1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which grade of gas do you use?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cantdrv55, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cantdrv55

cantdrv55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi all,

I am a new owner and am really impressed with the Prius. I didn't want to like it but I'm just blown away with all the gizmos on-board not to mention its efficiency. I do have a question about the type of gas to use though. I just assumed that I could use 87 octane or regular unleaded but the manual says to use 88, which we don't have. Do you use just 87 or go up one grade to 89? Thanks.

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I used to know the exact 'technogeek' answer, but the value listed in the manual is based on a different measurement than the goofy math formula that you'll find on the gas pumps here in the US.
    Since this is PC, somebody will have the exact method of octane measurement committed to memory and you'll see it in another post below this one very shortly. They might even beat me to the answer.
    Some people live for that kind of question.
    The only reason more people don't ask this particular question is that you're one of those 1/1,000,000 people who actually read the owner's manual......even in the Wonderful World of Prius.

Bottom Line: If you're location is in the United States, and you're getting gas at less than about 5,000'? Use 87. I prefer a "Top Tier" gas station, but I've known people who put lunar mileage on vehicles using the cheapest gas that they can find. They sell Priuses all over the world. It's not going to make any measureable difference.
    I've read that if you're in the mountains (some states sell 85) you can get by with an even lower octane than 87, but I like things nice and simple.
    Use 87.
    Don't worry about E-10 versus E-0 (Ethanol) and don't be one of those idiots who try to get by with using a quarter tank of E88 to try and save $3.44 on a tank of gas.

Good Luck!
    And.....Welcome to PC!

3. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Idiot huh? Yea I am one of those that have blended but 87 or 89 will be just fine.

Mike

ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T ? 2

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The 88 figure in the manual is an error. Toyota stated that 87 is correct for the NA version of the Prius.

Tom

HTMLSpinnr likes this.
  5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Assuming OP location is USA sea level, 87 Octane (R+M/2) Regular is the recommended fuel.
    R=so-called Research Octane No. (RON) M= so-called Motor Octane No. (MON)
    These are the actual laboratory engine test methods, whereas the Research Octane test simulates low load highway style (typcially R= approx 91) and the the Motor Octane test simulates driving with a load on the engine (typcailly M= approx 83) so R+M/2 = 87 at the pump.
    Kind 0f funny names for the tests "Research and Motor" we'd all understand it better if they just called it Low Load and High Load. The average 87 is Pump Octane sometimes called Road Octane or AKI antiknock index.
    If you live in the highest mountain locations, you can get away with lower octane grade and it is sold there.

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct - 88 is a misprint in the manual. 87 Octane is the recommended fuel. Anything higher is wasting money based on Octane alone, ignoring the increase in detergents in some premium fuels. The Prius ICE is not a "high-compression" engine (13:1 is an expansion ratio for the Atkinson cycle), and thus does not require higher octane fuels to limit detonation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.