1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which to replace, master cylinder or pump?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Seymour1, Apr 1, 2024.

1. Seymour1

Seymour1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I read a message where someone asked a few different Toyota mechanics about replacing brake parts. Some said they would not do the job without replacing both the master cylinder and the pump while other said that it was a waste of money to replace both and would only replace the ?????? -(I cannot remember which). And I have searched for that thread and cannot find it. Do you know where I can find it?
    I understand that the pump runs too often because of 1) the master cylinder leaks pressure and the pump must run to maintain the proper pressure or 2) the pump is wearing out or is faulty and runs too often to maintain the proper pressure. As costly as these parts are, it seems that somebody could test the pump for the correct PSI (with a pressure gauge) or could test the master cylinder for a leak. (leak-down test) How complicated can that be?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No it's not the master cylinder leaking pressure You have to look at this a different way It is the accumulator which is a little storage tank that holds brake fluid under pretty intense pressure and then when you step on the brake the valves that open up in the brake actuator in my car whatever it's called in the generation 3 whatever when that is called for then the fluid moves under the pressure from the accumulator through the valves because you push the pedal and a bunch of other things go on to happen like the car stops or slows through four-wheel disc brakes in your case I believe the part that most technicians would bet on is the one that has all the electronics most of the plugs and all that sort of thing which might be a good bet but the other part can also be involved in the mix and now you're going to pay two times labor for some guy to say well I don't do that it's a waste of money yeah until I come along pay you to do the part with the accumulator on it don't do the other part you go to bleed the brakes or what have you and find out that in fact I do need the other part now I have to pay the labor over again possibly just depends on who you're dealing with so you need to source this out very well. A mechanic stethoscope will go a long way and knowing how to use it and getting the car in a quiet place where you can listen carefully but I don't know where the thread is I imagine it's here somewhere and I imagine it's on YouTube and quite a few videos I have seen the car guy the foreigner that does all the Toyota work has discussed this before too I do believe so there's plenty of information out there that you can probably use but for your individual situation the mechanic stethoscope and careful diagnostics and paying attention may yield you a decent outcome.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In gen 3 it's called the master cylinder. :) They changed how all the parts are combined into assemblies, so this one thing on top is all of (the booster, the master cylinder, the actuator, and the ECU) together, and it can be called all of those things.

The thing on the bottom is just the accumulator and the pump.

[​IMG]

What you're used to in gen 2 is different; in gen 2 the accumulator and pump were combined with the actuator, but the master cylinder was separate.

4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Depending on how long you wait to replace it, if the master cylinder is leaking,
    and the pump has to run and run and run to keep up, it will wear out the pump faster
    To replace ONLY the master cylinder, and not the pump, is a short time you'll have
    problems with the pump failing and try to blame the Toyota dealership for it.
    That is one reason they will only replace as a pair. And my personal opinion is this is
    the correct and smarted methode. Yes, it cost more, but if your brakes fail, and they will,
    what will that cost you?
    And, will either place do a correct dianoses and figure out WHERE the leak is? It may
    just be the pump. But the situation is still the same.

But, depending on your finances... if you only have enough to do the master cylinder, that's what you do.
    But it will cost even more if/when the pump goes out.

If they replace both, you have peace of mind. If either fails, they are responsible.

5. Seymour1

Seymour1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I listened through a 2 foot long hollow thin-walled pipe (maybe from old broom handle) and the hissing was louder when it was placed on the booster pump than when it was placed on the master cylinder. I will listen again to be sure. Maybe after I remove some tanks and hoses in the way, I can get closer and hear better if I can still apply power. I can place my laptop microphone close to the pump. I will look some more for my misplaced stethascope.

PopCorkOff likes this.
  6. PopCorkOff

PopCorkOff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello! Have you succeeded in repairing your brakes system ? I replaced my booster pump/accumulator assembly because it was running every 13 seconds. Next I bled the master cylinder [m/c] using the bleeder valve on top of the m/c and then I bled all 4 wheel cylinders. Now I still have air in the m/c. I down loaded Toyota Techstream to my laptop. Now, were you able to bleed your m/c using Techstream ? My booster pump still seems to run too much.

7. PopCorkOff

PopCorkOff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I hope to learn how to bleed the master cylinder [m/c] using Techstream - soon ![/QUOTE]

8. Seymour1

Seymour1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a laptop and need whatever else to do the brakes. I found this on ebay ($26.99) 2024 MINI VCI TIS Techstream V18.00.008 TIS J2534 For Toyota Inspection Cable US. It includes a cable and a CD. The cable plugs into the OBD2 port and into the USB on my laptop. They call the CD the driver. That is not the Techstream S/W. A different ebay seller sells ($7) Toyota Techstream Software V18.00.008 Newest Version but it must come from Japan. I am confused that both ebay sellers list V18.00.008, which seems to me to be the software.
    I will replace only the master cylinder (actuator) as a first guess. If that does not fix it, then I will replace the booster pump (accumulator). I am retired and have more time than money. I am currently cleaning the EGR valve, cooler, and intake manifold. I found that my A C does not work. I will deal with that later.
    Any suggestions for the best price to buy the master cylinder?
    Thanks in advance for help.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Has your $26.99 thingie arrived yet, and have you looked in the CD and are you sure Techstream isn't there?

10. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You must be a spry 80 year old to take on this job. Short of changing the head gasket, this is one of the more difficult jobs primarily due to access and secondarily due to the maze of brake lines, cables and associated devices.

Proper bleeding and calibrations require Techstream or other high end scanner.

2010 had a run of defective pumps as well as master cylinder replacements. As a result many pros want to go in once and get it right. The prices of the parts have come down once Toyota’s free replacement program expired for most gen3s.

Buying from Toyota is the only good option; some used suppliers will ship the wrong part number because they all look the same on gen3s but they differ by year, wheel size, hatchback vs v wagon etc.

Buying from an online Toyota dealer often gets you the mechanics price.
    IMG_4819.jpeg

Notice this master cylinder is for a 2010 hatchback with 15” wheels.
    Toyota 2010-2011 Toyota Prius Brake Master Cylinder 47050-47140 | Toyota Parts

The Pump Assembly is more generic, costs about the same and is Toyota 2010-2018 Toyota Pump Assembly, Brake Booster 47070-47060 | Toyota Parts

Always verify parts by supplying vin to dealer before purchase. Sometimes this can be done online.

#10 rjparker, Apr 19, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
  11. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Chinese made hardwired Techstream interfaces (mini-vci) have been around for years and include a version of Techstream which has been hacked to operate without a Toyota subscription.

The supplied cd version of Techstream is usually older so the vendor instructs you to download the latest hacked version. Which may be necessary if your PC laptop does not have a cd reader.

Many people have problems installing it. It requires a registry hack which is manually initiated by an included utility. However the instructions are worse than poor so the vendor suggests you find some YouTube video for help.

Assuming you get it running, you are told “do not operate Techstream while online! It may break!” It may be disabled by Toyota since they did not authorize these guys. So many otherwise “honest” users install it on an old laptop with disabled internet.

Plus there is a learning curve to use Techstream and there are no user instructions provided. So it can be trial and error to install and use.

Finally one of the more elaborate uses is the Techstream Brake system bleeding and calibration. I think it would be easier all around to let a pro do this step even if it was $150.

If it came with a mechanic like their ad shows…
    IMG_4821.jpeg

Instead you get these cautions

IMG_4823.jpeg IMG_4824.jpeg

Amazon Reviews of the same Product

IMG_4825.jpeg

Or this if you are lucky

IMG_4826.jpeg

Your results may vary

#11 rjparker, Apr 19, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
  12. Seymour1

Seymour1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for your replys.
    I have not ordered anything yet. I emailed the seller and he said that the cable is for diagnosis. He did not mention using it for bleeding brakes. Will this setup (cable and Techstream) also monitor engine, battery, smog, etc conditions?
    If a shop will do the settings of the electronics for the brakes and ABS, etc. for $150, that would be great. I would need to be able to drive the car to a shop 30 or 40 miles away. I saw a youtube where a guy bled his brakes without OBD2. If I do that, would the car be safe to drive? And, are the $83 "keys" the necessary codes to let the S/W work? Or are they keys on your key ring?
    My Win 10 laptop has a CD/DVD player but is a 64 bit computer. I might need to buy an antique 32 bit laptop. Or, can I install a 32 bit operating system?
    I will start viewing youtubes to learn how to do this.
    rj parker, I just ordered a cable and CD from your same seller (winderful-trade6)

13. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you can get it working it is really the same as legal versions except you can’t go online with it and do things like updating ecus or access the Toyota Information System for “live” procedures and schematics with hot links.

I have heard of people doing old school bleeding and limping into a dealer for the proper system level bleeding and calibrations. Some independent shops can do it as well especially those who have done hybrid brake master cylinders. It might be worth finding those guys before you dive in.

The separate software “keys” are just a guy hoping for easy money. Your first vendor will give you a hacked key for use in the hacked software.

Legitimate keys are sold by Toyota by subscription by the day, month or year. Shops or individuals would buy the Professional access to legitimately use Techstream. So if you buy two days from Toyota it works with online access for two days.

IMG_4828.jpeg

Website
    https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/appmanager/t3/ti?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=ti_home_page&goto=https%3A%2F%2Ftechinfo.toyota.com%3A443%2Fagent%2Fcustom-login-response%3Fstate%3Dt4xGMuwqyxydX5AdZrfK5gQ6Vx8&original_request_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftechinfo.toyota.com%3A443%2F

#13 rjparker, Apr 20, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
  14. Seymour1

Seymour1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the info. I have a lot to learn.
    You guys talked me into buying both the master cylinder and the pump. I am too old to do the job twice. I ordered both parts today-$1200. I also ordered the Techstream cable and the S/W that comes with it.
    Right now, I am cleaning the EGR parts. The manifold was easy to clean. The cooler was completely plugged. I poured solvent in one end and nothing came out the other end, even after 3 days. I used carb cleaner, gasoline and brake parts cleaner. I plugged one end and filled it up. Now there is a drip every few seconds. I blasted my pressure washer into it, but that did nothing. Tomorrow, I will buy several cans of brake cleaner, oven cleaner and carb cleaner (and maybe 92% alcohol).

15. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sometimes you have to chuck a piece of solid wire to a drill and push it through.

16. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OVEN CLEANER!
    Spray it in both ends and let it sit for a few minutes, then spray again.
    It will eat the carbon. Since it's clogged, you'll have to spray it several times.
    Let it sit for 30 minutes or so. Then use the pressuer washer to clean it out.

You may also have to us a bicycle spoke or welding rod to bore through it and
    clear it out, at least to get it started.

Since it is so clogged, you may have to use the oven clean/pressure washer a few times.

17. Seymour1

Seymour1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I will keep working at it. I will use a piece of AWG 14 solid wire and try to push it through or drill it through. Thank you for the good suggestion.
    In the meantime, I got my OCC from Amazon. The supplied bracket will not work. There is no vertical surface to mount the brack behind the headlight. I will study how others have mounted it.

18. Seymour1

Seymour1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got it unplugged! The #14 copper wire worked somewhat, but it kept bending. Then, I used a length of light guage coat hanger wire with my drill. It worked better. It takes time. I had to drill every "tunnel", sometimes on both ends. Then I tested some of the tunnels by using the swizzle straw with brake cleaner. The end of the straw will fit into each of the small tunnels. If the tunnel is very clean, the spray will squirt out the other end. On a partly dirty tunnel, the brake cleaner will drizzle out the other end. I am finishing up by using oven cleaner and one more time with the pressure washer.
    Thank you for the good tip. Next, I will install the new brake parts.