1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which country does the U.S. get the most oil from?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by JackDodge, Oct 31, 2005.

?
  1. Algeria

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Angola

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Canada

100.0%
  4. Colombia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Ecuador

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Gabon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Iraq

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Iran

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Kuwait

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Mexico

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Nigeria

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Norway

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Russia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Saudi Arabia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. U.K.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Venezuela

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I specifically wrote "(second sentence)" because that was the one that was wrong, not the first sentence.

2. Spunky

Spunky New Member

The problem is that our (the US's) oil supply flutuation tolerance is just about nil. There is no buffer built into our supply-refinery-shipping-consumer lines.

Our economy (aka our energy addiction) would take a hit if, say, 5% of our oil imports disappeared for even a short period of time. Our refineries were working full-tilt boogey before the hurricane season and so, when they were incapacitated, european countries stepped in and offered up gasoline to the US.

Same for our current energy generating facilities. We pretty much run full out during the summer peak-use periods. We haven't (effectively) built any additional plants in years. That's why we get blackouts and might have to tolerate huge rolling blackouts in the coming years.

We have no buffers, no safety net, and therefore cannot tolerate any fluctuations in supplies. Period.

It doesn't matter if we get only 1% of our oil from, say, a particular set of pump stations in Oman. If that 1% is interrupted, then we must get it from elsewhere.

It is in the best interest of the current energy set-up in the US to keep the peace in the middle east. Or to at least keep their oil flowing in our direction.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the question is why have we not built any refineries since the 80's??

money?? obviously not. regulations? no.

saudi arabia's national oil company offered to build a refinery here in order to increase capacity and we said no... the excuse we used was that saudi oil too dirty and refining it here would add to our polution problems even after the saudi's said they had perfected technology that would clean up their oil to our standards (which was later proven to be true) we still said no.

so why have we not built any refineries, allowed large oil companies to swallow up competition? cant be to perpetuate a monopoly and enable price gouging could it?

4. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Now, now Dave. No getting all cynical. That's not allowed.

I'm certain there's a perfectly good, altruistic, reason why we haven't built and maintained our infrastructure with a wise eye on the future.

5. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If any oil production is interrupted, regardless of whether it's one of our sources or not, then we take a hit. That's because the countries who receive oil from the interrupted source start competing for oil from our sources.

I wonder how many people who bemoan that fact that much of our foreign policy is driven by oil, end up screaming bloody murder when oil prices go up?

Believe it or not, but oil is very important to our country and every citizen in it. Therefore, political stability in major oil producing regions, such as the Middle East and Venezuela, is very important to our country and every citizen in it.

There's plenty of room for debate and criticism about how we go about it, but one thing is for certain: We can't just turn our backs on the stability of these regions.

6. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    There are a lot of smart people on this forum. The majority who voted got it right. Canada is the country that exports the most oil to the U.S. We get 17% of our foreign oil from them. Not far behind in second is Saudi Arabia with 14.5% and Mexico at 13%. Canada and Mexico, together, mean that we get 70% of our oil from North America (40% of the oil that we use is domestic). Below are the statistics that I promised yesterday:

From Gibson Consulting (gravmag.com):

The U.S. consumes 21,930,000 barrels of oil per day which represents 320,500,000 gallons of gasoline (March 2005). 60% of that is imported. That means that we import 192,300,000 gallons of gasoline per day. We need 9,861,539 barrels of oil per day to achieve that.

The U.S. gets 17% of its imports from Canada, 14.5% from Saudi Arabia, 13% from Mexico, 11% from Venezuela, 7% from Nigeria, 4% from Iraq, 3.6% from U.K., 3% from Angola, 3% from Algeria, 2.2% from Norway, 2% from Russia, 1.7% from Kuwait, 1.5% from Colombia, 1% from Gabon, 1% from Ecuador.

30% comes from our neighbors (Canada and Mexico). 13.5% comes from South America, 8% from Europe, 20.2% from the Middle East (Asian continent) and 14% from Africa. That's right, we get almost as much oil from Africa as we do from Saudi Arabia.

From a barrel of oil (42 gallons), you can get 19.5 gallons of gasoline, 9 gallons of fuel oil, 4 gallons of jet fuel and 11 gallons of other products such as lubricants, kerosene, asphalt and petrochemical feedstocks to make plastics.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    that is scary because not long ago we controlled over half our oil. unfortunately, we like mexico are on the decline as far as our output is concerned. venezuala was on strike part of the year so their input will probably go up, but the hit we took on the domestic side this year that may never be made up.

that makes hybrids even more the best way to go right now as its not a drastic step but can yield dramatic results. a plug in hybrid that can give a range of 60 miles on a charge would greatly reduce the oil consumption while trading off energy to other sources that can be phased in to bolster the current power grid. there is no one solution big enough to meet our demands so we need to go in many directions because different areas have different potential. just as solar will not provide the benefit in the Pac northwest like Arizona wouldnt benefit from hydroelectric (well the dry part that is... i know the hoover is there) we need to spread out the wealth.

of course, since the oil companies have all the money they are positioning themselves to be the major players in alternative energy sources too but are determined to milk the oil cow at full speed instead of starting the weaning process now just to maximize profits.

8. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Totally agree. Combining efficiency, which is often the biggest bang for the buck, with alternative fuels would go a very long way to solving this problem. Getting the fleet average MPG up to 36 MPG would cut our oil requirement by something like 33%. Biofuels can certainly play a part, though MPG may take a hit. PHEVs seem promising, but on a large scale they are going to present some problems. Namely, where are we gonna get the energy? The good news is that it will take time for them to represent most of the fleet so the energy issue won't be a problem over night but still. That's a LOT of energy to come up with. Naturally, there are gonna be a lot of people interested in supplying that energy with coal and nukes. That would be counter-productive from an environmental point of view though not from an energy security point of view.

9. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I think we are on the right track with electric storage vehicles....
    If we choose to do so.... we have massive "Massive!" potential avaliable to us in the ocean... the incessant movements of the waves and tides.....
    Gigantic bouy's that move up and down can make enough power to power whole cities.... 24/7 power!... better than dams that are only seasonal....

Gigantic turbines
    that move irregardless of the direction of flow that hits them... as the tides move back and forth.... no animals are harmed... in fact they would harbor sea life and there are vitually no limits to the power availiable around us!.... Dams are few and far between compared to miles of length and depth of shorelines.

Now.. lets talk about millions of square acres of worthless land where the wind rips across continually that windmills can capture?... what about thousands of acres of square footage of land to capture energy with solarcells?

Miles and miles of lands that the government are paying farmers NOT to farm!... why not harvest fields of soy or similar product to convert to biofuels?

Every house in america ought to be made with solar cell shingles and make their own power.

We have enough know-how to have the other countries eating out of our hand!.. Have we not lead the world in ingenius inventions?... but not like many big companies.. we have gotten lazy and small little japan has outclassed and outpaced our technology!
    Its pretty sad when consumer reports show all the top rated cars are Non-US cars!..
    with two exceptions!...

I remember when you bought a new american car you could bank on 6 months of nasty bugs before the thing would run right!.. then the foreign market came and fat americans cried from their labour unions about how they are taking our jobs away!.. Don't buy foreign cars!... traitors!... Our cars are better now.. but only because they had to be to keep foreign cars from owning the market!

Well I don't know about you.. but I appreciate my car working when I put the key in it because somebody did their homework who engineered it!...
    We have been trying to play catch up ever since and still have not caught up.. even though the price of our cars have become the same as house mortgages and the foreign market has been taxed up so we will still have an eye for the expensive over-rated american cars.
    I was born in America and thats all I know... but I'm not so proud that I am blind to the fact that there are other people who do things better than us!...

YOu can get all emotional about your ford tough and your chevy if you want... .but they are only giving us the minimal in technolgy for maximum price.
    Their commercials are all image.. its not about reality.. but image is what sells cars in america... Well america is finally wiseing up.. and GM for one will soon be out of business if they dont' jerk the slack out of thier chain!

What about geothermal power?... it goes on and on... some are really practicle.. others need to wait for more technology to ease the pain of accessing this energy.....

Its just like the hybrid cars... the technology is there.. but companies have to have motivation to act upon it.. there has to be a profit..... well there is!..
    But as long as we have the easy oil... we stay lazy and comfortable and don't reach out for other means.

Any one who actually believes the story that we are low on resources and are dependent upon foreign oil.... also believes Exxon is barely making it and needs to raise gas prices to survive!

America just needs to take on the same spirit toyota has done and pave the way!

We Americans are too lazy and are at ease and have fallen asleep with the riches of our oil and money.... What will it take for America to stop crying about foreign oil and utilize the unlimited resources we have?

When will other companies take toyotas cue and realize that even if though they may loose money in the beginning.. Any good business takes that risk... but we are not risk takers any more....
    If they will start cutting edge technology and start tapping in to our unlimited resources mother nature gives us every day that we just throw away... and if what they are doing is needed and nobile.. they will soon own the market later and make the other companies that didn't have the balls will be jealous trying to play catchup!!!

Now I feel better, (How about you?) ;) So now I will get off my soapbox. All I can say is Hurray for Toyotas guts to cut a new market with excellence and in the meantime, still try to keep the price down without selling us some piece of crap tin can rattle trap car, all in the name of saving a few gallons!

10. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the resistance to refineries has been because of environmental concerns, as well as low margins (until recently). I read where the refinery stage of the production process has now widened its margin, and except for the price of the "sweet light crude" it is the major component in the increased price of gasoline. So we may see more refineries built now.

As far as non-auto use, you hear a lot about how Europe has embraced nuclear energy, as if electricity production uses a lot of oil. I remember reading that most electricity in this country is produced by burning coal, not oil. And most of our oil use is to run our automobiles.

11. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

be advised that CHINA is here in Canada and actively buying up Canadian oil producers. I can tell you that they are talking about building oil termials on the water front and it's not to ship oil to the US. It'll be going to China. I can only guess that the US imports from Canada will eventually drop as output goes overseas. They are also talking about investing in the Oil Sands Project in Nothern Alberta which holds about the same amount of oil that Saudi Arabia has, Guess where that'll be going as well. There not here to help supply the US. I'm also sure that they are involved in Russia as well but haven't found proof yet. Could they also be in Lybia or Sudan, Kuait? who knows but I'd be willing to put a few dollars on it. One thing I can just about bet is, we, John Q Public, are going to get the short end of the hose.

12. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    These percentages change from month to month, and if you quoted a report from March 2005, they were probably using data from the end of 2004 at the latest. So your information is nearly a year out of date - and wrong. We imported more oil from Mexico than Saudi Arabia in eight out of twelve months in 2004, and for the whole year.

For the most recent month that there is data (August 2005), we actually imported more oil from Mexico than Canada. But year to date, Canada is still the leading importer to the US. For the first eight months of 2005, Saudi Arabia is #3 behind Mexico. This was true in 2004 too. You can download annual and monthly statistics here:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleum/d...blications.html

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually its probably accurate as saudi arabia knows better than any other middle eastern country the importance of US economy to their own survival. they have increased their imports to us several times this year.

in 2003 they were 3rd behind Canada and Venzuala and just barely beating Mexico. (percentage wise they were the same but listed 3rd nevertheless)

keep in mind that Venezuala had a strike this year which lowered their output also. otherwise they most likely would have been 2nd. Venezuala is one of the few countries that have not passed their peak oil production yet. (they also were selling gas at 19 cents per gallon in Venezuala...2003 prices but probably has not changed much for them anyway)

you also have to realize its just a question of logistics. distance plays a huge part too thats why i am interested in how China plans to pull off this venture they have undertaken. its definitely an interesting long term look at the oil supply problem. iow, it will most likely end up being another former 3rd world country getting over on us by being prepared for the obvious while we sit here with thumbs up our butt

14. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

it was my understanding that last month with Katrina that Canada actually cut it's oil exports but increase it's gasoline exports to the US to help alleviate some shortages on the gasoline side caused by the hurricane damage to the SE refineries.

15. jared2

jared2 New Member

I am Canadian, and let me assure you that "we" does not include Canada. Canada is a very different country from the US.

16. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Have you traveled much?