1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which do you like better?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by bwilson4web, Dec 11, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Today I was helping a BMW i3-REx owner understand some features that she'd never used since getting the car in 2014:
    • Changing the navigation map to a flat 2D with enhanced contrast.
    • Fixing the portable gas can caps so it won't leak (some assembly is required.)
    • Driving on dynamic cruise control.
    She noticed I was driving the Prius Prime and asked, "Which do you prefer?"

"It is like having two children, which one do you like most?" I replied and she laughed.

The Prius Prime, 25 mile battery gives 3 stops around town before needing a charge. So I often shop where I can also get a free charge like Propst Discount Drugs in the 5-Points area or Whole Foods. I also shop in the near-by stores and restaurants. She noticed my vanity plate, "199 MPG" but is driving her BMW i3-REx to Florida tomorrow. She knows the BMW i3-REx will take five gas stops on the way down hence the portable gas cans.

I explained the Prius Prime drove 1,200 miles from Connecticut to Huntsville and filled up once. It gets 56-58 MPG on the highway which makes it exceptionally efficient cross country. In contrast the BMW i3-REx driven EV to Nashville costs ~$24 because the two fast DC chargers cost ~$12 each for about 60 miles of range. But driving back from Nashville only cost $6 in gas. The cost of fast DC charging away from home is too expensive compared to gas.

She asked about emissions and I pointed out that driving gas on the highway is surrounded by fields and trees that neutralize emissions. In contrast, the city has streets, houses, and buildings that do nothing to deal with emissions.

For dynamic cruise control training, I explained that it takes a while to feel confident but 'let's do a test drive.' I drove in rush hour traffic to the city limits so she could see the display and buttons as I used them. Sure enough, a rush hour commuter steered into our lane and I braked pointing out 'you must still monitor the car' but over 90% of the driving uses dynamic cruise control. We stopped at a gas station and she drove me back in the much lighter traffic headed into town while I talked her through the controls.

She has 55,000 miles on her 2014 BMW i3-REx but now she knows how to get the maximum from her car. The navigation map changes and dynamic cruise control makes a good car into a great car.

Bob Wilson

#1 bwilson4web, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Tideland Prius and Raytheeagle like this.
  2. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's a shame dealers don't give classes on how things work on new cars. I know it is in writing in the owners manual but some real world training would go a long way.

I commend you Bob.

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was thinking the same thing. I met Kim and her BMW i3-REx at the local, fast DC charger. We exchanged phone numbers followed up with texts and a meeting at a local watering hole where I coded her car for the REx enable. Sad to say her check engine light came on and two weeks later, it was out of the shop. Today was our third and last meeting.

Text messages and e-mails are like margin notes for an Owner Manual. YouTube is less bad but hard to watch while driving the car. Some things require a mentor but how do we meet?

Bob Wilson

4. Kayvaughn

Kayvaughn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

Our salesman insisted on going over different aspects and features of our Prime when we bought it. I was on toddler duty, so my wife benefited most from the "class". But she drives it most anyway, so I guess that was good.

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Kim reached her destination driving on gas. The check engine light came on about 2/3ds of the way but REx came on anyway. Sad to say, she picked up a sheet metal screw at the edge of tread and sidewalk.

Bob Wilson

#5 bwilson4web, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018