1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Driving Mode Do you use?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Robos1020, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you talking ECO on a Gen 3? My son with a 2015 Prius V says ECO on the Gen 4 works like PWR on the Gen 3.
    If you are using PWR mode on your Gen 3, that is like the Gen 4 ECO mode.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I understand they've been shifting the goal posts. I heard the 4th gen was shifted roughly one Mode, I guess just driver's impressions.

My pref with gen 3 is normal mode, very linear, easy to control.

RCO likes this.
  3. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is my first Prius, so I don't have prior experience with them to compare it to.

But compared to my Camry, the 2016 Prius in Eco drive mode has a big difference in the tension of the gas pedal. I don't know what else to call it, so I just describe it as having a firm tension. When I change it to Normal drive mode, then it feels much more like my Camry did.

And In PWR mode, you barely have to touch it and... ZOOM. When the weather was a little warmer, I got the same exact mpg in all three drive modes. Just takes a little practice. If I can stay pretty consistent and get 60 MPG, I really don't care what drive mode I'm using. (But it really doesn't matter anymore, because I refill my tank when it gets down to the 1/2 point. :LOL:)

4. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nissan's actually announced that technology, but not for the sake of variable throttle maps. (And it really isn't tension that Toyota's changing, although spring force increases as you get further into the pedal's travel, and you're pushing the pedal further.) They've introduced it as a sort of eco coach - increase tension when you're using too much accelerator, to try to teach you to have less of a lead foot.

5. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's a good way to describe it. "Spring force increases." And increased tension when you're using too much accelerator. Whatever it is, that Eco drive mode bugs the crap out of me! :ROFLMAO: :LOL: I'm glad I have a choice. I would much rather go Zoom Zoom while I am still alive to enjoy it. :)

6. benlovesgoddess

benlovesgoddess Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I started out only in ECO. After learning how the hybrid CVT is different from a manual diesel, even managed to average high 60s (Imperial). A few thousand miles ago I decided to just enjoy power mode, and stop working out my MPG and get off Fuelly. A few spot checks have shown 56 - 60 MPG still, even with constant hard acceleration and driving at higher speeds. I suspect a few tanks may have been closer to 50, but never checked. Really enjoying the car for the drive. If I drove a similar sized diesel in the same manor I could expect about 35 MPG, and around 25 MPG from a large straight petrol car driven so briskly. She's only in normal when I start up and forget to change. ECO gets a little use when returning to the village, or in bumper to bumper urban traffic. A big diesel driven economically may return high 40s, I have never driven a big petrol car with economy in mind.
    Yeah, really glad the car came with this choice - as I primarily picked it for economy, but was closed by the size, comfort and style.
    The Prius has proved it is slightly more economical than a sluggish diesel supermini, but far more economical than a similar sized diesel and way better than a regular petrol. The smooth CVT, quick delivery of power, and (I think) nice handling mean I really enjoy the 50 miles I drive her daily.
    If I am ever desperately short of £25 one month, I can always go back to ECO I guess. I did use to enjoy watching that indicated MPG figure breaking the 70 mark....

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like a true 'borne again' , if I may be so bold. (y)

benlovesgoddess likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm always perplexed, by people who flip flop between ECO and PWR. Never heard of normal? (n)

Prodigyplace, RCO and krmcg like this.
  9. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No - I go from one to the other. If I'm using the accelerator, I prefer the more progressive action which ECO gives. But if I'm using DRCC, I generally have it in PWR, unless I'm out in the country with little traffic around.

NORMAL - nope, rarely use it - too "NORMAL", which a PRIUS isn't.

benlovesgoddess and RCO like this.
  10. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good thinking, Batman! :cool:

alanclarkeau likes this.
  11. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Most certainly! I got a 2-wheeler when I was about three (I lived in the UK until I was in my thirties) rode a motorcycle in my late-teens, bought a car in my early twenties and took a motorcycle-safety course when I first moved to the USA (1983). I think riding a motorcycle will make anybone a better driver, since it makes you more aware of road conditions, not only due to the weather, but also traffic and other drivers. I have given up bike riding here in the USA, since it is far too dangerous (distracted driving, road rage, incompetence etc. etc. :eek:)

RCO likes this.
  12. benlovesgoddess

benlovesgoddess Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In life I have always tended to go for extremes - either complete excess or total abstinence. Normal driving mode just says the worst of both worlds, either not all the power or not the best economy. I like the acceleration so much, I seriously intend my next car to be a Tesla Model S. My fantastic Prius will need to last the next 12 years it takes to pay off the mortgage, then I'll look for the Ludicrous Speed option.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  13. HobbsNick

HobbsNick Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Mainly driving in eco, do switch to pwr when I want to leave a set of traffic lights quickly.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  14. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Note that you can just push harder on the accelerator if you're trying to leave lights quickly - full accelerator is full accelerator in all modes.

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  15. HobbsNick

HobbsNick Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I don't like flooring it from a standing start, the pwr mode gives a noticeable difference in getting up to 20mph. Giving a little advantage on roads narrowing to 1 lane. In normal driving I just leave it in eco as once over 20mph there isn't a noticeable difference.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So, either of the circled, got it. o_O

upload_2016-12-28_7-15-51.png

17. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hopefully they use the mode between the circles too. The one marked OFF.

18. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it not exactly the same power accelerating you from a standstill whether your flooring in ECO or simply using power mode. The only difference is how you modulate your right foot's pressure on the pedal, and yes I know the different feeling. However you can't get more power in Power mode than you can when flooring in ECO mode.

HobbsNick likes this.
  19. HobbsNick

HobbsNick Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    As you say no more power in either mode. I just like how Power mode is more responsive in certain circumstances. It's about using it at the appropriate moment. I spend 95% of my time in eco mode and 5% in Power when I want to be a child at traffic lights as we all know it's the first 5 meters that count ;)

RCO, alanclarkeau and Prodigyplace like this.
  20. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ... pretending it's Ludicrous Mode ...

Tideland Prius, RCO and HobbsNick like this.