1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Screen To you use as the Default ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by macreative, Sep 18, 2004.

?
  1. Navigation Display

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Energy Display Consortium

100.0%
  3. Other....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. krooster1234

krooster1234 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paprius4030\";p=\"43288)</div>
    Yeah that's true... but I am listening almost exclusively to news channels when I drive :mrgreen:

2. GrokMakeFire

GrokMakeFire New Member

Consumption is my default screen, but the energy display is a great choice for Washington DC beltway jam-ups. It's kind of like a video game in which you try to maneuver by using the least possible fossil fuel, while simultaneously on a larger 360-degree VR screen, you must avoid manifold dangers introduced randomly by the big AI...

3. rdverb

rdverb New Member

After 5K miles, I don't watch the consumption and mode screens so much any more ... it becomes a seat of the pants thing. NAV is useful for us older folks so we remember where we are ... it's usually a good clue as to where we're going and where we've come from. It's also much friendlier on the eyes at night since it goes into reverse video automatically.

I don't use the voice guidance ... it's worse than a back seat driver.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've had my Prius for almost a month now. In the daytime, Consumption. For night driving, after fiddling with Brightness to no avail, I simply turn it OFF. All I need is to nail a deer or a moose at night while distracted by the display, which still tends to grab all my attention.

Why didn't Toyota put LCD's on the front seat headrests, to entertain the rear seat passengers?

5. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have a question: each time I power up, the MFD displays the Consumption screen. I would prefer that it started with the Climate screen instead since Climate is probably what my wife will need when she drives it.

The Owner's Manual seems to say that it's supposed to go back to the screen I left it on, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

This is a non-Nav Prius (2005 AM), if that makes a difference.

Thanks a bunch!

6. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There's an option that toggles whether when you choose Audio or Climate if it automatically defaults back to whatever screen you were on (engergy/consumption/nav) or if it stays on the audio/climate screen until you manually switch away. It sounds like you have it set to switch back (this is the factory preset I think) and you want it not to switch back. I can't remember where this option is exactly, but start pressing buttons and you'll find it :D. I can probably be more help when I go back to my car.

I think in the manual where it says "it's supposed to go back to the screen you left it on" it is referring to the engery/consumption screen (assuming that if you chose audio or climate, you only want that up temporarily).

7. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the info. I have seen the option that prevents it from switching out of Audio or Climate while the display is on. That's not what I'm asking about. I am interested in making the Climate screen appear when I power up the car.

My Owner's Manual says (on page 147):

[font=Courier New:0b6a38308f]When the "ACC" mode is enabled, the initial screen appears and the system begins operating.

After a few seconds, the previous mode display will appear.

If the electrical power source has been disconnected from the multi-information display, the display will be automatically set to the initial mode.
    [/font:0b6a38308f]

It's rather vague but it sounds like it should show the Climate screen when it powers up if I turned it off that way. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    deh2k, you're not paying attention. The point is that you may need to switch off the 'auto switching' mode in order to have the screen come up on climate when you shut the car off in climate. The problem is probably that you're in auto-switching mode and it's switching back to the consumption screen or whatever before you see the climate screen.

It's a good theory to test out anyway.

9. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oh, but I am paying attemtion. Auto switching is off. O F F. The Climate screen stays on for as long as I want, until I power down the car. Then the MFD always starts up with the Consumption screen.

If this is the way it's supposed to work, then so be it. But the owner's manual and discussions here about default screen make me suspect otherwise.

10. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hm, I have no idea then. I thought like Evan did, if you had auto-switching on, it was switching it for you when you turned off the car. I know when I power down in Nav, Nav is what comes up when I power up again. I'm not sure about audio or climate (I have auto-switching off), but tell you what, I'm going to run an errand when I leave work and I'll try powering down the car in climate and see what screen comes up when I power up.

11. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Okay, deh2k, good news and bad news.

Good news: you're right. Even if you have auto-switching off, if you power down in climate, it comes back up in consumption. I have no idea if there's a way to change this.

Bad news: I guess you'll have to teach your wife how to use the climate button :D. Or the buttons on the wheel.

12. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for checking it out. I expect that she can cope.

The owner's manural is really lousy. Someone should write a Prius For Dummies book that describes how the car works in English.

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

It may be that the way the MFD functions has changed with later software updates as the consumption/energy toggle has, but the owner's manual hasn't been updated on this seemingly minor point.

14. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    About 40% NAV - 60% ENERGY. The Energy display helps me develop better driving habits to save fuel.

-Charles Suitt- Dallas TEXAS

15. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I generally leave mine on the Consumption screen except when I get into very heavy stop and go traffic when I switch to the Energy screen to check the SOC of the battery.

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can I ask why you do that? Not so much that you swith to energy screen, but what point is there in watching the SOC of the battery?

17. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    While in stop and go traffic, it's something to do while checking out the other drivers (and guess when the ICE is going to cut on while waiting to move at a snails pace on Wisconsin Ave past NIH in Bethesda, MD) :)

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :lol:
    So it's for entertainment value.
    Do you like bright shiny objects too?! :p :p :p

19. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    lol, doc...

20. cmcc

cmcc Junior Member

Default display

OFF. I don't have the Nav system; I've seen too many errors in the database to trust it. The Energy screen is way too distracting. We're supposed to be watching the road, not the car's little TV. This is the part of the car I actually hate. I can't set the climate control (air flow) without looking away from the road.