1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which way would you go home?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by burritos, Feb 20, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I apologize if I've asked this before, I don't remember the answers. There are 2 routes home for me. One is a 11 mile flat freeway jaunt home. It takes 15 minutes. The second route is a 12 mile hilly and windy way home. Very pleasant. Little traffic. Lots of trees. Pitch black at night in the winter. Takes a little under 20 minutes to get home. Which route would you take home.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most of the time I have a somewhat similar choice...I think my distances are almost identical, but one way is highway...55 & 60mph for 2/3rds of the trip...the other 1/3rd is split at the front and back ends of the trip.

The way I choose to go is the hilly, curvy 2 lane, low traffic route. I can often pulse and glide without any other traffic to worry about. I make the trip in close to the same time...maybe 5 minutes more during high traffic times and 10 minutes more on low traffic times (ie 2am going home from a shift in the ER). But my FE is dramatically better on the hilly 2 lane route where I usually never exceed 40mph except on one long downhill section on the way too work where I glide up to about 60mph and let the momentum carry me the next 1/2 mile.

3. toph

toph New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Feb 20 2007, 08:51 PM) [snapback]393612[/snapback]</div>
    If I had your choice I would take this one...little traffic, lots of trees.....99% of the time!

4. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Feb 20 2007, 07:51 PM) [snapback]393612[/snapback]</div>
    I think you answered your own question here. :)

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd take the long way home. On my bicycle. :)

On efusco's route, I'd hit 60 on the big hill and glide the rest of the way... :eek:

6. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would take the 12 mile hilly-but-pleasant route. In fact, that's what I do! It's a no-brainer for me since the back route is about 15% shorter, but I get better mileage on it, too. Just pulse up the hills and glide down the back side.