1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which wires are safe to interrupt ( car disabler)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by terramir, Dec 16, 2015.

1. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

been thinking to myself having an asks system on my prius, and well kinda worried since an "ex friend" "borrowed" my keys and my car the following since the car will start without the remote in slot all you would have to do is clone the RFID chip or get your hands on another remote and do the chicken dance and cut a key to basically Jack my car.
    Enough back story: what I want to do 3d print a plug that would restore the connection to certain wires without you won't be able to start the car. Go Deep in the harness and for example cut the start button lead then with unmarked wires only start if the hidden unique plug is plugged in but what other wires could I use to ensure the car is DOA without harming the functions like SKS alarm etc. Even if they trace the starter wires I don't want them to be able to start the car without the insert. Like for example some things that will stop the car from even turning on but where wires would have to be traced for hours if you dun know what your looking for.
    I would like suggestions but honestly PM's would be better as to not publish the exact locations to car thieves. ;-)
    all suggestions welcome
    terramir
    PS: Got my keys back and for now stop gap measure is brake and steering wheel club, however I would like a better solution. I know something like this has been designed in the past for regular cars.

2. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Sounds like the Delaney plug that my dad had on his 1973 Cutlass Supreme. It was an aftermarket item, round, with multiple male prongs that had to be attached to the female receptacle in order to start the car.. I tried searching for a description or images but found nothing. I would suggest starting with the Prius wiring diagrams to see which wires to cut, and take it from there. Good luck.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Years ago, my mom had a car she bought used, and the DPO had had something like that installed. It was cut into the dash down below the steering column and had a little plastic card with a printed copper pattern that had to be inserted to complete the circuit. Biggest crock I think I ever encountered in a car. Copper wasn't plated, got oxidized, thing had to be jiggled just so or the car wouldn't start. I don't think anybody ever tried to steal the car so we don't know how well it foiled thieves, but I had several opportunities to rescue my stranded mom.

If you are concerned enough, I'd recommend getting another smart key, and chicken-dancing the car to forget the old one and recognize the new one. I don't know what the key costs, it might seem more expensive, but only if you significantly discount your time, hassle, and loss of value from hacked up wiring....

-Chap

4. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Just bypass the brake switch with a hidden toggle switch so that when brake is applied the car can't start as the ECM did not see the brake lite switch pressed or ON. You get the idea..

5. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does this mean if you remove the brake light switch fuse the car is no go? (Read something like that on forum, but I do not know where that fuse is located.
    Also where exactly is the brake light fuse for the iconic prius

6. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah you can put in a toggle in the brake lite switch fuse which would render the brake lite inoperable so thus car no start status.
    Get wiring diagrams here:
    revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd