1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Prius Can Actually Tow?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by MikeC787, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know much about recumbent trikes, but can't they ride on an open utility trailer? Maybe detach the seating to get that out of the weather?

In my mind that would save you about 450lbs and put you squarely in the domain of what any Prius can tow without a care in the world. Yes, Toyota still won't endorse it, but they would also never know because it isn't enough of a mechanical challenge to cause a problem in the first place.

2. MikeC787

MikeC787 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yes they can definitely ride in an open utility trailer and we have considered that. We wanted to go with the enclosed because, considering what we paid for these two we wanted to protect them from the elements, from gravel and rocks being thrown by trucks and from the eyes of those who might want to steal them. We're also needing to store them in the trailer (no room in our garage) so again felt the need for the enclosed.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Trailer-as-storage is a whole other ball of wax.

It might be worth checking this with your insurer. Trailer theft is common, and property stored in a trailer may not enjoy the coverage you think, especially when the trailer isn't hooked up to the car. The devil is in the details on this stuff.

4. MikeC787

MikeC787 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Ah, that's a good point, I'll do it. Thank you.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not really. Toyota's saying don't tow for various reasons, many of them practical, namely: you could be overtaxing the engine, transaxle.

6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you looked into featherlight trailers? They are generally lighter and have a more aerodynamic front end.

7. corystal

corystal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This looks like a good enough thread to put this info, since I don't dare start yet another one here on this subject... but, after much research, and planning... I DID IT!! I towed a trailer and my Prius didn't blow up!!

I monitored temps with Torque and everything I was watching stayed within reasonable levels based on my understanding.

Here are all the stats:
    Car: 2012 Plug-in with 73,XXX miles
    Total trailer weight: 1,085 lbs
    Total cargo (including passengers): 580 lbs
    Tongue weight: 125 lbs
    Rear tire: 45 psi
    Front tire: 42 psi
    Trailer tires: 50 psi
    Rear shock airbags: 30 psi
    One way mileage: 323 mi
    Elevation gain: 7,600
    Outside air temp: ~100º for most of the trip

My main Torque screen displayed five different Coolant temps: 7C4, 7C0, 7E2, 7E0 & just "Coolant" ... 7C0 seemed to get the highest readings. I also had MG1 & 2.

On the (notoriously) brutal hillclimb coming out of Bishop CA towards Mammoth I kept it nice and slow, and I had saved my plug-in charge to assist in the climb. The 7C0 coolant hit 210º for under a minute at the very end of the climb... and the MG1 hit 270º. These were by far the highest numbers and I'm glad that the climb was only about 8 miles.

For the most part, on relatively flat terrian the coolant stayed at around 195º and MG1 was usually around 120º with the power indicator running about halfway between EV and PWR. I reset the trip and I averaged 39MPG getting there and 41MPG overall.

So there you have it.

privilege and bisco like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great info, thanks!(y)

9. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for posting on an existing thread... Most people don't realize how rude and problematic creating new posts are compared to just adding to the most popular thread.

One question, how comfortable did you feel about the way the trailer will tend to jerk around the rear end of such a light car? Or maybe it wasn't as bad because a prime has more weight back there? I know in my Gen2 Prius when I'm hauling the amount of weight your were hauling I don't feel very comfortable at speeds over 40mph because every time the trailer hits a bump in the road it shakes the rear-end around in ways that doesn't feel like it'd be stable at freeway speeds....

10. corystal

corystal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The only time the shaking seemed like a problem was on my very most local stretch of freeway where there is a distinct bouncing because of uneven sections of road (annoying in most any car but REALLY pronounced with the trailer). This was definitely concerning and I wouldn't want to drive like that all the time, but the rest of the time I mostly didn't really feel it at all. I'm wondering if maybe you had an issue with tongue weight (should be 10 - 15% of trailer weight) or perhaps trailer levelness (should be level, angling away from the car a bit, if anything)

It might not be all that relevant but I forgot to mention I have a CURT 1 1/4" Class 1 hitch with a 1 7/8" ball

privilege likes this.
  11. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    apparently towing a small trailer and dirt bike at 80 mph will kill the mpg in a hurry.... but man is it nice to have a 30+mpg camper !

12. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I assume it weighed 3k lbs total. Who says Prius can't tow

Attached Files:

corystal likes this.
  13. corystal

corystal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ya... if weren't for the hillclimbs, 1100lbs was a breeze. I could barely feel it, even braking was no sweat.

Attached Files:

14. Bosco‘s mom

Bosco‘s mom New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I have a two year old 2021 Prius LE. I have been looking at a larger vehicle to pull a small (1200 lb) travel trailer. My brother sent me a couple of websites that state that a 21 Prius can tow up to 1598 lbs. I would love to be able to do this with my current vehicle. I love my Prius and it still seems brand new to me. Any thoughts?

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can you give us the websites?

16. 9001MPG

9001MPG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My vehicle is the Toyota Fielder 2013, same engine (1NZ-FXE) as the Prius C with a measly 74 horsepower .. so I'm effectively towing with a prius C on a heavier chassis.

Been moving bits of furniture with a single axle trailer with a cage on it - it does it all no worries, but I do take it easy as it's not very quick. Can't see any reason why this would be a problem when accererating and keeping RPMs below 2000. Certainly would not attempt any serious load on it and a hill climb. It struggles enough on hill climbs with a bit of camping gear in it and no trailer!