1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Spark Plugs?! Denso SC20HR11, SC16HR11, or IXEH20TT??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by HaiImBrian, Jul 11, 2018.

?
  1. Denso SC20HR11 (Original in manual)

40.6%
  2. Denso SC16HR11 (New hotter plugs that Toyota superseded original plugs)

34.4%
  3. Denso IXEH20TT (Brand new tech offered by Denso)

25.0%
  1. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I believe IXEH20TT is the updatef sparkplugs design that the 4th gen Prius use and actually compatible too.

I probably will use IXEH20TT from the fact it is Iridium with platinum ground and still have similar lifespan 120k miles. It makes sense and actually better and cheaper because it has smaller iridium tip.

2. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Seems to me that Denso is promoting the IXEH20TT for "performance" and the SC16HR11 for longer life.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's generally the tradeoff; the performance upgrade plug, if the stock plug with its wider electrode is having difficulty igniting your mixture, or otherwise use the SC plug made for OE, as the wider electrode will last longer.

You can look at a number the car's ECM computes for you, called the misfire margin, to find out if there's any reason to think your current plugs are having any difficulty igniting your mixture.