1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Prius feature do you use the least?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by paulisme, Apr 8, 2004.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a (blue) #7. Thus I don't have NAV, Homelink, or Bluetooth. I have a cell phone for emergencies only, so would have no use for Bluetooth, even if it worked with a Verizon phone.* I thought Homelink would be cool, until I realized that I need to take the garage-door remote with me anyway, to open the door on my way from the apartment, and close it more easily with armloads of groceries. NAV would be useful on those EXTREMELY rare occasions when I visit a strange city. But it didn't seem worth the extra $2,000. Fargo is so small it's not needed here. Ever.

I have never had occasion to use the fog lamps, and I would rather have regular headlights than HID lamps, but I really really wanted VSC, which I HAVE (inadvertently) used several times.

SS/SE is not by any means a necessity, but it is super-cool and I'm really glad I have it.

B mode does not get used here. Fargo is flatter than Kansas. The KPH button will get used when I visit Canada.

I never knew there was a maintenance screen. Is that just on the #9? Or have I just never noticed it?

*Verizon is the only cell phone company that would sell me service. All the others refused me because I have no credit history. I never borrow money. If I cannot pay for something, I do without. When I buy a new car I begin immediately saving up for my next car. By the time I need a new car I have the money. That way I'm collecting interest instead of paying it. Zero debt means much less stress. It also means they won't sell you a cell phone!

I guess the least-used item on my car is the gas cap.

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bada-BOOM! :_>

3. riskable

riskable Junior Member

I've only had my car a few days, but I'd say my least used feature so far is the hidden drawer under the center armrest. I've no idea what to put in there. I know someone recommended a tissue box, maybe I'll give that a try.

I also don't use the power outlet inside the center console. I know it is probably designed for cell phone chargers, but my phone literally lasts for like two weeks before I need to recharge it. I'm at the point where if I go away for a long weekend I don't bother to bring my charger and I leave my phone on the whole time (Nokia 3650 if you're wondering).

Hopefully over a few years the spare tire will become my least used feature.

4. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Fog lamps. With the HID headlamps, they just don't seem necessary, though I have tried them in blinding snow and they made a very small difference.
    The SS/SE feature is the one I like the best. It is so convenient when the weather is bad or you have your hands full of packages not to have to fumble for a key.

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Or the emergency flashlight/emergency flasher or the portable air pump or the battery charger for your NiMH camera or CDplayer batteries or to run your small refrigerator for those long trips :)

6. riskable

riskable Junior Member

Nahh, I use the one in the dash for those things.

7. oxnardprof

oxnardprof Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have only had the car for seven days, and not even one tank of gas yet. (45 mpg so far).

I don't have a cell phone, so bluetooth is not useful.

I haven't figured out the NAV (but I did try it once to show my wife where the dermatologists office is). I would appreciate a handy guide to the NAV, as it takes some work to learn, I think.

I love the SS/SE and like the homelink.

I ended up with a Silver #9 because my dealer was only getting fully loaded vehicles. They haven't gotten anything but nines for some time.

Anyway, I am happy even with too much guidance.

8. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    this is an interesting thread.

i have removed the seats, i find them a little uncomfortable, and have installed a park bench.

the steering wheel is a bit too small and doesn't telescope so i've removed it also, and am using a rudder.

otherwise, the car is perfect. tho, shouldn't it have come with 4 wheels?

9. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    center console works great for a flashlight. Put a nice rag in with it to keep it from rattling, and the rag will be handy for wiping off the dashboard or catching spills.

10. Batavier

Batavier Member

I haven't used any of the features of my Prius. Still waiting for it to arrive.

Unfortunately mine will not have NAV or SS/SE or Bluetooth. I could choose between a 'standard' Prius or the 'Business Edition' with NAV, SS/SE, Bluetooth. But that would have cost me EUR4000 ($4800), a bit much for these cool and nifty features. I don't like it, but like paulisme said: beggers can't be choosers. :)

Bob you *did* use those rocket launchers, right?

11. riskable

riskable Junior Member

I have two flashlights in the car... A general purpose flashlight in the trunk and a big Mag light in the driver's map pocket... It fits *perfectly* in that little pocket. Just put the end where the light is in the bottle holder part.

12. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I loved the rocket launcher option, but decided it compromised the "low emmisions claim", so ordered one with water ballon launchers instead.

As to the ejector seat, will wait for Toyota to make a convertible Prius first.

13. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I wanted the Water Baloon Launcher option, but since I live in Washington DC and our water contains unacceptable Lead Levels, it was not allowed by the EPA.

14. rflagg

rflagg Member

Don't worry Tempus, you might get them as an after-dealer add on! The DC firefighters are looking to reverse this ruling by the EPA since it seems the guy they have in custody isn't the serial arsonist, so they are asking for help from motorists who are lucky enough to have the option of the WB Launcher for their cars!

:)

-m.

15. paulisme

paulisme New Member

Isn't costaletech.com coming out with 3rd-party water baloon launchers? I think it's supposed to interface with the MFD as well.

16. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    1. Homelink - no garage door to open! but autodimming is great!

2. Fog lights - not as bright/white as the HID, just for show i guess :p

3. B shift - not enough downhills on my routes

4. Cassette player - burned my favorite cassettes into cds!

5. Rear hidden storage - hmm, i could buy a laptop :wink:

6. Door bottle holder

17. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

The problem with SS/SE is, now that I'm getting used to it, I'm starting to begrudge the absolute inconvenience of my house and mailbox keys.

18. riskable

riskable Junior Member

I've been searching for something similar for house doors/keys, but have yet to come up with anything. The closest thing so far is biometric, which still takes a while to unlock.

I've heard of houselocks that work with homelink (which is interesting to say the least). I think there's a big potential market here!

19. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Works with the rear camera feature. Adds a crosshair to the screen, to use with tailgaters.

...Reminds me of the old Bill Cosby 500 MPH routine, when he delighted to discover a fire extinguisher mounted inside his new super-duper sports car, built by Carol Shelby. "This is great -- if I'm driving around and see somebody's house on fire, I just stop and FWOOOSH! put it out. `Oh thank you so much!'" :lol: