1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which way is the Prius c tire thread??

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hey I know y'all have one hiding around here somewhere, a thread with a list of all the tires anyone bothered to try and post about. Right? Or maybe we get to make one?

I'm trying to make some decisions for winter. Everything I've read about the Prius coupled with everything we have experienced in gas-powered FWD cars tells us we are going to need snow tires for this c.

I have a set of rims lying around from another car. I haven't done a test fit yet, but from the specs it looks like they will match up. However, they're 14", which limits the actual tire choices. I found a Nitto NT-SN2 in 195/65R14 which would match the stock tire outer diameter. I've never had a Nitto tire, do not know anything about their winter grip- anyone?

We find that it is worth hanging snow tires from late November through mid-March, maybe April 1 around here.

2. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Your right, somewhere around here is a thread. Not specific to the "C" however if I remember right. Not sure how much snow you get over your way but if it helps to know, we had a few good snows around my area last year. Couple around 4-5", but the stock tires never gave me an issue. I'm assuming yours are Bridgestone's as well? (We mostly get slick roads due to ice/sleet here where I live).

The 14" rims may be enough to throw a code on the "C", so that may be something to consider. Now sure how much they can adjust for at the dealership for different tire sizes. So before buying any tires or even test fitting, it might be worth a call.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well hang on, ours showed up with Goodyear Assurance fuel-max-o-tron pro gold or whatever. Anyway it's a goodyear in 175/65R15, and I've got a tire size calculator telling me that the outside diameter of that setup is 24" overall; 872 revs per mile. The Nitto I found is 24.1", 861 revs per mile. You don't get much closer than that when shift-sizing tires.

How sensitive is this computer anyway?

4. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Couldn't tell you how sensitive it is, but that is pretty close.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Better do a test fit fit first; will these 14" rims even clear the brakes?

As far as I know, the only thing that would upset the car would be using a variety of tire outside diameters, say 3 the same and one odd-ball.

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I will test hang a wheel to verify. I figured a prius wouldn't be likely to have large brakes, but you never know.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm using Corolla 15" steel rims with snow tires on our 2010 Prius; they're fine, but looking through rim opening the caliper shoulder is really close, less than a finger width I think.

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    mind you, this is going onto a c. Everythings a bit smaller.

9. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I have Insight 14” RE92s on my Cobalt at the moment , even after the odometer correction they gave a good FE boost over stock, tempted to leave them on.

10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Kicking this thread with an update.

Today (April 13 2024/81k miles) we retired the factory Goodyear Assurance tires and installed Continental True Contact Tour tires. Premium stuff; the ride is dreamy.

More detailed review to follow.

Pri3C likes this.
  11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    This is a silent squidgy tire. I was all set to go for the General RT43, a known quantity for a quiet comfortable tire. Well, they aren't made in our size anymore. It has been replaced by the RT45.

I'm sure the RT45 is a lovely tire, but once we are away from an old favorite...

I talked to a buddy and he suggested these. I'm really happy with them.

Even on the loud pavement types near me these things eat up the buzz.

The car is more relaxing to drive and the stereo sounds twice as expensive.

Of course, the gas engine seems louder when it kicks in.

These tires feel great so far, but I haven't driven them that much or in iffy weather yet. more details and MPG comparison later as well.

#11 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Apr 14, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
    Pri3C likes this.
  12. Pri3C

Pri3C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    @Leadfoot J. McCoalroller I have the True Contact Tour as well + some snow tires. We had such a mild winter I opted to leave them on this year, and while I could tell a difference between them and the snow tires, they did fine in the little bit of snowy weather I drove in. Solid all season tires. Handles wet rainy roads well.