1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Tires get absolute BEST MPG on Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by auart, May 18, 2008.

1. freshspeedo

freshspeedo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a prius 2007 and base model

I have the goodyear integrity's p185/65/r15

My friend wants to sell me his Toyota Yaris 2008 tires
    which are P185/60/r15. Goodyear LS I believe they are.
    whatever the Yaris stock tires are.

Will these be okay on my Prius

Or should I stick with the original P185/65/r15 tire size?

Am I going to get wrong readings on the speedometer or worse gas mileage?

My original tires are pretty worn out.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

thanks

2. HOV

HOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a 2007 Prius and just replaced the original Goodyears with Michelin X's from Costco. I am running 42psi. My mileage immediately dropped off by almost 5 MPG and has been consistent through 3 tanks of gas. Any suggestions?

3. dominicsavio

dominicsavio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My tires are Bridgestone 185/65R15 (88H). Manufacturer spec is 44 psi max. These are OEM. I still have enough tread on them so the most I can do is optimal inflation (= sensible overinflation). How high do you folks normally go for front/rear psi? I've seen numbers all over the place so am a bit confused.

4. sandman

sandman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Always put two more pounds in front tires.. I run 50(front)and 48(rear).. In your case I would run at least 44(front)/42(rear)..

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Dominic,

Don't go over the sidewall MAX cold rating! This is a safety issue.

I run my tires at 42/40 PSI even though the Nokian WRs have a 51 MAX rating (the original Goodyear Integrity and Michelin MXV4+ had MAX ratings of 44). Higher pressure does improve MPG a bit. It also tend to make your ride a bit harsher. In tires with soft sidewalls (like the GY Integrity) it improves tracking stability and reduces scrubbing of sidewall edges in turns.

On the original topic, I now have 38,500 miles on my Nokian WRs and over the first 12 months they easily bested the GY Integrity MPG by 4% (and the Michelin MXV4+ by 3.5%) with most of the improvement coming in cold weather. Nokian tech support says that the WRg2 has "the same low rolling resistance as the WR" so that is also an option. Attached is an updated spreadsheet with my 4.5 years and 138,000 miles of data (3 sets of tires).

JeffD

Attached Files:

6. dominicsavio

dominicsavio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sandman,
    Which tires do you have and what are the manufacturer specs? I'm wondering if people go above this spec...

7. Haldan

Haldan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yokohama Avid TRZ came with the car (24000 miles). I live in Ontario and these tires have gotten me through the worst that winter can send. 185/65R15 is the size.

8. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    i got hydroedges, inflated to 50-48. i also made the mistake of getting a slightly wider size tire which initially hurt my mileage. not after the break in, and higher inflation, my mileage is back up. Plus, they are great in the wet and snow.

9. dominicsavio

dominicsavio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wanted to get my Bridgestone Potenza OEM (185/65R15 88H) inflated to 46/44 or even 44/42 but Costco would not even touch it (the manufacturer spec is 44) citing "liability" and "safety issues"

I find this quite ridiculous, especially if I am within the max spec of 44. Anyone experienced this or have any thoughts?

10. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    You should try to get Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tires or your MPG will suffer
    The smaller tires will make your speedo, odo and MPG readings all increase (not real) due to needing more revolutions/mile.
    I like Nokian tires as several of their models get great MPG. If you live in snow country get the Nokian WRg2.

JeffD

11. sandman

sandman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have the the original Goodyear Integrity's with 28,000 miles on them and love them so far, still a lot of tread on them.. I have rotated them every 10,000 miles.. The sidewall says 44psi max.. I know guys who run close to 70psi in them, but 50psi was the most I felt comfortable putting in them, you get over 50psi and the ride becomes much rougher....I do think they wear much better when you up the psi and the car handles much better..We had 4 inches of snow about two weeks ago and they done great.. I was really worried after reading all the horror stories on how bad they preformed in the snow..

12. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I had my Costco tires put on, I asked them to fill it to the max sidewall pressure (not the recommended pressure). The tech looked at me funny and wanted to verify that is what I asked him to do. He reminded me that they wouldn't wear evenly, but they did fill them up (almost to max psi on the tire). I finished the job at home with my bike pump.

Costco won't put different size tires on your car and won't fill above the max PSI. We can thank people who litigate at the drop of a hat and more lawyers than you can shake a stick at for assisting with this "we don't want to be held liable" decision.

13. dominicsavio

dominicsavio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Codyroo you are lucky. In my case, Costco would not go above 35 (not even upto the manufacturer max spec of 44/42) - and I have 4 OEMs (equal in tread). I hate this "disclaimer - shrugging off" attitude - it just DOES not make sense!!

14. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Eh, I just got my own air pump and set the tires to what I want (42/40 in my case).

For what its worth, I didn't see a significant change in MPG after putting Michelin X radials on.

15. Brian Jacobs

Brian Jacobs New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I called Michelin and they said the HydroEdge would allow the car to get better gas mileage than the Michelin X.

16. uclabruins

uclabruins Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone else try the Yokohama Avid TRZ? Mileage?

17. eldiee

eldiee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Go to consumers reports and check the LRR(low rolling resistance) of the Michelin X. We found them to be at least as good for mpg as the Goodyear's and far superior in handling. No comparison for wet roads. Also seem to be quiet. It took maybe a 1000 miles to get broke in to match or exceed the orginal Goodyears.

18. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This page has a lot of technical info about this impressive tire. We saw it with the prototype 2010 Prius in Detroit.

They tested braking distance on wet surface in Prius using 195/65R/15 (not stock size). It took only 110 ft. from 50-0 mph.

They make 3 sizes targeted for the Iconic and 2010 Prius.

195/55R16 - Iconic Touring Edition
    185/65R15 - Iconic Standard
    195/65R15 - 2010 Prius with 15"

Found this release video with Prius in the background.

20. brois

brois New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :cheer2:YEAa YOU KNOW OH OH OH U KNOW HE TIRE BIEACH I DE BEST!!!