1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

which is better a gen 2 or gen 3

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by glen68, Jan 11, 2014.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't hear the sound with the windows up. and that's with no ice running. the only time it bothers me is when i'm backing out of the garage with the window down, or driving near pedestrians and everybody is looking at me like, 'what's wrong with your car'?o_O

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    based on what i've seen in new gen toyota's (hycam, rav 4, venza, avalon, prius c and v) i'm not holding out much hope for the next prius interior. it just doesn't seem to be something toyota does well.

jefe likes this.
  3. glen68

glen68 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've only had my Prius a few weeks but have never heard the sound of course it's winter so my windows are up and I park outside

SPH-L710 ?

4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just my 2c worth; I recently bought a 2009 Gen II Prius with 83k miles on the odometer. I also bought the extended warranty (bumper to bumper, 5 years, 60k miles). Very happy so far, around 45mpg around town, best I've done between fill-ups is 48mpg (and it's still winter!) - I'm starting to love this car!

5. APGeek08

APGeek08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently bought a 2008 Prius. It was tough to decide between the Gen-II and Gen-III, but the interior and the price for my Gen-II won me over. I feel as if the interior of the Gen-III is just too cramped due to that big center console, and the interior of the Gen-II is just more open and inviting. When it comes to the exterior looks I think the Gen-III looks a little better, but I'm inside the car when driving it around so the interior is more important to me.

In regards to seat comfort in the Gen-II, I've been on some light trips (2-3 hours) without any signs of discomfort, but I did spend some time making sure the seat is positioned just right to give me plenty of support. Overall the car is very comfortable.

I've been averaging anywhere between 48-55 mpg depending on my driving habits and I'm really loving my Prius!

WilDavis and glen68 like this.
  6. glen68

glen68 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I really liked the interior of the gen 2 as well but since buying my gen 3 last month it's growing on me

SPH-L710 ?

7. oldscooterguy

oldscooterguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please don't take this the wrong way but judging from your profile picture I'm pretty surprised you went Gen III.
    I'm similar in build to your husband and 6'3".

I love my gen II, wife wanted one. We checked out Gen III. I cannot express in words strong enough how much I loathe, abhor, detest and despise the center console in the Gen III.

Bad knee contributes to being unable to buy a Gen III. We finally found an extremely low mileage 04 that we both love. We're a 2 Prii family with daughter of driving age that wants to "inherit" my 05. I drive quite a bit and could NEVER own a Gen III due to the knee killer center console.

As long as Toyota ignores the ergonomics of tall/"big boned"/aging/claustrophobic (like my buddy that wants one but the center console makes him feel like he's in a "coffin") etc Americans they are limiting the appeal.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The external noise maker was installed after the 2010 model year.