C has only 20.

I haven't seen a Lexus with less than 28, but if they have an equivalent to the Prius C, I would investigate further.

Camry's and Altimas and many Lexus have 34 modules. If you can find a late model Lexus with 34 modules, at the same price, that would be the way to go. Use 28 and sell the rest.

Buy the newest battery offered.

Look at the serial numbers on the top of the modules to ensure you're not buying something that someone has already gutted and put old modules back in for a core return. The first 2 digits are the day of the month. The third digit is the month (1-9, x, y, z) and the fourth digit is the year code. L=2010, P=2014 and so on

#5 TMR-JWAP, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  6. Petrodollar

Petrodollar Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The following is taken mainly from 2016 - 2018 USA brochures.

The models of recent hybrids that have NiMH battery modules and should work are:
    3rd Gen Prius
    4th Gen Prius One and Two (NiMH)
    Camry Hybrid LE, SE, and XLE (NiMH)

Models with Li-ion battery modules and can NOT be used are:
    4th Gen Prius Two Eco - Four Touring (Li-ion)
    Camry Hybrid 2018 LE (Li-ion)

I haven't checked Lexus or Altima yet.
    Of course, double check at the auto wrecking yard when you go to pick it up.

#6 Petrodollar, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018