1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which mini VCI to buy?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by kutcht1, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So have you gotten Mini VCI to communicate with your Prius or do you still have a problem?

If you still have a problem, is there another Toyota around that you can try to connect to, to see if the problem is with your Mini VCI setup or with the Prius itself?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I made these screen shots this evening:

Check the firmware version and make sure it sources from XHorse:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

3. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Just FYI,

I found an eBay seller OBDFAMILY (supposedly the original knock off-er), that sells a MiniVCI that works with Windows 8.1 (TIS version 10.X, most current). For $39 Free Shipping.

Mini VCI OBD2 Diagnostic Tool Scanner for Toyota Prius C V PHV RAV4 EV Rush T100 | eBay

In desperation, I also ordered the FOTGA Brand $22.99 (strangely included all versions of the TIS 7-10.X) plus $6 shipping version for Windows XP for my left over DELL laptop with XP.

Just go to Amazon and search FOTGA OBD2

I did this just in case I had issues with either one. Well both installed properly on both lap tops and worked on my MIL's 02 Prius.

However, despite both stating their products will work on all Toyota/Lexus/Scion post 1996.

They DO NOT work on a 1996 Lexus.

I returned the FOTGA and they refunded my money immediately, great service.

The other company OBDFAMILY stated their K-Line supported OBD2 connector will work for $20 more. Returned and sent them the difference. Well, we shall see.

2015 Original Mini VCI Diagnostic Cable for Toyota Lexus Tis Techstream FW 2 0 4 | eBay

I did notice OBDFAMILY's OBD2 seems to be built a bit more sturdy, labels/stickers were not pealing and connection seems less shaky vs the FOTGA brand, at times the FOTGA connector was not seen by TIS program on either XP or W8.1, no biggy, I just reconnected the USB and it eventually saw it. Hey, what do you want for 28 Bucks :cool:

BTW, has anyone noticed the TIS chooses 2003 for a 2002 Prius?

#23 DRACO, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    bwilson4web likes this.