1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

which inverter part number do i need?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Metaleckz, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Metaleckz

Metaleckz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2010 Prius with a bad inverter. I replaced it sometime last year and it happened again. I was told by a mechanic to buy a 'newer' or updated inverter because they are more robust and when i looked it up here on the forum, i saw about 3 part numbers and i don't know which one to get
    G9200-47190
    G9200-49025
    G9200-47140
    there could be more part numbers but which one is the updated part number that will work on my 10' prius.
    Thanks

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The part you need is best found from a dealer using your vin. If a superceded part number is available, they can give it to you. Some dealers sell online as well and will recommend the part based on your vin.

You would be better off with a new inverter with updated transistors but you can't just go to the junkard/ebay and buy one from a later model as it may not work at all or it may have the weaker parts yours had. In the end, its get a new from inverter or repair a dealer or buy used and hope for the best.

Finally some people buy an ebay inverter and successfully install it only to later find out a trip to the dealer could have saved them big. Don't be that guy.

Attached Files:

3. Colorado Boo

Colorado Boo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    On the McGeorge Toyota website, it's only listing the last one (G9200-47140) for your model and it's $2,266.47 (retails for $2,928.28) so a pretty nice discount of 20%.
    Their website is https://toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.com

Metaleckz likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    By the way, what was the 'it' that happened last time, and what's the 'it' that happened this time?

5. Metaleckz

Metaleckz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    first time, my prius inverter died and i couldnt move it at all. it would only go to neutral and the engine wouldnt start. i bought a used inverter and that worked for a while and now, my inverter died again but this time, i can still drive the car but on "limp mode" (only up to 30mph and only the ICE is functioning but not the hybrid system)

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did you retrieve diagnostic codes either time to find out what the problem was?

A car without a functioning inverter cannot drive. There is no mechanical transfer of power from the engine without the inverter to manage MG1.

7. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Don't forget Toyota may replace it free.

8. Metaleckz

Metaleckz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I actually went to the dealer and they voided my warranty because i have replaced it last year and they found out that the inverter installed now is from a junkyard. I emailed toyota to see if they can do this one for me, lol

9. Metaleckz

Metaleckz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Usual P0A7A and p0a94

10. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I guess you are that guy. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, many don't sign up with Toyota to get recalls and customer support program notices and learn too late Toyota was ready to help. Priuschat does not help sometimes when they advise people to diy and avoid the dealers. Its 15 years on the inverters.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did you have those exact two codes both times?

The codes are sometimes worth knowing if you're looking at the price of the whole inverter assembly, because in Gen 3, the IPM, converter, and MG ECU are all available as replaceable components.

Yes, replacing either the IPM or the converter requires a fussy procedure involving heatsink compound (and if you're not fussy enough, you'll get to do it again with new parts). But in cases where only one has failed, it can shave a bunch off the parts cost.

In this case, if there's both a P0A7A implicating the IPM and a P0A94 implicating the converter, it might just be less trouble to replace the whole assembly.

The repair manuals on TIS get ongoing updates, and for anybody referring to old downloaded PDFs that circulate on the web, the sections about inverter and converter component-level diagnosis and replacement are way more complete now than they were in the downloads that circulate.

12. STEPHEN CARMICHAEL

STEPHEN CARMICHAEL New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    Excel
    Sorry for jumping on this thread but I actually got the recall done about 6 months ago and my inverter failed a few days ago, been looking at replacement part but alot of different part codes for the same part, going to ring Toyota tomorrow, doubt il get anywhere but if I can atleast find out which inverter part codes are suitable for a 2014 Prius plus il he happy

13. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They did the recall and it failed? Certainly take it back. It should be covered by there warranty.

14. STEPHEN CARMICHAEL

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    Excel

15. STEPHEN CARMICHAEL

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    Excel
    How long is the warranty in the UK? My car is a 2014 but I've 196000 miles on it

16. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have no idea of the warranty in the uk.
    I was talking about when the did the recall, and when the inverter failed. How long was it, mile wise?
    The recall was suppossed to keep the inverter from failing.
    You should still return to the place that did it and have them check it out, purhaps they will replace it at no charge to you.

17. tony_2018

tony_2018 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    super weird that the inverter fails again.

18. aucomp1

aucomp1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2010 Prius in Australia. The inverter recently died and Toyota wanted $5k to replace.
    After extensive research decided to source a second hand newer model online.
    Managed to find one out of an Auris (UK car)
    Original: G9200 41740
    Replaced by: G900 41790

Took around 8 hours to remove and replace, all working fine now.
    Of course only time will tell.

ASRDogman likes this.