1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

while i have the HV battery out of my gen1

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by scotman27, Aug 14, 2013.

1. hozer

hozer New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a theory if you leave the safety plug disconnected a long time, the sense resistors/circuitry in the battery ecu will drain bank 10 faster than the rest of the pack self-discharges. Either that or I've got two modules in that slot that are almost exactly the same amount worse than the rest. (started at around 7.5v while the rest were at 8)

And correcting it, in theory, involves the following hack-tasticalness

[​IMG]

2. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    wow what is that setup you got going there?

3. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    and where can i get new black vent tubes or what can i soak those in to get rid of the smell from those. (the tubes that attach to the modules)

4. hozer

hozer New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it's a regular 10 amp 12V battery charger (not pictured) with some analog gauges from a local surplus place (one has a 1-5 amp current, the other is 0-15volts. The voltage one doesn't do a whole lot of good, but the amp gauge and fuse are kinda important, and I'm just **VERY CAREFULLY** charging bank 10.

After doing a charge 3-4 different times for about an hour each (with a couple of test-drives in-between), I think I've mostly balanced things out. The real test will be when I drive a long distance and the pack warms up. Here's hoping for another 100k miles on this pack, by which time I hope to be able to replace the ECU with an open-source hardware one and the batteries with salvaged supercapacitors from some new electric.

As for the hoses, I recall someone mentioning WD-40 somewhere else.

5. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    wont capacitors discharge themselves to 0v after a couple hours tho. i know they can store energy but i dont know how fast they lose it