1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which replacement AC condenser to buy (compatible?)

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Howard c, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Howard c

Howard c Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    So I am planning to buy a AC condenser to replace my current one (have a local shop replace it) on ebay or amazon but there are SO many different model parts and I'm abit confused. For example these seem like they should work:

http://amzn.to/2fWGpSR <-- this seems to indicate that all CT200h would be compatible with prius v's? but the below seems to indicate otherwise...
    http://amzn.to/2xg8Dvp
    http://amzn.to/2uVCRqV

Also do all of these come with a "built in drier" ? I noticed some say that but some don't, I dont know if it's a standard thing.

thanks!

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This sounds like a VERY bad plan to me.

The installing shop will NOT be responsible if the part doesn't fit or doesn't work.
    The selling dealer will NOT take it back after it has been installed once.

YOU will be bearing the ENTIRE BURDEN of this coming off right......and if it doesn't, both "suppliers" will point the finger at the other.

I think it is HIGHLY LIKELY that this will turn out very bad for you.
    It would be much better to have a qualified shop do the WHOLE job......even if it costs you an extra couple of hundred bucks.

How do you know positively that the condenser is bad ? Does it have a leak ??

3. Howard c

Howard c Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    yes. i brought it to the shop and they said the condenser needs to be replaced.

the thing is they quoted $800 all in, where as the part costs $60 in US for me to pickup + $160 for someone to install.

it's a pretty big difference.

4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes and it is a HUGE gamble.
    It might end up costing you MORE than $800 in the end.

Is this the same shop quoting you the two prices ??

Maybe you need a second diagnosis and job quote from a different shop before you decide what to do. Unless it is leaking, it is quite unusual for a condenser to go bad.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can get the right condenser (including receiver/dryer) from a Toyota dealer for about $222. If you know a shop willing to install it for $160 then you're at $382 all in, with the correct Toyota part. Too much?

-Chap