1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

While I wait for the dealer to get me approved...

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Akira Takamedo, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Akira Takamedo

Akira Takamedo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After driving an hour and a half to a dealer in NJ after confirming twice they had a 2013 I was interested in only to have them tell me it was sold, I decided to ask them to run numbers on a new Prius because I wanted to waste their time like they wasted mine. Yeah, I was angry.

So I thought about it and I wanted to look at new ones at a local dealership. They have a gray Prius Two that I thought was fantastic, and I also tried out a Prime. Very happy with who I was working with and filled out a credit app. Right now I'm waiting on them to call me back about approval.

Hopefully it works out. I think for my current situation the best option is to lease. I don't like leases, but my plan is to lease for the low payments now, take advantage of the service offers, and finance my buyout. Seems basically the same as straight up finance anyway. The reason why I opted for the Prius over the Prime is because I love the gray color and our house doesn't have a garage or an outlet outside, so I can see charging to be an issue. Ironically I work at a Chevy dealership and I can't see management taking too kindly if I ask to charge my new Toyota, so that's probably out too. I felt the Prime wasn't worth it for my particular case.

I'm reconsidering, part of me likes to futureproof stuff, but on the other hand like I said I have no real way to charge an electric car right now, who knows if we get a bigger house in a few years though. I also can foresee the two seats in the back thing being a problem some point down the line. The Prime does have some nice tax incentives, though.

Plus I love that gray color. I think they had a black Prime but it was a top of the line trim.

So basically I'm torn between the Prius Two and the Prime while I wait for my (hopeful) approval.

RCO likes this.
  2. BlueCrushSteve

BlueCrushSteve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Check with your State on Plug-in rebates, the Prime might be less to purchase. May be a moot point on leasing.

3. BlueCrushSteve

BlueCrushSteve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    $750 rebate and a $4500 federal tax credit.

RCO likes this.
  4. Akira Takamedo

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah the incentives are definitely nice, that's why it's still on the table in my mind, like I said I don't know how I'll be able to charge it though besides the public chargers, and losing the seat in the back kind of stinks. I like everything else about it, though.

5. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You're probably going to take a bath if you go for a lease and then buy out the residual. If you're certain you want to own it after 3 years, and you can afford the payments, then go straight to financing.

I did a 2-yr lease on a 2014 waiting for the 2016 to come out. I returned it a month early with waaay fewer miles than allowed (~18k out of 24) and when I returned it the residual was several thousand more than it was worth. Add non-zero financing on top and it makes even less financial sense.

RCO likes this.
  6. Akira Takamedo

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The only reason I've opted for lease is because the payments are lower, maybe pay up some more after I get my raise which is due in about two and a half months, and I kind of want to leave the door ajar for an upgrade down the line. These cars can last for a long time, but maybe by then I'll possibly be looking at a Prius with an electric option. Just because I can't accommodate one now doesn't mean I can't later.

That's really it though, lower payments and leaving the door open for future upgrades.

By the way I called to check on any updates and I guess the deal they're working out is specifically for the Two, so I guess the original topic is slightly moot.

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely DO NOT concur on (f)leasing.....and if you work for a dealership then you should already know all of the reasons why.

Since you DO work for a dealership then we will just leave it at that.
    Chevy makes PHEVS, and so there should be no problem with them allowing you to charge your car at work.
    Ask them.
    You might be surprised.
    Edit: we just posted at the same time, so I guess charging at work is out.

too bad.

Best of luck with the Prius...

RCO likes this.
  8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    RCO likes this.
  9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Duplicate Post

#9 JimboPalmer, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Prime is not an EV. If it is not plugged in it is just a Prius with a bigger battery. If a car's configuration doesn't meet your expectations then there's no point buying it.

RCO likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can run an extension cord outside to charge it.

RCO likes this.
  12. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One difference with PRIME is 4 seats vs 5. If you can get power to charge (and at a good price), it will be cheaper to run a PRIME. Sadly, they don't sell them here.

Gen 4 is a far superior car to the 2013 you intended to test-drive.

RCO likes this.