1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Michelin tire

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Grichard, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That can be said for most tires? Usually poor alignment is the cause how-ever and not the tires fault? Hal

2. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Not the cause: Alignment was checked the last time the tires were rotated. I suspect that this is a problem that shows up as mileage accumulates. This is a new tire design with no track record (and a suspiciously low tread life warranty from Michelin), I was an early adopter, and am giving "early warnings" about this tire.

1 person likes this.
  3. sciencekit

sciencekit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I purchase from Costco, and am now on my second set via the warehouse store. My first set of Michelin tires were HydroEdge. Loved them. They gained better mpgs, gave excellent road feedback, and lasted much longer than the BFG set I was experimenting with on my 2004 Prius. When the Energy Saver A/S tires came out, I bought a set. MPGs are the same as my HydroEdge set, I don't feel as much feedback, but (and this surprised me) driving traction (even in wet conditions) feels improved over the HydroEdge. The only downside to the Energy Saver tires is their stopping distance. Feels like they take more brake and distance to bring to a stop, even after ~18K miles.

1 person likes this.
  4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    6 months ago I had Costco put the Energy Savers on my '08. I also had the alignment done, well worth the money! Now that they are broken in and set and maintained at 42/40, THEY ROCK! I actually had a run of 56mpg....not a full tank, but a 80 mile round trip..That was a personal best, I thought the mpg meter broke!
    I put my money on them! If you do too, I do not think you will be disappointed!

1 person likes this.
  5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Energy Savers pretty much took top honors in the "Round and Black" tirerack.com test. Their evaluation of my tires in that test proved accurate as well. Hopefully their new test will be made public soon. One of the guys from their testing team told me it should come out this month.

6. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't think you would be sorry.

7. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Which Energy Savers tire is this you speaking? What model or Item # did you purchase?

Thanks, Jim - WC1L

8. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Jim, I just looked at the Costco website, either they are out of Michelin Energy Savers, or can not get them???? They are quite a popular tire. It would be worth a call to your local Costco Tire Dept and check. The tires I bought were Michelin Energy Savers 185/65 R15. To top it off I had a nice coupon, saved some bucks.
    F8L just started a good thread, on this very subject. If you have not read it, check it out.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-fuel-economy/98592-new-tire-tests-tirerack-com.html