1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which mobile phone carrier do you have?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Gasitman, Dec 30, 2009.

?
  1. Sprint

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  2. Verizon

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. AT&T

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  4. T-Mobile

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  5. Virgin Mobile

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  7. No cell phone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Multiple accounts with different carriers to confuse the DEA

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. Pay as you go

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My first mobile phone started with PacTel which morphed into different names until it became Cingular. In the west side of Los Angeles, there were many bad pockets where there were dropped calls, no service and weak signals. I was working on a huge deal and negotiating a contract when my contact was asking me for an impossible discount when the call was dropped. It took 10 minutes for me to call him back. He was furious because he thought I slammed the phone. That's when I decided to never ever go back with Cingular/ATT and went with Verizon.

Verizon and my Blackberry have never given me trouble but I wanted an iPhone which my friends have. I waited long enough and got myself one recently. Great piece of technology but ATT still sucks as reception is bad and the same dropped calls and data loss occur at the same locations. In fact I still have poor reception in my home.

So I won't give up my Blackberry with Verizon whichI think is the best here.

2. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have AT&T and (like others) only have them because of the iPhone. I used to have Verizon. AT&T is expensive and I've heard horror stories about their customer service but thankfully I haven't had to deal with that aspect of them (yet).

The coverage is fine for me and I'm in the SF/Bay Area as well - though I stick to the Peninsula than in the city. When I do go up into SF it's usually along the BART lines (Mission, Market St) and surrounding areas. I haven't noticed any coverage problems along those routes so far.

3. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    AT&T/iPhone ...meh

4. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have been with Sprint for 10 years and have always had good luck and good connection in my area.....;)

5. Prius101

Prius101 Paid off Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have Verizon because it was the only carrier that actually had coverage for our home when we bought it. Tried Sprint and AT&T but couldn't use phones in our new house with them. So ended up with Verizon. Turns out that my husband managed to get a discount through his company, so that made it just that much better. Have had good service, no problems. My only complaint is how difficult it is to find a phone that is JUST a phone - no web cam (can't take it on military base with camera :cool:)
    My kids have gotten me to start texting a bit. Occasionally very handy. But I don't always notice when they send ME a text! :rolleyes: Texting seems most useful for meeting someone at an airport....

6. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Verizon. Had the iPhone 3g, loved it but the coverage on AT&T sucked, and everytime I switched towers (on multiple phones) it would drop the call. [Carrier with the fewest dropped calls yeah right.] I also NEVER experienced 3g as I don't live anywhere near their 3% coverage or wtv it is. I complained about it to someone trying to sell me AT&T and their response was, "we just came out with 3g in Champaign." I said "Yeah, that's great... there is now 3g 70 miles from where I live."

I don't really like Verizon, they are expensive, but they have excellent coverage and speed. I hear that AT&T is suing over the verizon coverage map commercials claiming that what Verizon is advertising as 3g is really 2.5g and it's unfair to compare it against AT&T. I don't care, it tests near and sometimes faster than their supposed "3g." So I really hope Verizon wins, because AT&T is totally crappy when it comes to data.

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try the Samsung Knack. It has only the phone and texting capability. No camera. (Note that without a camera you will not be able to view pictures texted to your phone; but you can view them online). And it's inexpensive.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c...t&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=4117

Also, it's among cnet's highest rated Verizon phones:

Best Verizon Wireless phones - CNET Reviews

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Telstra Australia
    Best coverage on their Next G network and a reasonable cost.
    My work phone is also Telstra Next G.