1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Navigation DVD does my 2009 Prius need?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by RickWall23, Jan 25, 2014.

1. RickWall23

RickWall23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm trying to get an updated navigation DVD, and I can't seem to find which version I need. It looks like the most recent update is 13.1, but I don't know which "Gen" to get. On eBay, all the Gen. 4's say 2004-2005 Prius, and Gen. 6's say 2010-2011 Prius. So I would assume I need Gen. 5, right?

None of the Gen. 5's say that their compatible with any model of the Prius though. Some of them even explicitly say they don't work with the Prius. What's the deal?

As it says in the title, I've got a 2009 Prius.

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Welcome, Rick. I'd ask the Parts Dept. at the dealership. Then when they tell you the disc costs more than a new Garmin you can decide whether or not it is worth it. Are you driving on roads that don't exist?

I run a Garmin alongside the car's. The POI seem to be from different databases. Each one has something the other doesn't. I can't say the Garmin with lifetime map upgrades is significantly better or more accurate.

3. RickWall23

RickWall23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I know the official price is outrageously high. There are some spots near me that are way off on my map.

The navigation system isn't great by any means, but it's super convenient.

4. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am 99.9% sure your 2009 is the same as my 2008 (Gen5).

The 2007 year disk for my 2008 Prius NAV is v07.1 and is U32.

U33 = 08.1 = 2008
    U34 = 09.1 = 2009
    U35 = 10.1 = 2010
    U36 = 11.1 = 2011
    U37 = 12.1 = 2012
    U38 = 13.1 = 2013

My nav system is considered DVD Generation 5.

This is a good thread on a similar subject.

The Prius seems to be the only Toyota car that will not work with a copy of the navigation DVD. Other Toyota and Lexus cars don't seem to mind them, but the Prius will reject them.

So, if the listing shows other Gen5DVD cars, but the Prius is absent, it means they are selling a DVD copy and are trying to cover their butts. That way when you buy it and then complain the copied DVD doesn't work in your Prius, they can say they never said it would work in a Prius.

5. RickWall23

RickWall23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks a lot, FreydNot. I think that answers my question then. I was sure there'd be another helpful thread somewhere - I just couldn't find it.

FreydNot likes this.
  6. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2008 Prius T Spirit (UK) - and for all intents and purposes, it is pretty much identical to the 2009.
    I recently bit the bullet and bought the latest set of Navigation DVDs for my, er, spaceship.

Yes, it did cost me an eye watering €170, and yes, you heard right - DVDs. There's actually 4 Dual Layer DVDs in the pack. I simply wanted to keep my little bit of "Futurama"* technology completely up to date and really DID want to utilise the built in SATNAV to the max. Oh yes, I am perfectly aware that I could have bought a standalone device with a 5 inch screen and lifetime maps for the same amount of money - even less if you know exactly where to look.

Yes, the aforementioned table on what discs for what year is absolutely right! My DVDs arrived with 13.1 emblazoned on them - they really are the latest. There were 4 DVDs. One for Western Europe, One for North Europe, One for East Europe and methinks the last one concentrated more on the Mediterranean area - I'm too lazy to check right now. Naturally, I'm using the DVD that covers the UK and Ireland.

Personally, I'm very impressed with my latest purchase. It does appear to have been updated well, and the POIs reflect this fact well. Also, the NAV chatterbox, (she reminds me of the Planet Express Ship's computer), has now taken to mentioning street or highway designations among other things.
    Yes, it's not in 3D styling like Garmin, or the trusty TomTom Western Europe on my iPhone - but there's something almost quaint about a Navigation system that's so different from everything else on the road, it doesn't even allow Postcode searches!!! But I do love the split screens that execute when needed, the amount of data available on that 8 inch MFD, and THAT voice. Unlike many people, I do like a car that talks to me :D. (Yes, I'm sad.....I get it)

However, I now find it more adequate than ever before, and the few places that were lacking on my older 2007 (I think) maps - are now clearly visible and can be found at last. Again, yes, this system looks almost archaic to most in existence today, but looks can be deceiving! I shall never forget the look on my face when driving to work through London for the first time ever in my Prius, the Navigation System piped up and informed me there was traffic congestion 4 miles ahead! As I got closer to the source, messages popped up on screen asking if I would like to reroute to avoid the traffic congestion!

I was totally gobsmacked! I wasn't expecting that at all :). So, I do love my all in one MFD based SATNAV system in my Prius - and I'm very pleased I actually invested in the latest Prius Navigation DVDs for my Spaceship :D.

So, that's definitely Gen5, 13.1......according to the table above. And I had to order it online - not at my local Toyota dealer.

iPad ? HD