1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Kill-a-Watt are you guys planning on using?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by I922sParkCir, Mar 9, 2012.

1. I922sParkCir

I922sParkCir Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi Guys,

Since I live with roommates I'm going to need to know exactly how much my PiP will be consuming to be fair. I've been looking at these two Kill-a-Watt models:

P4460 Kill A Watt EZ

P4480 Kill A Watt GT

I need to calculate my monthly usage, and I'd like a device that could read out the cost for the month thus far. They both look like they can do that, but the second one has a timer ability so I can schedule the charging to complete right before my commute (per these recommendations).

What do you guys think? Also, if you are planning on using a Kill-a-Watt, which one?

2. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The Prius Plug-in has a charging timer, so why would you need this feature on the Kill-a-Watt?

3. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The only benefit of the P4480 I see (since you dont need the timer) is the big screen (maybe even illuminated?) and that it can retain your measurements after you unplug it from the wall. I have a P4400 that I've used a few times while charging.

4. I922sParkCir

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Having played with the timer feature on a friend's PiP it's a bit of a hassle programming it each time, especially since I'm most likely going to be charging it at work as well. Being able to plug it in at home and forget about it might be worth a slightly more expensive device.

5. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That is true.. I wish the Base had the smartphone charge management. I suppose being able to set it and forget it is worth the extra $15-20 for the P4480.

6. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  7. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I ordered and received the model P4400 made by p3international.com.
    Shame that it's Made in China.
    I got it on Amazon, $19.99 with no shipping cost.
    Simply to use.
    Hopefully, my PIP will arrive next week.

8. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Can you elaborate on what was the hassle? I can see it being a hassle to change the time, but if the time remains the same, then I believe it is just pushing a button.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...got the 4460 EZ for Xmas...but PiP was not included...highway robbery.
    It is a little hard to read the screen (dark) and extension cord useful for certain uses. How many amps does the PiP suck in? 4460 good for 15 max.

10. I922sParkCir

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I assumed you had to reset it everytime, but if it's as easy and just turning it on again then that wouldn't be much of a hassle. Does the start and finish time remain the same?

11. greenleaf

greenleaf Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On my Kill-A-Watt, it reads 11.97A.

12. greenleaf

greenleaf Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you want to use the timer, you need to remember to press the timer button before you plug it in. If you don't press the timer button, it starts charging immediately.

Pressing the timer button is one more thing for me to remember to do as I exit the car every night I come home.

13. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I believe so. The Owner's Manual doesn't quite say so explicitly, but on pg. 87 it says:

14. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, the times stay the same from the last time they were set. But I've been using the start time for all my timed charges. I read here that someone mentioned that when you set the end time, it starts the charging much earlier than necessary. So in my case, I set the start timer at night around 5am. Then I set it up at work to start at 230pm (or 10am if I want juice for lunch).

The only issue I would have with the P4480 is if I wanted a quick charge at home before heading out at night, I would need to change the timer on the P4480, which would be more of a pain than changing it in the car. Charge management on the phone wild be the best option for me. If you never juice up before retiring the car for the evening, the P4480 would work.

15. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Update: I had to take apart the P4460 and use pliers to widen the ground connector end so that the EVSE ground pin would fit in and it is still a tight fit. Just a word of warning to interested in the P4460. Initially, the Prius Plug-in EVSE would not fit because the ground pin is not rounded and the P4460 ground connector is too tight.

The P4460 has a battery backup which the P4400 does not appear to have. This means if power goes out, the meter reading isn't lost.

The P4460 also can calculate costs based on a single electrical rate. It would have been nice if it could calculate cost based on time and multiple electrical rates for those on time-of-use rate schedules.

16. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Any users of the P4400 or other Kill-a-Watt models had issues with the EVSE ground pin fitting in the Kill-a-Watt? I'm ok with switching models, but I'd like to make sure I don't end up with another Kill-a-Watt that doesn't fit the EVSE.

17. I922sParkCir

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I received my P4460 today and I noticed it was a tight fit. I figured it would loosen with time and use.

Oddly enough the Kill a Watt killed the circuit and reported that my PiP we all the way up to 16 amps.

1 person likes this.
  18. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can actually plug it in, let it start charging as you pointed out, but then go back in to set the timer. The charging will stop and then start at the designated time.

I did this a lot the first week or so because I wasnt in the habit of setting the timer.

19. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just give them a credit for $25 per month and you will all be way ahead. That would be enough money to at least cover the cost for one full charge per day at the 24 cent/kwh tier. If you want to be really generous, give them a credit for $30... but that's about all it's worth.

20. I922sParkCir

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ehh, I just want to pay for exactly what I use, and they are the same way.