1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which stand alone GPS model do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by Salamander_King, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On my recent trip, I used Scout GPS app that is integrated to my 2020 PP LE display. The quick conclusion, the app is a garbage. It requires phone data to be on and has to be connected to USB port in order to show the turn-by-turn map on the screen. The first destination I put in, the Scout GPS took me to a wrong destination, I had to call the shop and found out I was on the other side of town. G-map took me to the correct destination. The voice direction of the Scout GPS has a strong machine accent that I could not understand what it was saying. Second day when I tried using it, the Entune had to go through the update, and Scout GPS never finished loading on the car screen, although phone app was working OK. I then just used G-map on my phone as my sole GPS which worked fine.

Only thing was that I did not have phone holder, and my Android phone has pay-as-you-go SIM that cost me 6 cents a MB of cellular data. So, using a phone as sole GPS in the car is not very practical. Also, for many of my local areas, phone signal can get very patchy.

I don't have much need for NAV on my daily drive and especially with COVID-19 restriction and limited traveling I am doing nowadays, GPS is not the very important feature. But when I do have to go somewhere I have never been to, it quickly becomes an essential. We do have Garmin nuvi 5" GPS that is being used on our other car, but I think I will be getting separate one for my PRIME.

Any suggestion on new Garmin GPS models and a holder set-up on LE model?

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    No experience with the apps/interface since I only use them as a standalone so my only recommendation is about getting one that has a built in front camera; lot more bang for the buck. They're called the Drive series in the garmin lineup.

Salamander_King likes this.
  3. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I haven't done much readings on the current line-ups of Garmin or other GPS navi units yet, but I am sure there are new models with a lot of new functionalities. But all I need is a basic map with clear voice direction with free map update. Yeah, the last update to 5"Garmin nuvi was probably close to 10 years ago, and that one still works much better than any of phone based apps such as G-map, Waze, or ScoutGPS or the in-car OEM GPS system I have used so far (both Toyota and Nissan). I don't think I need an integrated front camera in the GPS. I won't be keeping it on all the time. My use case is only once in a while (maybe be a few times a year) for the GPS needs only. I actually have a dash cam that I bought a few years back but never got to installing it.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I really like the Garmin, too. Mine is several years old, but it's easier to read than google maps or apple maps. It doesn't have traffic, but if we're on a long trip where it's worth using the Garmin, my wife will typically also be running gmaps on her phone so we have the traffic info, too. Mine is also a Nuvi 5". Sometime I think I'd like one of the 7" ones, but otherwise I have no complaints. We'll be using it this week on the trip to Ohio. Don't really need it for that part, but will want it for the return trip since we'll be venturing into territory we haven't traveled in many years.

5. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked the one we have in our Pathfinder. It was 6" nuvi 2699LMTHD instead of 5" I thought it was. It has traffic info, bluetooth calling, voice activated commands, thousands of POI info. But to my experience it has been somewhat inaccurate or very slow traffic info. It usually tells me that there is a traffic delay after we are already stuck in it. But overall, it is a fantastic unit. Easy to use and the voice prompt is very clear to understand. Also the active lane guidance with voice prompt that shows bird's eye junction view in a split screen is a valuable tool to navigate very complex interchanges in unfamiliar locations. But the model is discontinued now. I am hoping a current basic one from Garmin will have similar functionality and quality as this old nuvi, but I am not sure.

#5 Salamander_King, Oct 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    jerrymildred likes this.
  6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just checked Garmin site. It seems for car GPS, there aren't too many choices. Any one of them will be fine and includes lifetime map and traffic information update, but if I want the voice command then DriveSmart is better. DriveSmart also have WiFi connectivity, so the map and software updates are easier. No need to install program on my laptop and connect. I don't need it now, I think I will just watch for sale. I am sure by the end of year, I should be able to buy 5" DriveSmart for less than $200 or 7" DriveSmart for less than $250.

upload_2020-10-5_15-27-5.png

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did some checking a few weeks ago thinking I might want to upgrade. It seemed that whatever I found that was in my price range wasn't much of an upgrade other than getting a bigger display.

8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, depending on where you look, there seems to be many more models of Garmin GPS for sale. They must be discontinued older models. But at Garmin site there are really only three models currently sold. Drive 52, DriveSmart55, and DriveSmart65. Drive52 come with ($169) or without traffic ($149), but only $20 difference, so it's no brainer which is better buy. Then for DriveSmart either 55 (5") or 65 (7") and with backup camera or with Alexa are the only difference. I don't need backup camera nor Alexa. So base DriveSmart55 or 65 will do. If I want voice command and higher res, better responsive touch screen and WiFi, then it must be DriveSmart. If I can get a DriveSmart 55 (5" regularly sold at $229) for around $150, then that's what I will buy. Or if I can find DriveSmart 65 (7" regularly sold at $269) for below $200, then I may just take that option. On the other hand, if I see refub or used one or older models at bargain price of less than $100, I will likely to pick it over the newest models. One good thing is that with Garmin, even second hand unit can get lifetime free map update.

#8 Salamander_King, Oct 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    Mendel Leisk and jerrymildred like this.
  9. mrchowmein

mrchowmein Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    If you want an app, get the android app "Here". It was the GPS nav app from Nokia and its free. You can download the regions when you have wifi and use it 100% offline. You do need about a few gb free if you plan to download a couple states to an entire country.

10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, but no I do not want to use phone based GPS app. I have used Here before, for my still in use everyday phone is Nokia Windows phone. I also have Android phone, but as I said in my previous comment, I don't use data plan on my phone. And looking at small screen on the phone is rather difficult task for me. I'd much rather have 7" dedicated display on the dash.

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Big display is a real help. Also, it seems like the phone app developers don't understand how important contrast is. They put in all kinds of features, but then to have to take the phone out of the holder and get it up close to see the tiny pale green text on the not-as-pale green background.

12. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I hope Garmins have improved since the one that we got many years ago. I updated the maps before a long trip a few years back, and it sometimes told me to take the ... fork at a spot where there was no intersection, sometimes showed me driving in the middle of a cornfield when I was actually on the highway, and sometimes seemed to show the car pointing in a direction different from that in which it was actually shown to be traveling -- "crabwise."

Salamander_King and jerrymildred like this.
  13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I feel your pain. I think that every GPS I've had has tried to send me off on bunny trails. Common sense may be getting increasingly rare, but it's still necessary. A while back, I read about two women who almost died in Death Valley by following their GPS out into the desert and running out of gas there.

14. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, our Garmin has given us some funny directions from time to time, but it has improved it's accuracy and usability when we upgraded to the current model 6" nuvi 2699LMTHD unit. I only have used Garmin in the past, but comparing to recent Toyota and Nissan OEM navigation system, Garmin offered far better directions, and comparing to phone apps like G-map or Waze, Garmin has much easier in car user interface and usability for our use cases.

I just found Garmin outlet store. There the refub DriveSmart65 (7" model) is at $159.95. If I go with older Garmin DriveSmart 61LMT-S model refub is only $129.95. I don't know the difference between 61 and 65 to make the $30 difference? Anyone care to explain the difference in those two models?

#14 Salamander_King, Oct 6, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  15. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would if I could. But I don't see anything of note. I did text the link for the cheaper one to my wife to see if she's interested. Wouldn't have it for the start of our trip, but we could get it shipped to her mom's house and have it the rest of the way.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm partial to TomTom units. I have a TomTom ONE New Edition from way back. Still use it from time to time if I'm in a rental in the US (no US data for my phone)

Toyota switched to "Here" maps for their latest infotainment systems.

17. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From doing some online search, I found this information in gps forum https://www.gpscity.com/questions?qid=77195

• The Garmin DriveSmart 65LMT has a built in Traffic Receiver in the GPS.
    • The DriveSmart 61 LMT-S would require a Smart Phone with the Garmin Smart Phone Link App in order to receive Traffic.

I can't confirm it, but if this is true, then $30 more for the DS65 is worth to me, since I have no intention of using phone App link and phone data connection to get the traffic info.

I also found in different review page stating that 65 can show 3-D Buildings and terrain whereas 61 can not.

#17 Salamander_King, Oct 6, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    jerrymildred likes this.
  18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I found the refub DriveSmart65 from Amazon $20 cheaper than Garmin outlet price.

jerrymildred likes this.
  19. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We bought a Garmin Drivesmart 61 refurb from Ebay. It came yesterday. It seems a little fussy to set up and it's also fussy about the cable. You need to download a phone app to make traffic work with Mildred's car. It seems that it gets its info from a phone or from the car, if the car itself has traffic info. It doesn't have that ability on its own. Lots more privacy considerations than with the Nuvi as a result.

It works well with the included 12V power cable. The USB cable it came with is only about two feet long, so useless in the car. I tried a longer USB cable and it said it couldn't charge with that cable. It might be that the USB hub I plugged into couldn't supply enough current. I ordered a 12V power splitter that's going to let us use the 12V adapters for the GPS, the dash cam, and the USB hub for the phones.

I'm still setting up functions and so on, but in playing with it, so far, I see stuff I like a LOT better than our old 5" Nuvi. For one, the touch screen is WAY more responsive. Also, the big, crisp display is super easy to read. The old one wasn't bad, but this is quite an improvement. It also boots up and finds satellites quicker. All in all, I think we'll like it. We have a one hour each way trip today, so that should help us fine tune it.

20. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the review. Yeah, from what I read, older DriveSmart 61 uses the real-time traffic info off from the phone app linked to it. The newer DriveSmart 65 has a builtin traffic receiver in the GPS unit itself in addition to the app on the phone. That difference alone is worth $10 more for the DriveSmart65 if I decide to purchase one. I am not exactly sure how it works, but some Garmin traffic receivers are in the 12v power cord. I think my current Nuvi has such a set-up for HD traffic. When I upgraded the previous Nuvi to the current one, the 12v power cords were not interchangeable.

jerrymildred likes this.