1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

while i have the HV battery out of my gen1

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by scotman27, Aug 14, 2013.

1. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    ok,
    i have one bad module in my gen 1 pack and am currently waiting on 3 to come to me. now while i have the pack out and am waiting till they arrive saturday. while im waiting, should i go ahead and recondition/ balance the pack while its out. all i have is a voltmeter and a super brain 977 charger. Also how would I go about doing that, and how is it done. as in what voltages to condition each module at and what amps to charge and discharge at. i plan on doing one module at a time but if theres a way to do more at a time i will. Safely

Or should I just leave the pack alone. my lowest as it is right now is 7.40v and the highest is 7.84v. obviously the pack is unbalanced.

any and all help is appreciated.

i want to get by the next 3-6 months (i could do a loan but i dont feel like it) while i put some funds away for a new gen 3 rebuilt pack at $1750 for one of those, i cant complain about that. and they are only 2 hrs from me.

thank you,
    Scott

2. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Hi Scott,

I had a Battery ECU failure in my Gen1. While waiting for the ECU, I cleaned and sealed the battery terminals and rearrange them such that the highest voltage module pair with the lowest voltage module and the next highest pair with the next lowest. Since the Battery ECU monitors in blocks, i.e. 2 modules, it would see a more balanced blocks. My pack also had higher voltages at both ends than the middle. So I arranged the higher voltages blocks in the middle and the lower voltages at both ends. I had no problem after more than a year until I had to trade in for a Prius C since my COE is expiring.

Vincent

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    what about topping off the battery cells since it will be sitting for the next couple days. will it hurt anything with it not being hooked up to the prius

4. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    So will the prius automatically balance the battery once I get it back together.

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's fine to top off the batteries when it is not hooked up to the Prius.

The Prius will sort of do some balancing itself, but it will not be able to repair a failing pack.

You can do a better job yourself if you spend a lot of time on it and are thorough.
    You've got a lot of blocks to go through. Even if it took only a couple of days per block, it could take you a month to do it right.

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    how would i top them off. meaning what voltage should i run them up to? 7.8? 8.3? and at what amperage.

i would be using my super brain 977 which could charge two at a time individually. its a peak charger. should i just let that charger peak each one out?

i believe i have until saturday around 2:30 pm( my mail man comes by to deliver my modules) and dont leave to go into work until 12pm and i am up at 8am. so at least i have about 12-16 hours to play with this battery to get it ready.

If you want to PM me with instructions on how to do this its up to you.

i really would love to recondition the pack by cycling it but i dont think i have the equipment to do it.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Have you marked each module with their number? You're going to need this unless you record the serial numbers.

If you take the wise advice to physically re-order the modules, wire the remaining modules in parallel . . . there will be sparks and use a fairly heavy gauge wire, 18 gauge. Even so, it will get hot initially as the charges flow from the higher modules to the lower modules. Let them sit of an hour or so.

Make sure the modules are clamped and charge to no more than 8V. Although these modules can go higher in normal operation, 8V is a good upper limit. Measure the voltage before charging with all modules in parallel and rested (i.e., stable.) Then charge and get at least 0.5-1.0 V increase. With 37 modules, you can use a heavier current. Then put a load, say a headlight or 12V bulb on it and bring them down to ~7.5-7.8V and leave them in parallel.

The goal is to raise all module voltage to the same level and then trim discharge them down to the same level.

When the three modules come in, same protocol. I call this 'hillbilly balancing.'

Bob Wilson

8. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes i labeled every module. 1 to 38 starting from the ecu side of the battery.

could i disassemble the pack and turn all the modules so they are positive to positive and neg to neg. then charge them?

what about the current to charge. how many amps should i put to them..

i can choose amperage, mv per cell. time to charge, mah to charge.

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you are going to restack the pack, what vincent1449p suggested, you have little choice. Just take a photo of the original end module orientation or put a "+" mark and "-" mark on where the battery ends (don't want to reverse voltage when done.) Don't worry about putting the base screws back in until you're ready to reassemble.

Now I would follow vincent1449p's experience first as I have not done a 'hill billy' charge balance. I did wire six modules in parallel to sustain charge in the past but I didn't worry about the inrush.

For parallel charge/discharge, having all like terminals on opposite sides will reduce the risk of an accidental short (HOLY CRAP ARC!!!). Be sure and put the compression rods back on before starting the charge cycle.

Wire up one side and then start the second side with your voltmeter monitoring the difference between the parallel connected modules and the next module. As you add each module, you're likely to see an initial arc with each module added . . . the inrush charge. To minimize the inrush, get a power resistor from Radio Shack, 1-0.1 ohm or so and 5W, and clip on first. The resistor will handle the inrush heat load. Then wire the module into the parallel bank.

As for amps, after letting them settle, you can up the amps as they will somewhat balance out.

Remember, hill billy balancing.

Bob Wilson

10. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have one of those ebay turn signal resistors. Wil that work? Your talking about using the resistor if I want to balance the whole pack at once correct.

if I do not use the resistor I could only do 6 or 7 mods at once correct.

I if I charge and discharge the whole pack what should my amps be set at.

and if I only do 6 or 7 at a time what should I set to charge/ discharge my amps at

I just want to make sure that I am getting this right.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Don't these chargers have an option to detect the slight negative voltage slope at the top of the charge and know when they're done that way?

-Chap

12. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes, my superbrain 977 will detect peak voltage but is that's safe to allow a Prius battery pack to go to peak voltage?

13. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    also what amperage is should I be charging and discharging this battery pack at. I am going to try and charge the whole battery pack at once in parallel after letting the cells equalize.

if I only do 6 or 7 modules at a time what should I be charging and discharging those at

14. EV_Cor

EV_Cor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The way I top up a Prius pack is possible without even removing it from the car, but has high voltage so only do it if you know what you are doing!
    I use a high voltage power supply (up to 380V, 0.4A or somewhere around there, it is not precise) and I measure the voltage of the pack. If the pack is lower than 250V then I start with 3 standard lightbulbs (no more than 60W each and all equal wattage) in series between supply and pack. Once the pack is above 250V, I use only a single lightbulb and this will dim while the pack is increasing in voltage to above 330V, then it will stop rising and slowly warm up a little while the voltage drops slightly. That is when the NiMH cells are full. You can keep charging at this low rate for some time to make sure that all cells show the same voltage (you will see all modules creep to the same ~8.7V over time). If you start with a completely depleted pack, it might take 10 hours of charging, since we are using a relatively low and safe current of less than 1/2 Amp. If the pack is already pretty full or it is near worn out (low capacity) then the voltage will reach the reversal point much sooner. If you want to lower the current even more, use lower wattage bulb(s). One great source of rugged 20W bulbs are broken Microwaves that you can pick up for free (on Craigslist). My 380V power supply is a 130W multi-voltage (100-240V) switching supply that I had lying around and which has a PFC front-end, generating that 380V (non-isolated!) for the isolated DC/DC converter that generates the output voltage of that 130W supply. In other words - zero-cost HV pack charger - if you know what you are doing. Volt meter to check voltage and polarity *before* connecting and also powering up the supply *before* connecting the pack are required to avoid blowing up stuff. Success.

15. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    the pack is hooked up in parallel, the whole pack. so far its evening out at 7.46v and ill let it sit for and hour or maybe overnight and get up tomorrow morning and start charging it.. I didnt need a resistor, i had no sparks at all. i just went slow as i put the wire around the terminals. all positives are on one side and all negatives on the other side.
    the bad module is at the end not connected to the pack because its bad. im just using that as a way to hold the pack under compression.

I hope im doing this right. before i connected all the modules together I wrote down the voltages, and am making a chart of which highest modules should go with the lowest modules.

bwilson4web likes this.
  16. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Ok I left for work but before I did I shut off.the charger. I had it charging at 3.5 amps For a hour and a half. It was up to 7.94v. Is that good enough or should I go to 8.3v then discharge to 7.8v.

Help is appreciated.

17. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Stop.
    I would not recommend balance charging these packs at such a high rate! (3.5 amps?).
    Especially as you near higher SOC it can be dangerous and damaging to these cells.

Notice that EV_cor said his high voltage charger does 0.4amps NOT 4.0amps.
    Huge difference.

18. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you have all the modules connected in parallel each module has a capacity of 6.5 AH (discharged to fully charged) so you have a total capacity of 6.5 AH x 38 = 247 AH.
    If you are charging at 3.5 amps this will take "given no losses" 78.5 hours to fully charge.
    Each module "assuming they take an even share of the current" will be charged at 0.0921 amps (or 92 ma).
    To charge at a reasonable level of 0.5 amp per module you need to be charging at 18 to 20 amps. Even at this rate of charge, from discharged to fully charged will take about 14 hours allowing for some losses.
    Connecting all the modules in parallel give you one very high capacity 247 AH 7.2 volt battery.

John (Britprius)

usnavystgc likes this.
  19. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Double post.

John (Britprius)

20. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I believe he is charging the modules in parallel not series so his charge rate is safe but will take forever to charge.

John (Britprius)