1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Hybrid is better: Toyota Prius or Honda Civic hybrid?

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by kritimorn, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have the 2000 Honda Insight and a 2008 Toyota Prius. For trips that have a lot of city driving I find that the Synergy system of the Prius is better. For drives that have a lot of highway driving the Insight's IMA system is better.

The situation that you are describing and the choices that you are offering makes me lean toward Prius in your situation. It seems optimum for the Plug In Prius which isn't of course, available yet.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I lived in North Dakota when I got my 2004 Prius in January of that year. At 20 and 30 degrees below zero F., with my three-mile, ten-minute commute, I was getting around 29 mpg. I was very disappointed (since I did not yet understand what affects mileage -- I found and joined Prius Chat a month later.)

HOWEVER, I don't believe any conventional car would have done so well under the same conditions. And in summer, with the same commute, my mileage went up into the 40's. Still poor compared to what the car does on longer trips, but much better than any non-hybrid in similar circumstances.

To say that "neither hybrid is useful" for short trips is a new and creative use of the word "useful." The Prius gets better mileage on any route you can devise than a gasoline powered non-hybrid, and I would imagine the same could be said of the HCH. Its usefulness is only limited by its size and power. It is not "useful" for towing a big trailer or for carrying 8 people.

Short trips, a Prius will out-perform anything other than an electric car, or possibly an Insight. (I think the Gen I Insight does better on gas, and I'm not sure of the Gen II Insight, but both are small and have less power.)

3. Rupert B Puppenstein

Rupert B Puppenstein Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I went through this last week when I had to buy a new car and decided to buy the Prius. I had a 2006 Civic that I loved, and well...more so my service advisor was awesome and I didn't want to leave Honda because I actually looked forward to taking my car in for the routine maintenance. :) The cost of the newest Hybrid Civic was a bit higher because the newest generation was just released. So, your room for negotiation was just about impossible. So, the Prius won with that because I got an incredible deal on mine.

The drive is much nicer in the Prius as far as road noise, and suspension, whereas the drive in the Civic Hybrid was a bit better as far as handling, but the road noise was pronounced, the suspension was a bit less forgiving, and the gas mileage with the Prius is obviously better.

The look - well, since I was a loyal Honda owner, I was familiar with the setup and it has the fancy option of putting pictures of your loved ones on the display. I also think that the display was a bit easier to navigate through.

Insurance costs - the same coverage for me in a Civic was higher than the 2011 Prius. I assume some of that was due to the model just being released, but just thought I would bring that up. You also get the two years of free scheduled maintenance with the Prius which you would never get with the Civic (although some Toyota dealers were offering unlimited free routine maintenance).

The thing that disappointed me most with the Civic Hybrid was the fact that the Hybrid and Gas model really aren't that different with fuel economy. I was able to attain over 40 mpg. consistently in my gas Civic when friends of mine with the Civic Hybrid are not able to get that. So, why pay that extra premium when their regular model will get you the same results?

The cars are essentially the same size, but the cargo options are better with the Prius. I do agree that the gap between the Prius and the Civic Hybrid is a bit smaller these days, but until Honda goes back to the original hybrid principles with the old Insight, I don't think that I will go back to Honda. :( It really does make me sad to not have my Honda anymore...who knows what kind of service advisor I will have now? A good one is so hard to find!

I guess it all depends on what is important to you...but I do think that Toyota has the market with hybrids at this point. I am not sure what Honda is thinking these days...their hybrids make very little sense. :confused:

4. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My wife is interested in a Hybrid now after I purchased my Prius Gen 3 IV. She looked at the Acura ILX which is a fancy Honda Civic Hybrid. I can say that the Prius gets 10 MPG more 50 vs. 40. The Prius has a touch screen and the ILX does not. The Prius has a HUD the ILX does not. Both have leather seats but the ILX is far more luxury and a cockpit feeling. The ILX has a nicer interior. The ILX stereo has a bult in hard drive that can save about 3,800 songs from a CD the Prius does not. Both have 90 day sirius trail. Both have backup camera. The rear seat in the ILX is small compared to the Prius. The ILX has a trunk and the Prius a hatchback. The ILX trunk is small but OK for most people. The ILX warranty is not as good as the Toyota warranty on the battery. The ILX seems more like a regular car. The Prius offers much more data on the hybrid including better graphics. The ILX hybrid info is not on the navagiation screen but a small monocrome maintenance screen. It is hard to say which is better both have differences. I would test drive both and decide. I'm particial to the Prius but the ILX looks like a sporty car.

5. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think the Insight is a great car and Honda did an excellent job of finding a nitch for it...At least until the Prius C came out. If you are in the market for a Hybrid and you have to stay within a $20k budget, the Insight is awesome.

JMD likes this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't see any point in storing music on a built in hard drive when one can plug in a portable USB thumb drive of any desired size. Editing the USB device on a home PC is simple.

Another factor is the quite different Honda vs. Toyota feel. Many drivers are quite partisan on this, e.g. many Honda fans finding numbness and lack of feedback in Toyota steering. So if she has a long history with either brand, don't push hard to make her switch.

7. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you knew my wife I never push,she is very head strong, and it is best to just agree with her, since in the end she will just do what she wants which is part of her confidence and education all rolled into one personality. Like any purchase process she has already formulated a list of pro's and con's in her head. She likes the Acura her current car is a 5 year old Acura TSX. If between the Prius and the Acura ILX she will choose the ILX is my gut feeling. Although the gas mileage is not as good as the Prius and it takes Premium gas she likes the fit and feel, the stylish looks, and she is still improving her gas mileage from 26 overall to 40 overall. She wants to look at the Camry Hybrid with Leather and all the option is about the same price as the Prius IV w/ solar and gets a little better mileage than the ILX. She does not need the extra rooom and frankly the Camry is just not a hot looking car in her mind, it is more a family car, and she likes a sporty looking car. So all things being equal I believe she will settle with the ILX and she will most likely sell the car before the warranty expires and avoid any costly repairs if required. The one benefit on the Prius is the 7 year or 100,000 mile warranty on the battery, Acura has no stated battery warrenty but it falls under the standard warranty which is I believe 3 years and 36 K miles.

8. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Excuse me the ILX warranty Powertrain is 72 months or 70,000 Miles. I'm assuming Powertrain includes battery and electric motor. Your right the hard drive is moot with smart phones and iPod integration. Both cars have text message display.

9. priusbee

priusbee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota Prius came out first, therefore, they are the Innovator; Honda came later because of the Prius - Honda is a follower.
    In terms of real world mileage winner, Prius is better than Honda.
    I owned both cars from Toyota and Honda. Toyota makes a more reliable car. Honda makes a car that will break after the warranty runs out. Maybe Honda is better now, but I put my money on Toyota.

JMD likes this.
  10. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I know. My wife purchased the Acura ILX Hybrid thispast weekend. I cannot disagree with her, just say OK Honey. Her mind said she likes the ILX interior and outside , it looks better she says, and she said she will trade it in when the warranty expires as she did her past few cars. Can't argue with he or I'll be sleeping on the couch LOL

11. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Also the Acura ILX text message display only work with Android and not Iphone. Prius works with both.

12. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    All around the Prius is a better car. Better gas mileage, regular gas, better technology, touch screen, and cool solar moon roof, better smart phone integration, better warranty, etc.

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the U.S. market, the original Honda Insight preceded the Prius. While Honda has become a follower now, it certainly was an Innovator at the start of Hybrid Era.
    Better than the original (not the newer cost-reduced) Insight?

When Uncle Wayne / Jud / Tarabell made ran their 48 State Tour to show that gas hybrids could do better than a Jetta TDI, they took a Civic Hybrid, not a Gen2 Prius. (Gen3 Prius was not yet available)
    My Prius replaced a 23 year old Honda Accord. Let me get back to you in about 15 years to see if my Prius is keeping up to the reliability of that Honda.

14. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    23 Year old Accord. That must be a record. Amazing. You got your monies worth with that.

15. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    KBB just announced the Honda Fit as the best RESALE VALUE award in the subcompact surpassing the Yaris. If I recall they won it last year also.
    2013 Best Resale Value Awards: Subcompact Car - Kelley Blue Book

The Best Hybrid for resale Value is the Ford Fusion Hybrid surpassing the Honda Civic.
    2013 Best Resale Value Awards: Hybrid - Alternative Energy Car - Kelley Blue Book

The Best EV car is the Chev Volt with the Prius Plug in PIP in second place.
    2013 Best Resale Value Awards: Electric Car - Kelley Blue Book

16. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I did get my money's worth, but it is no record. Three months ago, I saw my old one on I-5, still running, at age 26. Numerous others of the same vintage are frequently spotted around here. And I still see a number of the previous model Accord still on the road, minimum age now 27.

DW still has her Honda (really an Acura) closing in on 24 years, with fewer miles but even fewer problems than mine had.

18. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Amazing. Is there a secret like I garaged it, never drove above 65 MPH, changed the oil at 3,000 miles like clockwork, you're a mechanic by trade and never missed a beat? There has to be a trick. Also I'm guessing the High Humidty in Washington State had to create some problems for you with Rust, how did you overcome the environment?

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    DW's car got the garage, not mine. The first portion of its life was in the 55 era, and we drive slower than SoCal folks not stuck in a traffic jam, speeding is not a social requirement here. Post-55, it was mostly in a 60 zone, not 65 or 70. Oil changes on a reasonable schedule (typically4000 miles, as it wasn't getting severe service), what idiot doesn't change oil? I'm not a mechanic.

High Humidity zone? DW grew up on the other coast, and very strongly disputes claims that we have high humidity. Until very recently, we also had very little salt in winter, but political pressures have greatly increased this destructive stuff. So lots of cars have lasted a long time here, but it remains to be seen if that will continue with this new-found love of salt.

20. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Thanks, definitely an inspiration for the drive it to the grave types like me.