1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Michelin would you buy?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by eak354, Sep 10, 2006.

1. wombat1

wombat1 New Member

Do I understand correctly that 195/60R15 tires will fit on the OEM rims that came with the
    OEM 185/65R15 tires mounted on them, or to you have to get new rims?

2. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stevejm @ Oct 14 2006, 08:41 AM) [snapback]332693[/snapback]</div>
    I've gone both ways myself, and definitely prefer the local retailer approach as it gives you a degree of response that's hard for a remote seller to match. That said, I've used the "leverage" of TireRack to secure a better deal from a local store. In fact, on this last purchase, I told them I'd rather buy from them but at their asking price, I'd have to go with TR (which was totally true). I showed them what my TR cost would be for tires, shipping, taxes, and install; and told them that if they'd come reasonably close to that, I'd stay with them. They did, and things worked out great. All the more so, as they were happy to assist me with the "turn in" of the month-old Hydroedges. Try this approach; I'm confident that you can find a local retailer who is willing to beat or closely match TireRack (or the other on-line sellers) in order to get a sale.

3. mbarrows

mbarrows Illini Bird

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eak354 @ Sep 10 2006, 05:00 AM) [snapback]317277[/snapback]</div>

Funny you should mention this; I just purchased a set on new Michelin Hydroedges Friday. We're up in Michigan this weekend with the Prius (was originally going to take my Thunderbird but the weather forecasts were too grim). With the OEMs' had episodes of loss of traction and hydroplaning; these new tires were great on the rain and sleet slicked highways we just encountered. They also seem very quiet. So far, they're performing well.

PS - Purchased the tires from Discount Tires and used the "Tire Rack" printout to get them to meet their price (about $10.00 less per tire). Discount Tires DID add the delivery charge Tire Rack quoted so savings weren't as good as I thought but saving some money is better than not. PLUS, for a limited amount of time, they are including a $50 rebate on the set of four tires.

4. wombat1

wombat1 New Member

I've been following these tire threads quite closely since I definitely want to replace
    the original Goodyear tires. I notice that Michelin apparently makes three
    tires in the MXV4 family. Can someone with greater knowledge of tires
    explain to me the $40 price range of the following from lowest to highest at
    Sam's club?

Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus XSE - 195/60R15 88H $104

Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus P195/60R15 $109

Michelin EnergyMXV4 Plus XSE - 195/60R15 88V $144

Further, I note that MXV4 tires are only warranted for 40,000 miles while the
    X-radial (only available at Sam's, Costco and BJs) are warranted for 80,000
    miles. I’m concerned about ability to aggressively stop (essential given the
    traffic and driving where I’m temporarily located) but wonder if the MXV4's
    are that superior to the X-radial to make up for the greater cost and apparently
    significantly greater treadwear.

5. smarano

smarano Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ekpolk @ Oct 14 2006, 10:07 AM) [snapback]332696[/snapback]</div>

That's basically what I was thinking of doing. Thanks.
    One last question: I noticed that you decided to stay with the stock size for the MXV4's.
    Had you given any thought to switching to one of the wider sizes (e.g. 195), and what
    prompted you to stick with stock?

6. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stevejm @ Oct 14 2006, 01:07 AM) [snapback]332633[/snapback]</div>
    Mine are the stock size.

Been thinking of trying the MXV4 S8 next, but that requires a minor size change. Michelin seems to imply on their web site these are even better for LRR, and they can be run at higher tire pressure. But I'm a long way from needing any more tires.

7. Claudia

Claudia New Member

We put Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S 205/60/15 on our Prius a few weeks ago - remarkable improvement in handling, stability, traction, and ride.
    Husband was a doubting Thomas - but he doubts no longer. Between new feet and a proper toe-in alignment, the 06 Prius drives like it did in my dreams.

8. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stevejm @ Oct 14 2006, 09:41 AM) [snapback]332693[/snapback]</div>
    Costco has one of their $60 off a set of 4 sales going on now. During these sales, their prices generally beat TireRack's prices. If I recall the coupon that was mailed to primary members is good till November 2. Through costco.com you can order tires with a $60 discount applied at checkout (no coupon) through November 5, and then you have 4 weeks before you must go to your Costco warehouse to get them.

Costco.com doesn't list the MXV4+ in our oem size on their website at the moment, but you can probably find or order it by calling a Costco warehouse. They also sell my favorite Michelins, the Pilot Exalto A/S and the X-Ice. Some locations can be less compliant about installing non-OEM tires. Call first if you want a non-OEM size. Be ready call other locations.

Many local tire shops will price match Costco. Be aware that the prices Costco generally quotes include mounting, valve stems, lifetime balancing, lifetime rotations, and a road hazard warranty. Some locations will add a $1 tire disposal fee and tax. Some tire shops say they don't pricematch mail order prices. Some will match the tire price but then overcharge installation. Some tire shops say they don't pricematch coupons; then Costco.com is helpful.

If you wan't a Michelin you'll probably find your best price by price matching or buying from Costco during one of these sales.

If you wan't a better deal on the MXV4+, consider the Continental ContiProContact. Here's a tire test comparing the two tires in numbers (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=66) or words (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=66). These similar, newer design tires test better and cost less. They are also offer excellent LRR for fuel efficiency and are rated up to 51psi.

9. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Alas, the nearest Costco appears to be about four hours away from my home. . . If they're readily at hand, sounds like they are either a great source or either tires directly, or "leverage" to cut deals.

I had actually considered the Continentals. I did not look at the cited reviews. Admittedly, it's pretty non-rational, but I had a poor experience with Continentals in the past, admittedly, just one set of tires, and a long time ago.

What really pushed me over to the Michelins was the 30 day "no questions asked" warranty thing. Goodyear used to offer this with some tires, including the Comfortreads -- don't know if they still do. And I don't know if Continental offers such a plan. I might consider the product again in the future, if they did. In the future, if such terms are available, I probably won't consider buying tires that don't come backed in this way.

10. ST8

ST8 New Member

I just traded in my 650 mile integrities for michelin pilot exalto as 205 60 15. Immediately better: noise level, smoothness of ride, cornering, braking, and best of all mpg. I only have 54 miles on the pilots but it is on the same terrain that i was driving on the integrities. The integrities 44, pilots 58. I know, must be some factor that i am ignoring. I actually have driven the pilots a little harder to see what they can do. The numbers on the integrities were from 240 miles on the current tank.

After rebates and tradein the pilots only cost me $265 and that includes install and tax. Discount tire will match the costco price plus they take the integrities as trade in. THey gave me 30 per tire. good luck

I have used mxv 4+ for about ten years and they are nice but the pilot is a great tire for the price. 89.99

11. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mdiguy @ Oct 14 2006, 06:51 AM) [snapback]332694[/snapback]</div>
    They'll fit fine. I have Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds in that size mounted on the stock wheels. Huge improvement in grip over the Integritys (as is just about any other tire).

12. prberg

prberg Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    hi all... thanks for all the good info. Can anyone help me with one specific question. How do these tires rate regarding LRR? I wish all tires had a LRR rating so we could judge better. How much difference is there between these tires regarding mileage?

X-Radials
    MXV4+
    Pilot Exalto A/S
    Falken Ziex ZE 512
    BFgoodrich Traction T/A

thanks so much,

-Peter B

13. jstack

jstack New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    look at greenseal.com for the best low rolling resistance tire. I think the MVX is for snow and you are in HI

14. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jstack @ Nov 19 2006, 09:50 AM) [snapback]351664[/snapback]</div>
    MXV4+ are my summer tires. The Xice are for winter.

15. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prberg @ Oct 17 2006, 01:14 PM) [snapback]334016[/snapback]</div>
    The TRB and other studies have suggested that rolling resistance in tires can amount to a 10% change in fuel efficiency. http://www.trb.org/publications/sr/sr286.pdf Like you, they recommended that the government and tire industry include rolling resistance data in the UTQG (uniform tire quality grade) information on every tire sold so that consumers can make informed decisions.

Good data on rolling resistance is hard to find. The Transportation Research Board gathered a bunch of data, including the data from EOS Consulting funded by Green Seal. Here's their data: http://www.trb.org/publications/sr/SR286Ro...stance_Data.pdf. Consumer Reports does test rolling resistance in their tire tests. I believe they tested the Pilot Exalto A/S, Falken Ziex ZE-512, MXV4 Plus, BFG Traction T/A (H rated), and other performance and grand touring tires in November 2006. They tested the Michelin X-radial and others general passenger all-season tires in November 2005.

Out of the tires you named, the MXV4$ and possibly the X-Radials will offer better fuel efficiency and the BFG will offer worse fuel efficiency. I became really interested in rolling resistance and fuel efficiency of different tires after seeing a big drop in fuel economy when I replaced the original MXV4$ tires on my Elantra with BFG Traction T/A (H series) tires.

As you live in southern California and might not be concerned about snow and ice traction, I'd also recommend the Sumitomo HTR 200 summer tire. This is not mud and snow rated, but has low rolling resistance and excellent reviews on the tirerack.com. The Dunlop Sport SP 5000 and Continental ContiProContact are also worth considering by those looking for low rolling resistance and great traction for either fun or safety.

16. Verrückt

Verrückt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 10 2006, 07:45 AM) [snapback]317290[/snapback]</div>
    If safety was truly your top concern, you would have dedicated summer and winter tires.

17. Gen2

Gen2 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 10 2006, 08:06 AM) [snapback]317347[/snapback]</div>

I've used the Michelin Energy MXV4 in all my other Toyotas with very good results. In shopping for replacements for my Prius, I called Michelin and they told me that although all thier tires are designed to have low rolling resistance in mind, that their Energy series was specifically designed for low rolling resistance. Being in sunny California, I have not had any regrets running these tires in the light rain we get here.

18. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

19. riabreed011

riabreed011 Junior Member

hi folks -

have been following the [many!] tire threads - thanks to all of you for such diligent work (theorist, nyprius, Hybrid Mutant, claudia especially, and many others).

A few questions about tire size: I'm about ready to replace my Goodyear Comfortreads, which are down to 2.5 after 37,000 miles of driving in 1.75 years. I admit I drive my Prius hard, like I used to drive the Saabs I was formerly addicted to...every week I drive lots of highway miles, plus around a city with steep hills, and on rainy hilly narrow country roads.

I really want stability and safety in my ride, so, based on your comments, I have just about narrowed it down to the Michelin Pilot Exaltos A/S. Any comments on 205's vs. 195's? I know I want a wider tire, but I am not sure about how wider.

thanks!

20. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just put on 205/60 15 Pilot Exalto A/S from Costco on my Prius on Monday. The 205 have a closer rev per mile to the original tires than the 195. I live on a winding mountain road and was getting about 38-39 mpg. It is now down to 34.7 mpg. I hope it comes back up a little. The Pilots are much quieter than the originals. I only had 13,500 on originals and they were badly worn on the edges with doing rotations at 4500 mile intervals.