1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which mini VCI to buy?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by kutcht1, Mar 6, 2015.

1. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I have spent WAY to much time trying to figure out which version and firmware I need to get his up and running and can not believe there is not a thread stickied that is full of this info. I just purchased an old DELL with Windows 7 32bit since that is one of the consistent things I was finding. I have been on this site, toyotaforums, lexusforums searching for this info only to find that there are several out there that do not work. Have found that there is an Xhorse or something that developed this mini VCI from pirate Toyota Techstream software. Is there a consistent "THIS WILL WORK" combination to this as I find them all over ebay and the internet. I am also a Macintosh user and really know very little about the PC world. Any help out there?
    Thanks!
    TomK

2. messenger

messenger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought mine off of Amazon I think it was around $25 and it works perfectly with W7 32bit. The later versions are updates for the latest model cars, if you are using it with Gen 1 or Gen 2 cars I wouldn't worry about which version.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As a Mac user, an alternative is to run Boot Camp with Windows 7, 32 bit OS. That is what I do with my MacBook Pro when using Mini VCI.

This is the one that I bought:

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm using a 3-4 year old version of Virtual PC on an Intel based MacBook.

Bob Wilson

5. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies. If it really does not matter for a Dell running Windows 7 32bit, why do you think there are so many people having troubles and say some of these copies from China are cheap clones that do not work? Patrick, I think I will get the one in the link you sent then and hope I can get it to work.
    TomK

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Some people have trouble installing the software in the precise order required.
    2. Some people are trying to use 64 bit OS and the workaround provided in the Tundra forum may or may not work (it didn't work for me so I had to buy Windows 7 32 bit OS)
    3. Some of the cables actually might be defective, that is not impossible to imagine.

If you manage to prevail I think you will be very happy with Mini VCI.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Patrick covered the primary run-time, technical problems. I actually bought one only to discover it only worked on the NHW11, not our ZVW30. Then someone suggested the firmware version so I bought a second one from a site claiming to be an authorized, "Xhorse", reseller. That one works on both cars but that problem was a couple of years ago.

Both worked on the NHW11 so you'll be OK as far as firmware is concerned.

Bob Wilson

8. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great! Thanks guys. I will forge ahead in my quest to be able to keep this little beast on the road.
    TomK

9. rymar

rymar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As another data point, I have the "high-end" solution for J2534 support: the Tactrix Openport 2.0. I have used it with absolutely no problems with:

Toyota Techstream 9.30.029 on a 2002 Prius and a 2009 Camry Hybrid
    OpenECU software to reprogram the accelerator pedal tables in a 2012 Subaru Impreza ECU

It also has standalone data logging capabilities (but only for Subarus).

On the downside, it is $170. Amazingly, It is both designed and built in San Francisco!

I don't have quite enough posts to include links, so just search for tactrix openport.

10. ckimery

ckimery New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I hope this is the right place to post this. I bought my 5th prius a few weeks ago, a 2002 with a burnt sensor connector to the battery ecu. I repaired the battery and replaced the battery ecu. After cleaning and balancing the battery I put it back in. I get the failure codes after the engine starts for three seconds. I rented a code reader from Autozone but it would only read the codes about 1 in 40 attempts. I bought the professional code reader from harbor freight and could read no codes. I bought a mini vci j2534 off ebay and used techstream but it could not see any data from any ecu’s, but it does work with my 2006 prius. I am trying to figure out if it is the car or the devices I have tried to read the codes with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Make sure it is configured for ISO-9141 which uses the K and L lines. The 2004-later Prius use the CAN bus line. Autodiscovery of the protocol often fails.

Bob Wilson

12. ckimery

ckimery New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thank you Bob. The cable claims to support ISO-9141, but how do I get it to use that protocol? I searched google and looked in the cable manual.

Thanks Charles

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is done with the software that operates it. Make sure if you are using the old TechStream software that the correct model of Prius is identified.

Bob Wilson

14. ckimery

ckimery New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I am using version 9.3. I am selecting 2002 Prius 1.5. When I do a health check, It says it is communicating with all the ECU's but all the data fields remain blank.

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'll try to make some screen shots in the morning. If you can, post a screen shot?

Bob Wilson

16. ckimery

ckimery New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Theses are the screen caps from attempting to read data today. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

17. CrazyLee

CrazyLee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 04 Prius and a Mini VCI. It worked with my old Everex laptop, with Vista on it. So how, with no changes to the computer or Mini VCI it now loads the program and will not connect to the ECU. It says Error unable to connect to VIM
    I loaded Ver 10.00.028 onto my HP laptop with Win 10. I activated it but it too won't connect to the car. The same error.
    I then bought a new Mini VCI but that didn't help as there is no connection with either computer.

So I am at an impasse and need help. I would appreciate any ideas you may have.
    Thank you in advance.
    CrazyLee

18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Make sure the Prius is IG-ON (not READY) when you try to establish comm with Mini VCI.

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ardmore Alabama?

Make sure you are using ISO-9141/KWP2000.

Bob Wilson

20. CrazyLee

CrazyLee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Patrick, I did find that trick out by reading the PC forums.

Thanks, Bob
    With the new HP laptop and the latest version 10.00.028, will activate ISO-9141/KWP2000 and is selected automatically. That's what I read previously on another thread. Keep up the good info.
    Thanks.