1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which mode on Highway at 65

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by mroe1, Mar 17, 2014.

1. mroe1

mroe1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am trying to get the best millage with my Prius. To date I have been driving my 28 mile trip to work each day in Eco Mode. Not to many hills, but 65 miles per hour all the way. I live in Arizona. So some slow downs and traffic jams on the way home. After reading posts on this site, it seems some say better in Power Mode and some say better in Eco. Since I am on highway at 65, any one done any experiments on highway at that speed?

2. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Use Eco mode.

3. mroe1

mroe1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    One more point.............. Since I would probably be run over if I drive 55 in a 65 area, I could choose a route where I could drive slower, which would get me better millage, but then having to deal with read lights and more stop and go traffic, that would be considered City Driving. Anyone's thoughts on this?

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In my v, at 61 MPH, Eco mode makes a difference in the summer, not so much otherwise.

Do not obstruct your fellow travelers, at 61 in a 55 I pass about as many as pass me.

Remember your goal is not high MPG, it is to use less gas. A longer route can have a higher MPG, yet use more gas.

5. Richard Gregg

Richard Gregg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to ask... Why would you be doing 61 in a 55 zone anyway? o_O

6. funkright

funkright Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    flow of traffic I'd think, sometimes it can't be helped... :censored:

7. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am trying to minimize the risk of collision when passing, if I find the speed where the fewest people pass me, yet I pass the fewest people, that should be the lowest risk. Same reason I have my headlights on, minimize collisions.

8. Richard Gregg

Richard Gregg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, fair enough. Equivalent in Australia of doing 100km/h in a 90 zone. You'd probably get a speeding ticket here for that (eventually) :)

9. hieronymous

hieronymous Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    The modes have no direct impact on fuel economy; they just make your gas pedal more or less responsive when you start pushing it down. Some people drive like they are wearing gumboots, others like they have bare feet. If you are a gumboot-footed kind of person, eco mode is meant to smooth out your heavy input to start with. If you want a quick response, power mode is widely thought to be best to start with. If you have pushed your pedal all the way down, all modes give the same result.

At any chosen speed, best economy is with a steady foot, on a flat road, speed constant. If the traffic is light enough, you can "drive with load" and try to keep the same pedal setting - you will slow down on hills, your average speed for your journey will reduce, your travel time will increase, and your fuel economy will improve. If you try to maintain speed whether in eco or power (or use cruise), your average speed will be higher, your time quicker, and your economy worse. Take your pick...

If you drive smoothly as above, if the traffic permits drop your speed a little - in steady flowing traffic, speed dictates economy more than anything else.

10. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In addition, Eco mode 'relaxes' the A/C so it takes longer to adjust to changes, which helps in summer to lower the load on the big battery, and so the engine.

11. mroe1

mroe1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yet, when car makers rate vehicle MPG, they always state, so much when you drive city traffic, then when you drive highway. It seems with the Prius, it states better MPG in city vs highway. So if the standard mode, Eco Mode and Power mode has nothing to do with MPG, I say, stay in the Power Mode, for better pick up, and then try to not dive on highways when possible at higher speeds. Does that make sense?

12. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Power Mode does not have better pickup. It has better pickup per inch of pedal depression. When you put it to the floor, all modes are the same.

Chuck Pearson likes this.
  13. mroe1

mroe1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So now my question is, now that it seems, it makes no difference what mode I drive in, and the vehicle seems to get better millage at slower stop and go speeds, does it not make sense to take slower city type roads to work each day vs 65 miles per hour highways?

14. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    While I am paid shop to shop, all my clients PREFER to pay me for the time I am at their firm, the quickest route is the easiest to explain. "I billed you for an extra 1/2 hour because I chose to take this 45 MPH road rather than the main 55 MPH road" will not endear me to my clients.

Be aware that the EPA tests at 70 degrees ambient with an already warmed up engine. In real life it is often colder, windier, and my car has often sat for hours and so is 'cold'. You may find that in your life, you get better MPG at steady highway speeds than in stop and go in town. Try each route and see.

15. hieronymous

hieronymous Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have the extra time it will take, and if the slower route is of similar length, yes. If it is much longer, then your fuel consumption may be greater, despite being at a more economical rate.
    It's about the gallonage, not the mileage!

GT-I9300 ?

16. mroe1

mroe1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Okay, so I drove highway to work, trip is 28 miles, at a speed of 65MPH, got to work in about 20-25 minutes. Got at average of 49 MPG, at least according to the car, not MY calculations. Then I let the GPS take me home through the city, got an average of 51.3 MPG, a little better, BUT!!!! it took my one hour and 15 minutes. As far as I am concerned, I'd just as soon burn a little more gas, and get home sooner.

17. CTitanic

CTitanic Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, what works for me to get great MPG in a highway is Cruise Control. I stay as much time as I can with CC. In a 65 MPH highway I set the CC at 70 MPH in that way I avoid the fine and I pass as many cars as other pass me. Even when passing cars I try to stay in CC, I just change the line and pass the slow car. I always have the car set in ECO mode. I only switch to Power if I want to cross a street and I feel that I need that extra power or just a more responsive car in that moment.

18. CTitanic

CTitanic Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    keep in mind that I live in Florida, a very flat place so CC just keep the speed without braking or accelerating too much.

19. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    That is how it works in the Mississippi delta as well, I gain 90 feet in 150 miles. Parts of downtown Seattle may gain 90 feet in a block.

20. hieronymous

hieronymous Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    In addition, you haven't noted your fuel consumption. Your highway trip used about 0.57 gallons; don't know the city distance from your post but you may have used MORE fuel on your city run seeing how much longer it took.
    Speed is the problem on the highway, but it is usually the shortest distance, and speeds are reasonably constant; loss of momentum also kills your economy, so your city route didn't gain much.

GT-I9300 ?