1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which LRR's have the least rolling resistance?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Davsup, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's not just the natural decrease of efficiency in cold weather: the car is monitoring outside temp, and it adjusts warm-up behavior based on what it reads, coupled with how you've set cabin heating/ventilating controls. On a cold morning, if you've set the cabin temperature high, it's for sure going to keep the engine running a lot longer during warm-up.

2. JosephG

JosephG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Somebody here created a spreadsheet where they were collecting data on fuel efficiency and complaints for several LRR tires, but it seems to be gone now.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I end up keeping mine past warranty (next June), I'll get mine replaced with Performance Tyres, forget about LLR.

4. JosephG

JosephG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    These days even more performance-oriented tires have lower rolling resistance, but I've been very pleased with the stock tires on my Prius. They've handled very nicely in the rain and dry. I guess it's probably TNGA and not the tires and sticky tires would make it handle even better, but I can't imagine I'd want anything more considering it's not exactly a fast car.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  5. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I don't have an answer to your specific question, but this one datum point may offer some insight: the tires you installed, the Bridgstone Ecopia 422+ are the OEM tires on my 2018, which I've had for two weeks now. I am definitely not having a mileage problem in any respect. Of course, my single-car, single-driver example won't allow any firm conclusions, but it would certainly tend to suggest your issue is not with the make-model of tire itself.

Of course, figuring out something like this can be an absolute nightmare. Maybe you got one or two individual bad tires. Maybe the installer inadvertently knocked the car out of alignment. Maybe, maybe, maybe... Good luck with it.

Oh yeah, I just noticed the original post date. Any further insights gained since then?

6. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Someone with time, money and knowhow could give you the answer for the very best low rolling resistance tire by setting it up in a lab and run them and measure the resistance electronically by the amount of power it takes to run the tire over a long distance. I have never heard of this type of testing being done by independent testing. Running them on the car creates too many variables. I'm sure the manufacturer has exact data but I doubt they will share it.

BruceInOKC likes this.