1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which headlight brand is the best for 2008 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Stanislava, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Stanislava

Stanislava New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have 2008 Prius, what are the best headlights? Because I have replaced my lights every two years, is this normal? I am using Sylvania. I don’t really do any night driving, my normal day commute is 8 miles. Also if I put two different light brands is there going to be issues like one light stronger than the other or not as bright? I’m thinking about using Phillips on one side and Sylvania on the other? Help much appreciated!

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For longevity, the OEM bulb from the dealer should last several years.

Aftermarket ones like Sylvannia and Phillips that either burn brighter (so you can see better) or hotter (whiter.. mostly for looks) will last much shorter. (Mine would last 11-12 months but they were also used as DRLs in Canada).

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

You failed to mention which type of headlights your vehicle has. My last set of HID bulbs were purchased online for $12 a pair, and they worked great until the car moved on to another owner, but YMMV and spending more (or less) doesn't mean they will last longer.

As @Tideland Prius mentioned above, the 'brighter' bulbs will generally not last as long. If replacing singles, be sure to check for the Kelvin rating, as that will affect the perceived color of the light emitted. OEM bulb color is 4300K, and higher isn't necessarily better.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sounds a bit odd. I thought all the Touring models had fog lights, which means it should have HID headlights. I don't recall Sylvania being a popular choice for Prius HID bulbs.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Were all 2008 cars sold as Touring models? Didn't see anything in the post about trim level.

On a side note, even if it is Touring, I guess it's possible that it was converted to halogen at some point. Won't know until the OP updates.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.