1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which would you choose? High miles same battery-higher miles, new battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Suebee, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Suebee

Suebee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi! I actually have a 2016 Prius V and love it. Looking for a Prius for my 17 y/o. We only have 5K to spend and need something now. We have 2 2007's we are looking at. One has 160K miles and has not had the battery replaced. The other has 260K miles but DID have the battery replaced (as well as struts and shocks). Both have been maintained pretty well and both seem to be similar enough in features although more dents and dings on the lower mileage car. I know we have a spot in town that either replaces or reconditions Prius batteries for about $1500 so not completely opposed to needing to do it down the road on the lower mileage car. The lower mileage car is $4500, the high miles car is 5K (maybe could get him down a little)
    Any advice would be very much appreciated!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    was the replacement battery a new toyota, or reconditioned something or other?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Suebee

Suebee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Good question. I don't know. I asked him for the VIN so I can do a car fax and I'll see about the battery.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe keep it open to non-hybrid too, say: Corolla, Matrix (or Vibe), Civic or Fit, too. Your money will go further, no potential hybrid battery hassles.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it's not an oem, i would go with the lower mileage car (i think i might anyway) and deal with the battery if necessary. refurbished batteries are an unknown quantity and value.
    if it was installed by art's or luscious, i would talk to them first. i think luscious swore off rebuilds because of the problems though.

agree with mendel ^^^ on non hybrids if you can find a better value.

6. Rph74

Rph74 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the battery is OEM new, I would be inclined towards the higher mileage one. The new struts and shocks is another nice thing. If I remember correctly I spent $500 for the parts and did the job myself. Something close to $1000 to pay someone else.

7. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd lean toward the one with less miles. Battery replaced or not, cars at 250,000 miles are more likely to have a variety if things break down than cars with 150,000 miles. Also, my limited personal experience with cars has been that cars that have had serious problems are more likely to have more, while cars that have not had serious problems are less likely to get them.

8. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Self discharge of the cells in NimH modules becomes a concern as packs age. If your child does not drive often and far enough the modules in the older pack might get out of balance and this could short out the weakest cell of the 168 in the pack sooner than you would expect. So, if the higher mileage Prius does have a relatively fresh OEM pack it probably would be a better choice, but certifying that the replacement pack was new when installed will be challenging.

Wheel bearing replacement on the higher mileage one will most likely need to be done sooner though and the fact the it is probably burning some oil will require that you or your child top it off more frequently than the newer one.

#8 jadziasman, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  9. Suebee

Suebee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi again. Sorry I missed all of these replies, I must not have the notifications set. Anyway we are still in talks with the lower mileage seller. I took the car into an independent mechanic for an inspection. Couple things came up. None were major except C2318 in the transmission and a possible leak ear the timing chain. They said they would but the car of it wasn't for the transmission trouble code. So.. I told the seller who took the car to Toyota. Per seller, they said that the C2318 was from using the wrong battery (not the main one). They also said something about the leak (apparently this can get fixed when you do valve adjusting?) Also they said at some point it will need wheel bearings on passenger side. Does this battery scenario sound right to any of you? Also how much have any of you spent on wheel bearings? The car is listed at $4500. Would you pay that? Thank you.

10. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I had $5500 to spend on a car, would I spend $4500 on one that needed a new 12v battery, has a leak, could possibly have electrical or transmission issues, and would soon need wheel bearings replaced? No. I'd look for a car that was mechanically sound when I bought it.

11. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I second Moving Right Along.

The oil leak near the timing chain isn't a deal breaker but an unresolved diagnostic trouble code is. If the C2318 is not just a weak 12V aux battery let the current owner deal with it. Tell the owner to replace the 12V battery with a new one and see if that clears the code. If not, it could be a real headache tracking down its cause. Do you want to deal with that? I wouldn't.

A front wheel bearing is a little difficult to DIY but it can be done. Expect to pay a mechanic $400 at least per side for that. I did the repair on my driver's side front wheel bearing for only the cost of the OEM wheel bearing ($120) plus my free labor.

Merkey likes this.
  12. vegan

vegan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Pass on both.
    Look for a non-hybrid car that is well maintained.

13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Especially if you have another Toyota, Toyota USA may help with batt replacement cost if it comes up. Especially in CA. So I think I'd be inclined for the lower miles.

15. Suebee

Suebee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok so I have the report from Toyota. They confirmed that the trouble code for the transmission came from using the wrong auxiliary battery, the leak can be fixed with a timing reseal and the one wheel bearing will need to be fixed at some point. I should probably start a new thread but just want to know if these are really pricy fixes. I'm thinking he can come down on the price too.

16. Suebee

Suebee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, do those fixes even need to happen right away? Seller indicated that none of those issues are urgent. The battery works fine, the leak is minor and the bearing just started going bad.

17. Suebee

Suebee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I did that. Hopefully the owner doesn't get some sort of alert. I'd feel kind of bad. It showed lots of maintenance which is good and confirmed what he showed me needs to be done. New 12v battery, timing chain cover reseal and wheel bearing. It did not say anything was wrong with the tranny which is good.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how can you use wrong battery? they are all 12v as far as i know.

any word on the hybrid battery?