1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which of these Prius to buy?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cooldyood, Aug 4, 2010.

1. cooldyood

cooldyood Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

I am looking to buy a used Prius and am considering the following 4 options off Criagslist. Would love your thoughts on which one looks like the best. Much appreciated!!

2005 Toyota Prius with NAV
    $8,500
    105k miles
    battery replaced
    tires will likely need to be replaced within the next 12 months

2004 Toyota Prius
    $8,000
    new tires
    07/29/09 Replace drive belt
    02/26/10 2 new front headlights
    05/18/10 4 new tires (Michelin Harmony)
    07/15/10 replaced transmission (with a transmission from a 2004 Prius w/36,000)

2004 Toyota Prius with clean fuel plates
    $7,000
    124k miles
    brakes may need to be replaced soon

2005 Toyota Prius with Package #4
    $6,999
    134k miles
    passed inspection earlier this year
    Tires are good and still have plenty thread left in them

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Impossible.

Very hard to offer an opinion. You are considering higher mileage, older Prius and with any used car there is so much you cannot know.

I have given this advice to others before, and that is to have whatever vehicle you are leaning towards inspected yourself BEFORE purchasing. If the seller is hesitant or unwilling to allow this to happen? Then forget it.

But over the internet and given just summary outlines of presented information? I'd be very, very reluctant to recommend one over the other.

If you want me to stick my neck out, I'd say marginally I'd fear the 2004 for 8 grand that has already had a drive belt replaced and a used transmission installed. It might be the best choice, but I'm always suspicious of a vehicle with too much of a history of needed repair and an owner who has invested a lot recently into a vehicle who is now giving up on it. You can look at it either way, a lot has been replaced and that's potentially good...but then why is the owner now giving it up? Or a lot has needed to be replaced and that is potentially bad.

Basicly, higher mileage and age and in the price range of $8000 or less and you are taking risks. Safest choice? Pay for an inspection, for yourself. Also, don't necessarily trust a seller that "says" it's been recently inspected. Because you don't know the total results and or why it was inspected and by whom. Get your own inspection from a place with no motive or dog in the hunt.

3. cooldyood

cooldyood Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand it's difficult to offer an opinion here. But I posed my question within the constraints that we have (online opinion, high mileage, 5-6 yr old car etc). Thanks for offering your thoughts.

Does anyone sell extended warranty for such cars? If so, is it recommended and where to buy?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would forget about an extended warranty. If available, that would be via a third-party and the value of that is close to zero.

If you are interested in that list of four, you should go around and test-drive all four and decide which one or two you are serious about. Then have the one or two inspected by a Toyota dealership, you'll probably have to pay for one or two labor hours for each inspection.

Also, I recommend that you have $3-4K available in a repair fund. All of the cars in question are high-mileage, and any of them could suffer a failure that would require a very expensive repair in the next year or two.

If the idea of spending that much for Prius repairs is unappealing, then I recommend that you look for a conventional vehicle in that price range i.e., Toyota Corolla. Good luck.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Register the VINs on the Toyota owners' website to see dealer service history. These are early Gen2 cars so you may want to consider that the 2006-2009 MY will probably have a higher res MFD & more/better standard equipment. You will also need to get a list of options on each car.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am with JimN. 2006-2009 models comes with TPMS and better interior materials as well.

If I have to choose from those 4, I would pick #1. It has the lowest mile and has a brand new battery. It also has Nav so probably very loaded.

7. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Besides all the mumbo jumbo that's going above my reply, I'd go for #1 or #2.

8. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ????????????

9. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Meaning..

#1) 2005 Toyota Prius with NAV
    $8,500
    105k miles
    battery replaced
    tires will likely need to be replaced within the next 12 months

#2) 2004 Toyota Prius
    $8,000
    new tires
    07/29/09 Replace drive belt
    02/26/10 2 new front headlights
    05/18/10 4 new tires (Michelin Harmony)
    07/15/10 replaced transmission (with a transmission from a 2004 Prius w/36,000)